• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie #1 reprint

44 posts in this topic

Hi folksI do enjoy reading these boards! Finally I have something to share!

GREAT NEWS!:

Coming soon Archie story from Pep #22, the entire contents of Archie #1 plus a new story where 2007 Archie meets 1941 Archie!

Its in the regular size Archie Comics Digest (I forgot the number) that goes on sale in mid July!

I got this info straight from Victor Gorelick of Archie Comics, last weekend at NY Comic Con! I saw black & white photo stats of the new story!

Archie #1 is a GREAT read! All the stories if memory serves are drawn my Montana, and there were some strange dream sequences involving Archie, Betty, Jughead and Veronica that were a bit risque! Please let me know when it hits the stands, I'll buy a copy for sure!

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

I went to the Archie Comics website to see if the upcoming digest was mentioned. In doing so, I saw an "Archie in spanish" link that was different from what I had seen in the past. I always like to read those for practice in spanish.

In the spanish issue they have on the website, it has the first Archie story from Pep #22, in spanish, as well as the page 1 introduction from Archie #1.

The spanish issue is from 2005.

Are the contents of this upcoming digest from one of the 2005 regular Archie comics? It seems that it could be copied from a 2005 Archie issue when they were celebrating the 65th anniversary.

I'm curious because I would like to have the regular issue from the 65th anniversary if there is one.

Image26.jpg

Image32.jpg

I do buy and read all of the new Archie Comics and Archie Digest. (yeah all of them!) None of this appeared there.

Mr Gorelick did mention they were including the Pep #22 story even though it was available in the Archie Americana trade paperback. When he first mentioned it to me, he was suprised I didn't already know it was coming.

the digest editor Nelson Ribeiro did mention to me, that an Archie story must be 5 years old to appear in a digest, then it must be 5 years since its last reprinting to appear again.

I spent as much time as I could with the Archie folk and they were all very nice, they had to think I was a bit of a freak I'm sure!

Archie just posted this on their web site, also includes a pic of the cover!

Happy 65th Anniversary, Archie!

Industry News, Scoop, Friday, April 06, 2007

It's hard to believe America's favorite teenager is 65 years old. But it's really true. Though his first appearance was in December 1941's Pep Comics #22, the very first Archie Comics issue was published in winter of 1942.

To pay tribute to Archie’s longevity, Archie Comics will be releasing a special issue of Archie Digest, reprinting Archie’s very first adventures from Pep Comics #22 and Archie Comics #1! From Archie being a hapless showoff when Betty moves into town, to Archie being a tongue-tied, discombobulated wreck when Veronica moves into town, these early stories written by Vic Bloom and others reflect the free-wheeling fun of the popular screwball comedy movies of the day. Not to mention the charmingly exaggerated cartooning styles of Bob Montana and others so popular in the 1940s.

As if that weren’t enough, the original “funny animal” supporting features like Squoimy the Woim, Cubby the Bear and Bumbie the Bee-tective, from the legendary Joe Edwards are also included.

If you’ve never seen Archie and his friends as they originally appeared, you’re in for a treat with these milestone tales... as well as a brand new story created in homage to the gang – “When Archie Meets Archie”: On the eve of his 65th anniversary, Archie Andrews meets... himself! At least, the version of himself that appeared in Archie’s first story! After Archie gets used to calling his other self “Chic,” he ends up meeting the vintage Jughead and Betty, too – also drawn 1940s style.

Whether you're an avid Archie collector or just someone who remembers him fondly from childhood and adolescence, this issue of Archie Digest is definitely a must-have. It ships July 4, 2007 and retails for $2.49.

Heres the URL in case you want to see the cover!

http://www.news.archiecomics.com/

I have a few of the reprint books... the 40's, the 50's, etc. I wish they'd do some hardcover books like the archives or masterworks. Who can we email? And, please remind us when the digest hits. I might not remember to look this July 4th? thumbsup2.gif

I wish they'd do some hardcover books like the archives or masterworks.

I'd also be interested in a chronological collection of the earliest Archie stories.

I have a vague recollection of a facsimile reprint of Archie #1 being published many years ago, possibly sometime in the 1980s. Maybe Archie Comics produced it as a subscription premium, I really don't know. Does anyone know about this, or was/am I just imagining things?

I just got the Archie Digest #236 today (Wed 07-11-07). Don't know when it came out, but grabbed it as soon as I saw it.

Looks pretty good. It's certainly well worth the $2.49 cover price.

There's a 4-page text introduction by Jeffrey C. Branch, then the reprint of Pep #22, followed immediately by the reprint of Archie #1 (yes, the funny animals and the puzzle pages are included).

The stories from Archie #1 appear to be re-lettered; the Pep #22 story is not.

After that comes Victor Gorelick's Editor's Notebook (where he writes, "I would like to know if you enjoyed reading this issue and would enjoy seeing other reproductions of Archie comics that were popular way back then.")

Finally, the new story where the 2007 Archie meets the 1942 Archie. It had its moments, but I didn't really care for it. And why is Archie's supposedly-preferred nickname "Chick" spelled without the "k" in the new story?

Finally, I wonder if some of the topical references may go over the heads of today's readers. The "Pancakes In A Blackout" story, for example. Perhaps a brief article explaining some of these things should have been included.

But hey - overall, it's a nice presentation, and as stated definitely worth the $2.49. Upscale projects like DC's Archives, the Marvel Masterworks, and Gemstone's EC series are lovely, but it's nice to be able to buy a reprint that doesn't require a dust jacket once in a while.

I'm headed out the door now to find a copy!

Get me one while you're out 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm going to get a copy as well tomorrow. I remember reading Archie #1 when I owned a complete copy a couple years ago, and I recall thinking that a couple of stories seemed far too risque to ever be reprinted. There was a bizarre dream sequence in one of the stories involving Archie, Betty and Jughead...