• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,415 posts in this topic

I had a piece of great luck this past Sunday. I went to a LCS that I hadn't been to in quite a while, and they were having their annual fall sale, with 35% off all back issues. I decided to take advantage of it and get a few things I would NEVER have gotten if not for the sale.

Once the owner saw some of the issues I'd picked out, he decided to give me 40% off instead of 35%. So I basically got these for 40% below guide. Even though I don't normally collect these titles, I was VERY happy with my purchase.

Here's the first one (Wonder Woman #41):

635092-WonderWoman41.jpg

Very cool batch of books! The WW and 'TEC are nice pick ups, as they are slightly more uncommon than some other DC's of the period. Congratulations!

Very cool batch of books! The WW and 'TEC are nice pick ups, as they are slightly more uncommon than some other DC's of the period. Congratulations!

Thanks! smile.gif I still can't believe I own them. I wish they'd give me 40% off every time I go there - I'd be willing to spend a lot more money if I got that great of a deal every time! smile.gif I've thought about asking, based on how much I'd love to spend. You never know 'til you ask, right?

I also got a lower-grade copy of Detective Comics #259, but it's technically not in the GA, so I didn't post a scan of that here. There's not a "Have a Cigar!" topic for the SA, so there's nowhere to post it. frown.gif

I also got a lower-grade copy of Detective Comics #259, but it's technically not in the GA, so I didn't post a scan of that here. There's not a "Have a Cigar!" topic for the SA, so there's nowhere to post it.

Create your own! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

West

The cover on that Fantastic just screams raw, untamed late Platinum/early Gold! Just read Jon Berk's great article on Fox's "colorful" approach to publishing comic books.

Here are the latest arrivals to my MM Mag. file copy collection. These two issues have something unique in common (left as an exercise). I actually have another, prettier file copy of the first, but that's not a new arrival and is thus disqualified from this thread (Bonds would not be amused).

CE-M4_6_m.jpg

CE-M4_7_m.jpg

> How big is your MMM collection?

Here are the upgrades I've been through in the last two years (about 50 new ones since last time I posted the list). I've been offered a lot of nice copies since I started posting here. It's a mixed blessing since I now have a really nice high grade run, but I am also looking forward to buying other books again. I want to start a collection of early DCs when the supply of 1930s Disneys dries up.

Yes, I think the pre-hero evolution of titles like Adventure and New/More Fun

is extremely interesting, but I also like the early Detectives and Actions without Superman covers.

Below is a nice MOC that a friend just mailed me. I work with several large

Disney collectors and we frequently trade/sell/buy nice books that never make it

to the open market. I am always very interested in hearing from collectors of top

notch early WDC&S, Barks Four Colors, giveaways, and other valuable GA Disney

comics.

moc4.jpg

Recent Ebay win. I have never seen one of these midget comics and thought it looked it cool. Paid for it for less than guide, so I am happy with it. This is the oldest certified book I own.

637211-8e_3.jpg

lok...I have several of those Mighty Midget books that I purchased a few years ago...just because I've never owned one...I must say they are pretty cool...

I also find that they go for way under guide on eBay...seems like there is not that much appreciation for them out there...but apparently you and I like 'em...

Here is my favorite one...

bulletman11.jpg

Here is another interesting item that is about twice as big as a Mighty Midget...

jackofspades.jpg

rarehighgrade:

I am helping a friend submit the MOC 4 to CGC so unfortunately it wouldn't be right for me to share my own grade. Suffice to say that it is a _very_ nice copy of this book and I find it considerably more attractive than the one CGC graded 7.0 (which looked a bit high to me).

pedigreeman:

Nice Salida! I vaguely remember you mentioning some Salida WDC&S a long time ago that you were waiting for at the time? What is it that's so nice about this collection?

The book below falls outside the Golden Age, but it is such an interesting oddball item and there'd be nowhere else to post it. It is highly prized among Barks collectors (guides at $600 in NM) since it is one of the very few children's books that he worked on. Barks' original pencils can be found at the link below. This book is very fragile and I've never come across a copy in anywhere near this shape.

Lemonade King artwork (long page, scroll to the middle)

lk.jpg

I don't have this in my possession yet, but I just sent my bucks in for this one. I dunno about CGG, but the price was right, and I'm paying for the book, not the grading service label:

637898-DETECTIVE68CGG4.5VGcrow.jpg

637898-DETECTIVE68CGG4.5VGcrow.jpg.7aab2bf048e09ab46a522f06812c3729.jpg