• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swamp Thing #10 - I can't figure this out.

7 posts in this topic

Ok so the book looks real nice.

st10hgta4.th.jpg st10hgbjc8.th.jpg

But then you tilt it under the light and there's this:

1000935kd9.th.jpg

There are these patchy areas where the gloss seems gone. I can't say it is a stain because I can't see it unless I tilt the book. I can't say it's water damage because it's not rippled. Strange.

So any thoughts on how to grade this or what that is? frustrated.gif

You need to tighten the resolution of your scans...pixels are too far spread out.

as for the loss of gloss you notice on an angle... does the texture feel different?? I'd think that would be due to a foreign agent being spilled on the back cover and dulling the inks a bit. Or left on or near a heat source that branded the book.

I would say grade it as if it didn't exist if you can't feel a difference in the texture of the paper.

You need to tighten the resolution of your scans...pixels are too far spread out.

as for the loss of gloss you notice on an angle... does the texture feel different?? I'd think that would be due to a foreign agent being spilled on the back cover and dulling the inks a bit. Or left on or near a heat source that branded the book.

I would say grade it as if it didn't exist if you can't feel a difference in the texture of the paper.

Yeah I was going to work on those pictures, but the point of my post was really to discuss the blotchiness on the back cover. I just posted those because I figured people would want to see the whole book.

It looks like a 9.0 at worst in hand, but I want to know how to factor in this back cover thing.

There's a difference in the texture judging from the scan - looks like something like a spilled can of soda or something was set on the BC. Without it an easy 9.2...with it I would probably drop it to a 7.5 maybe more... The FC is nice though

I had a Spidey # 1 that someone had spray painted a model on the cover and once i sent it to Matt it was gorgeous. Rafffled it off to benefit a dog pound and got $2,500 the only perfect part of the comic besides the inside and BC was a outline of the model perfect. 27_laughing.gif

We need a much larger scan to identify your book please

Unless I'm misunderstanding the angled scan, it just looks like a straightforward stain to me, albeit one with no discoloration or rippling (like the book came into contact with something, but whatever it was was quickly wiped off). It's conceivable that the back cover was even flattened under heavy books or something to remove any warping or rippling before it started.

Hard to grade the book without having it in hand, but I'll throw out a guess of 7.0.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the angled scan, it just looks like a straightforward stain to me, albeit one with no discoloration or rippling (like the book came into contact with something, but whatever it was was quickly wiped off). It's conceivable that the back cover was even flattened under heavy books or something to remove any warping or rippling before it started.

Hard to grade the book without having it in hand, but I'll throw out a guess of 7.0.

Yeah good point about liquid possibly being quickly wiped away. If ripples were flattened out, the person did a good job b/c when you look at the back cover it looks fine (until you get it under the light correctly of course). I've been having bad luck with Swampy's lately. Everytime they look NM, I always turn up 1 serious flaw. Stinkin ebay.