• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My WonderCon MONSTER Deal: How did I do??

113 posts in this topic

Ben, it was great to bump into you at the show - I could really tell that your blood was pumping for a 'Tec 31!

Oftentimes when I trade, I think in terms of not what I could possibly get for a book, but more of what I actually have invested in the book. Makes things more palatable down the road...

Hope to see you again at Wizard L.A. (if you're attending).

STEVE

Likewise Steve. Yah, in looking at it that way I did really really good. But, I am happy with my Tec, so that's what counts!

I'll admit, however, that the price I'd pay for a generic Action #13 in unrestored 4.5 is higher than the price I'd pay for the copy in your scan. That printing error in the colors on the logo is a significant visual defect, no matter what the stated grade on the slab, and certainly should be factored into the valuation. I'd say $4k or so is a more appropriate price for that book.

Yes. I agree. I think the book would fetch $4000-$4500, but I think Harley will tag it at $4500-$4800...the printing error noted on the CGC label didn't bother me too much...it actually looked like the colors had faded, but you could tell the printer had run out of ink...I showed it to Borock Friday and he said I could send it in to review the notes and the page quality..probably would have received OFF-WHITE pages as Steve said they were much tighter on page quality 7 years ago...no guarantees that the printing error notes would be removed...

by coincidence i was at wondercon saturday afternoon and i overheard a dealer (at terry's comics) discussing the scarcity of certain books with a customer and he specificly mentioned that action 13 was harder to find than action 1. i guess your deal was done later. most of the time you don't get full value in trade from a dealer but you got a book you really wanted. enjoy your nice pickup.

i went looking for a golden age book that had a gerber scarcity of 6 and thought i would be lucky to find one copy. three dealers had copies and one dealer had 4 copies in various grades so i got the best copy for a reasonable price. i also saw 2 copies on ebay. although the book is not common, i guess i'm lucky few other people want it unlike early actions or detectives.

jt

Thanks JT..I was at Terry's booth twice for an extended period. I did show the Action to Terry, so maybe that conversation occured after I left to do the deal.

Yo PT,

Here is my take,

Am 15 all day ebay $3500.00

FF#1 All Day Ebay $3500.00

Action #13 $2000.00 Tough call, would love this one tough to find might go

Although I may be biased here..........I would definitely place a higher value on the Action #13 as compared to the 2 SA books. In those conditions, they are indeed available all day long on eBay.

Yah, the SA books were an after thought hi.gif

hello all...

PT, sometimes passion for a book, outweighs the cost/value...we all have gotten some bargains, and we all have taken it in the shorts, at one time or another...as long as you are happy with the deal, then I say you did great, and I will congratulate you!...

that said, from a non biased opinion (since you asked) I think this copy of 31 is a gd+ at best (maybe you could push to a gd/vg, but I wouldn't based on your description of having the book in person)...it is likely "worth", at best, $7k to $8k, even in todays' inflated pre robin tec, 2x+ guide market....that said, you did get rid of 2 "common" SA keys (as someone else mentioned, the AF and FF are easy to pick up in that grade)....now, the action 13 is rare, even with the fading, and I agree with Win, $4K minimum value should be placed on that book today (give or take)...but, since you got slabbed 7 years ago, you probably don't have anywhere near that amount into the book, so my next analysis only takes into account today's market, not what you paid for the books...that said, from a strictly numbers standpoint, an $8K book for $12Kish ($1K cash, too) worth of books is not a good deal for me (again, just my opinion, not trying to deflate your enthusiasm at all)....but, as said, as long as YOU are happy, then fantastic, don't worry about what the rest of us geeks say, just enjoy one of the best Batman Books every produced!

rick

Nicely stated Rick 893applaud-thumb.gif Thank you for your comments. Thank you all for your feedback..I am thrilled to own the book, although this thread has allowed me to see even more how scarce that Action 13 really is. But, alas, I am happy to own probably the top 1 or 2 Bat covers of all time. I did not have that much invested in the Action, so I guess it was the potential value that I was not sure of. I was guessing 2x minimum ($3600), but I really don't know how much the printing error would affect the value. But I think Win's approx. of $4k is a very nice guess...

There is somethin about a full moon...rolling fog...and..THE BAT-MAN! headbang.gif

Plus, you absolutely should not expect to make a $1.00=$1.00 trade with a major dealer. I think $1.40=$1.00 is the minimum expectation, and if you get a significantly tighter margin then I don't think the dealer is going to be in business for too long.

totally agree on this point,.. one last thing I'll say is, I realize that this was an impulse buy of sorts, being at the closing of the con, and we've all been there before, however, I feel that you would have done much better by simply selling those 3 books for cash to collectors, and then buying the 'Tec #31 outright, although I know that may have taken some time, the price realized for the Action #13 may have shocked you, as it only takes one collector who really wants it and has been looking for a copy for a long time,..I know of at least 4-5 people who have been looking for an Action #13, I guess the real test will be how much Harley ends up selling that book for.

Another point I had thought about, but I didn't want to be $9k in the hole and having to worry about pushing the books...I knew I could sell the Action quick, but who's to say how long it would have taken to get, say, $3500 and $2250 for the SA keys...but yah, I was hot for the book at the midnight hour takeit.gif

Ben, First of all it was great meeting you at the show. It's so cool to meet other collectors with the same passion for these treasures.

Here's my '2-cents' on your deal... I look upon your Tec 31 similarly to the way I feel about my Tec 29. I gave some thought to what you gave up to get the Tec 31, and if I was presented the same potential deal to acquire my Tec 29, it would take me all of about 10 seconds to say "Let's do the deal".

The AF 15 and the FF 1 are easily replaceable IMO. And of course as far as the $1000, you can always make more cash. Now the Action #13 is the 'kicker' of course. It's a very special book with a cool cover. BUT, the Tec 31 is an iconic book with probably one of the most famous and popular covers throughout the Golden Age era. It's a cover that every Tec collector searches for, and every comic book collector would love to own, period.

P.S. The fading color of the lettering of the Action 13 would really bother me anyway. Although it's a very tough book, over-all eye appeal is everything and with that faded color lettering, the eye appeal is lacking somewhat.

Translation: You did good. thumbsup2.gif

i feel GREAT! thanks John! cloud9.gif Kinda like you felt when you got yer Tec 29 in the mail yay.gif

There is somethin about a full moon...rolling fog...and..THE BAT-MAN! headbang.gif

hello all...

I agree with you...now, if you are not opposed to restroation, I bet you could get that bad boy looking even sweeter!...but, raw the way it is, is still a treat!

rick

hello all...

I agree with you...now, if you are not opposed to restroation, I bet you could get that bad boy looking even sweeter!...but, raw the way it is, is still a treat!

rick

I'll go with raw for now! Might slab it later though...

Lets also focus on the Tec 31. As rare as the Action 13 is, Tec 31 (while less rare) do not come up for sale in unrestored condition and always seem to end up with Metropolis anyway. Is it only a $10,000 book? Call it $12000 and the deal is 1:1

I'm sure Harley know how hot pre Robin Tecs are but does he really know how hot they are? Its starting to get ridiculous, but 31 is Batmans 3rd best book IMO. If it weren't jor the Joker 1st appearance I'd even say better than Batman 1. Action 13 will always have the rarity factor at todays supply, but Tec 31 has demand that can not be equalled.

Nearly full cover still attached with attached centerfold. No restoration and no significant flaws (within grade) to detract the classic cover image. On money alone you probably lost $500-$1000. In terms of growth potential I'm guessing you will make out in two years. Granted, you probably won't sell but thats my take. And the $500 - $1000 you may have lost is equivalent to any fees you would have to pay ebay or others.

Ed

Lets also focus on the Tec 31. As rare as the Action 13 is, Tec 31 (while less rare) do not come up for sale in unrestored condition and always seem to end up with Metropolis anyway. Is it only a $10,000 book? Call it $12000 and the deal is 1:1

hello all...

that is just it...a nice unrestored Vg ish copy just sold this past month for $10K, several vg/fn's sold in the $13,500+ range in the last 6 months, and at least one gd/vg sold for $8K...Harley had shopped the book around a bit, and did not get a bite at $9500...a copy in gd+ (or gd/vg) is not a $12K book in todays market, it is an $8K book, but as PT has said, he is happy with it, so we all should be, but let's call apples, apples cool.gif !

rick

I'm sure Harley know how hot pre Robin Tecs are but does he really know how hot they are? Its starting to get ridiculous, but 31 is Batmans 3rd best book IMO. If it weren't jor the Joker 1st appearance I'd even say better than Batman 1. Action 13 will always have the rarity factor at todays supply, but Tec 31 has demand that can not be equalled.

Nearly full cover still attached with attached centerfold. No restoration and no significant flaws (within grade) to detract the classic cover image. On money alone you probably lost $500-$1000. In terms of growth potential I'm guessing you will make out in two years. Granted, you probably won't sell but thats my take. And the $500 - $1000 you may have lost is equivalent to any fees you would have to pay ebay or others.

Ed

These are all very good points Ed. Thank you. yes, the Tec 31 doesn't come up unrestored too much, and the demand is super high, although not as rare as the Action 13. And with the new guide coming out next month, prices should keep increasing on both books... thumbsup2.gif

do you have a back cover scan of this book Primetime ? just curious.

hello all..

I have a scan, if anyone wants to email me for it...can't get it to load right now

rick

hello all...

that is just it...a nice unrestored Vg ish copy just sold this past month for $10K, several vg/fn's sold in the $13,500+ range in the last 6 months, and at least one gd/vg sold for $8K...Harley had shopped the book around a bit, and did not get a bite at $9500...a copy in gd+ (or gd/vg) is not a $12K book in todays market, it is an $8K book, but as PT has said, he is happy with it, so we all should be, but let's call apples, apples cool.gif !

rick

thanks Rick! thumbsup2.gif...and in 4-5 years it will likely hit the $10k-$12k price range most likely...i'm just another 893applaud-thumb.gif GA collector!

hello all..

I have a scan, if anyone wants to email me for it...can't get it to load right now

rick

A scan of the Tec 31 or Action 13? Sorry, I wasn't sure...

hello all..

rick

'Tec #31

Yo PT,

Here is my take,

Am 15 all day ebay $3500.00

FF#1 All Day Ebay $3500.00

Action #13 $2000.00 Tough call, would love this one tough to find might go higher

Cash $1000.00

Total IMHO $10,000.00

I disagree on that Action price. I might pay $6000 for one of those in that condition.

A source just mentioned to me that Harley sold the Action 13...If anyone finds out for how much...LMK...I am curious to know 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hello all..

rick

'Tec #31

hey dude-

it's at the beginning of my thread....

hello all..

rick

'Tec #31

hey dude-

it's at the beginning of my thread....

the back cover ?? I don't see it.