• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,420 posts in this topic

CentaurMan, judging by your name, you'll probably appreciate this 1938 book. Amazing Mystery Funnies #1: One of the rarest Centaurs, and the first ever Bill Everett cover. 437725-scan0008.jpg

Oh, you don't want THAT thing clogging up your collection! I'll gladly take it, and even pick up shipping! PM me if you need my address! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifinsane.gif

Edited by Shield

Timely- do you have that Larson list in digital form? It would be a great favor for collectors if it's placed online. I'd be happy to host those files on my webpage if needed. Even if list exist only on paper it should be scanned.

btw how many Larson books there are?

I'm still digging through old issues of TBG from 1975. I hope to find the original sales list. I'll tell you what - I've looked through about 20 issues so far and the availability of old sweet Golden Age is astounding! I've seen maybe a dozen each of Superman #1, Batman #1 and Captain America #1. Also about 6 each of Action #1 and Detective #27. Near mint runs of Amazing Mystery Funnies. 2 Red Raven #1. How about Captain America #1-25 run, or another run of Cap 4-10 (VF/NM) - $850. Action #1-10 run from Bruce Hamilton. Green Lantern #12-19 (NM/MT) - $25 each. Pep #17 - $150. Millie the Model #1 (mint) $5. Hot Stuff #1 (NM) - $3 893blahblah.gif

That's just the tip of the iceburg. Fortunately, I bought more GA comics in 1975 than any other year spending practically every penny I could scrape up. cool.gif

That's just the tip of the iceburg. Fortunately, I bought more GA comics in 1975 than any other year spending practically every penny I could scrape up. cool.gif

Your a lucky man, I was still riding around on my tricycle in 1975 foreheadslap.gif

Buying GA now is certainly a costly endevor $$$$$$$$ gossip.gif

Your a lucky man, I was still riding around on my tricycle in 1975 foreheadslap.gif

Buying GA now is certainly a costly endevor $$$$$$$$ gossip.gif

Yet rewarding!

Timely

shiverbones: If I remember right, you like pre-code horror, correct? You would CRY at the prices those books were going for in 1975 - Basically, $2.00 each (not EC, of course. Those averaged $15-$20 for NM). crazy.gif

Oh Ghoul-aid, i KNOW!!!! I look in old overstreets and see things like black cat mystery #50 NOT EVEN BROKEN OUT listing at $3.20. AAAHHHHHH!!! Wolverton was always pricier & EC, but otherwise, it does indeed make me want to cry!

i am going to sulk now

You guys gave me a great idea! I'm going to hit the hay early tonight, and read a couple Weird Science EC reprints before I fall asleep.

I loves my EC's! Thank goodness they were all reprinted!

You guys gave me a great idea! I'm going to hit the hay early tonight, and read a couple Weird Science EC reprints before I fall asleep.

Well I gotta say that sounds pretty good! I think I will pull out a couple of my pre-codes and have a nice read tonight! thumbsup2.gif

Gorgeous. My copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies #1 is more like a G/VG, but I love it all the same.

I've got a small trove of Centaurs, including Amazing-Man 5, a full run of Detective Picture Stories, a full run of Comics Magazine, and a lot more cool books. I now have 17 of the 24 issues in the Keen Detective Funnies run as well, including 3 of the Church copies. When I get my scanner up and running again, I'll start putting them up. In general, though, my books won't be near the grade quality of the ones you're putting up. I'm lucky to find them at all, much less in high grade.

Based upon your Centaur collecting experience, which series do think is the rarest of the Centaur runs? In addition, off the top of your head, what do you consider to be some of the rarest individual Centaur books?

Looking forward to your input!

Here is a book that I purchased from rarehighgrade recently. A nice copy of

MM Mag V5#12 had been my holy grail for years but I never though I'd find one.

I guess you probably have to be a serious Disney collector to fully appreciate

just how special this book is. To put it in context, I lost the only two other

decent copies I've seen in the last 5 years to Steve Geppi. One was an FN+

(from Gary Colabuono's collection) in 2001 and the other a VF- (where I had

to give up at $7,200, which had haunted me ever since). Aside from having an

incredible collection, RHG is also an amazingly nice and considerate person -

I had the pleasure to meet him when I flew out to pick up the book last month.

mv512_sd.jpg

Gorgeous. My copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies #1 is more like a G/VG, but I love it all the same.

I've got a small trove of Centaurs, including Amazing-Man 5, a full run of Detective Picture Stories, a full run of Comics Magazine, and a lot more cool books. I now have 17 of the 24 issues in the Keen Detective Funnies run as well, including 3 of the Church copies. When I get my scanner up and running again, I'll start putting them up. In general, though, my books won't be near the grade quality of the ones you're putting up. I'm lucky to find them at all, much less in high grade.

Based upon your Centaur collecting experience, which series do think is the rarest of the Centaur runs? In addition, off the top of your head, what do you consider to be some of the rarest individual Centaur books?

Looking forward to your input!

I've been collecting Centaurs for >10 years, mostly superhero/sci-fi. Funny Pages 40 & 41 are impossible in any grade.