• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer

19 posts in this topic

Now I would have to say that I have loved Silver Surfer books for quite some time, even tho at the end of the last series it was really tough with the bad artwork and weak storyline. With the new series out I was wondering what others thought, as my opinions seem to be held on reserve until a couple issues into it. The only thing I can say so far is that the artwork is so not what I expected, which is a bad thing.....i would love to hear from others.....if there was anyone else who picked it up. I will be reading it later on today and hope the story picks it up some.

I mentioned this on another post, but I was thrown off to see the Surfer only show up until the end of the issue. I was excited to see the Surfer back on the shelf. The cover looked familiar, similar to the 80s series? Art was strange and new, not appealing to me. So IMO, it was a weak start, but I'll still check it out for a while before I decide whether to add it to my weekly subs.

Like Darth, I passed on #1 the other day as well. I flipped thru it, but was turned off by the art (doesn't fit w/ the Surfer, IMO). I'll wait and see what the concensus is before I add it to my list.

Chris

Now I would have to say that I have loved Silver Surfer books for quite some time, even tho at the end of the last series it was really tough with the bad artwork and weak storyline.

Wouild you include the Garney issues in this analysis?

Jim

thought the first issue of surfer was rediculous. the art didn't fit (although it isn't bad). where's ron lim? if he was drawing the book again, maybe we could get a different take with some action... i think norrin radd needs space bound adventures... not an exploration of his "alien" routes here on earth. The writer on this book has really missed the boat on the character in relation to his present development. I'll flip through the Surfer on the stands, but I doubt I'll buy another issue.

read somewhere(wizard?) that they were going to explore SS's alien side prior to reading #1. I found the art to be okay, but just average. SS is supposedly going to be mysterious for the first two issues saying only about two words the whole time.

I guess they have done the alienated alien(vol. 1)...cosmic alien and comical alien(vol.3) so vol. 4 is just plain weird alien. Issue 3 better be a big bang or it'll be dropping off planet earth again.

Ron Lim draws a book for Bob Layton's Future Comics. I think it's called Metallix.

Recently, Jim Starlin was asked about who would do the art on Thanos when he takes a break after drawing the first six issues. Ron Lim was mentioned as his first choice. That would be awesome, but would new Marvel allow it?

Kev

. the art didn't fit (although it isn't bad). where's ron lim? if he was drawing the book again, maybe we could get a different take with some action... i think norrin radd needs space bound adventures

I agree w/ 'killer. Space bound adventures, drawn by Ron Lim. He was such a good artist for the character. And, way under-rated, IMO. His art was crisp, clean, and dynamic. He drew the best Surfer besides Kirby. Yep, better than Buscema! shocked.gif

Chris

Ron Lim's late-80's and early 90's Cap and Silver surfer books are very unapreciated, mostly because people are writing off this era as crapolla, even though they are great books IMO. If he drew this new Surfer book, I'd definetly be on board.

74638335496.38.GIF

14462577792.383.GIF

Ron Lim's late-80's and early 90's Cap and Silver surfer books are very unapreciated, mostly because people are writing off this era as crapolla, even though they are great books IMO. If he drew this new Surfer book, I'd definetly be on board.

74638335496.38.GIF

14462577792.383.GIF

If anyone is interested, I have an absolutely cherry (no , 9.6-9.8 all) run of Surfers from this time period I'd like to move.

Rom Lim was the only one who drew surfer like he is supposed to be.....reconizable.....not some shapeless blob with no features like he became at the end.....and also the stories were interesting at that time

AK - right on. My favorite cap run ever is the "Streets of Poison" penciled by Lim. He's a true underappreciated super star! Cap 374 comes to mind . . .

(if only I could figure out how to lift the image from mile high tongue.gif)

DAM

AK - right on. My favorite cap run ever is the "Streets of Poison" penciled by Lim. He's a true underappreciated super star! Cap 374 comes to mind . . .

DAM

Ummm,..Like this Dave...

cap.JPG

DAM

Ummm,..Like this Dave...

cap.JPG

JD - you cheated!! You brought the pic to your server before you hosted it! tongue.gif I was trying to rip off their bandwith / storage space.

Thanks for the pic though, I love that cover!!!

DAM

Ron Lim draws a book for Bob Layton's Future Comics. I think it's called Metallix.

Recently, Jim Starlin was asked about who would do the art on Thanos when he takes a break after drawing the first six issues. Ron Lim was mentioned as his first choice. That would be awesome, but would new Marvel allow it?

Kev

I am a big Ron Lim fan too. His Surfer work was fantastic and greatly underappreciated. Hope he gets asked to do it.

I doubt Lim will return to the Surfer right away because they want to try something completely different with him. After Marz left the surfer, the writing went in the toilet on the book. The Surfer is a tough character because he's so powerful... but in the cosmic arena, there's a lot that could be done with him still...

Maybe Lim will make it back on Thanos after Starlin. Lim was a Marvel star back in the early 90s... I wish Marvel still had him around.