• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

893applaud-thumb.gif Very sweet book! I LOVE seeing books like that, that I've never seen before. WAY TOO COOL! I'd have to get it as well!

Did Hyper Publications do any other books other than Hyper #1 and 2?

Timely

Did Hyper Publications do any other books other than Hyper #1 and 2?

Not that I've been able to find. I'm sure there's a good story behind those guys.

MY NEW GOAL: I aspire to be the Ian Levine of Hyper Publications!! Only one more book to go! (Unless there are some rare promotionals I'm unaware of).

That's it!! What a cool, obscure comic. That could be one of the 10 worst costumes of all time. What's that, a seashell on his chest?

The story is unreal, an absolute Golden Age classic. They weren't kidding when they wrote the word "Romance" on the cover. The hero, Hyper the Phenomenal (who for some reason is never called Hyper the Phenomonal, only "Don-Vin"), is trying to save his girl Winifred, but the evil princess Dolores wants him to herself. Here's a quote from Dolores: "You saved my life Don-Vin and I love you. Let Winifred die. I'll make you forget her."

It's just embarrassingly bad, and fantastic. My issue of #2 has the conclusion of the story from your 1st issue. So, if you've been dying to know how it comes out, PM me. And get therapy.

Yeah, the costume is lame but it's a terrific book for an obscure company! The cover on your #2 looks much more inviting to me. I don't remember reading it but I may have to open it up (not slabbed) since I just noticed "DISCO - The Boy Detective", 35 years before his time.

Two recent purchases:

This from eBay, a perfect VG.

exciting58vg.jpg

And this is my latest Heritage win. It's an apparent VF and the restoration according to Heritage is pieces added and color touch. I can only find some minor color touch (black ink spots below the aligator splash). I can't find where pieces were added. Any hints on discovery would be appreciated since this is my only restored book. (Plus, I got it for less than the Good price. I consider it an absolute steal.)

rulah22vf_r.jpg

Beautiful books. Here's a trivia question: How many Golden Age comics have rhinos on the cover? That might be a very fun subset to collect and display. Or, if the answer is "one", then congrats, you've got them all!

As for Heritage, I swear that their grading on unslabbed books has gotten miles tighter than it was 12 months ago. Just look at some of the stuff they've got up now. You mean to tell me that the Hangman #2 (what a cover!!!!) is merely G/VG, even with the flaws they describe?

Here's the cover, not because I want to judge their grading, but because I think it's wicked cool. The green background, the rope logo, the clock bondage, the gallows....they don't make 'em like this anymore.

1-1073705287.jpg

Ok, as a newbie poster, I believe I misappropriated the "have a cigar" concept by posting a cool cover that I don't actually have in my possession. I apologize for that transgression. sorry.gif

To get the thread back on track, I'm going to post my ALL-TIME FAVORITE non-obscure Golden Age cover!! This was also the very first comic that I ever dropped "big bucks" on (over $500 many years ago, back when it was really stupid for me to spend $500 on a comic). Yes, it's restored, but I don't care, because I'm emotionally attached to this issue in a way that my wife says is a little bit creepy.

1-1073702184.jpg