• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

This one just arrived today. A book I've wanted

since I first heard about it(circa 1978). Now if only an

affordable copy of BLOOD IS THE HARVEST would turn up.

666611-ifthedevilwouldtalk.jpg

Great book. I believe that is the 1958 version.

I have attached my 1950 version.

With circa only 80 copies in existence,

I am surprised the price is so low for this book.

I guess it all comes down to demand.

From my optic, your copy is museum quality material

worthy of any collection. Definitely a keeper. Congratulation.

thumbsup2.gif

IfTheDevilWouldTalk1950version.jpg

I think AMERICA MENACED may be rarer than both of them.

The attention on BLOOD & DEVIL caused a few to surface in the marketplace,

but AMERICA MENACED just seems to be almost non-existent.

This is one of those books that almost never come up for sale.

The Overstreet price guide had America Menaced at the circa $200 level for years.

I doubt if anyone will sell this issue for circa $200.

I actually believe America Menaced is rarer than Blood is the Harvest,

which has 13 known copies.

Did one of you guys pick up that high grade AMERICA MENACED that was on Ebay in the last year? IIRC correctly I think it was listed twice failing to get a bid the first time ( I believe it was listed for around $900 ) It seemed like a fair price for a HG copy of such a rare book, but I had already spent too much money, and rarely spend more than $400 -$500 on a single book (which is why most of my GA is around VG ). I'm sure I will regret not bidding in the long run.

Did one of you guys pick up that high grade AMERICA MENACED that was on Ebay in the last year?

IIRC correctly I think it was listed twice failing to get a bid the first time ( I believe it was listed for around $900 )

It seemed like a fair price for a HG copy of such a rare book, but I had already spent too much money,

and rarely spend more than $400 -$500 on a single book (which is why most of my GA is around VG ).

I'm sure I will regret not bidding in the long run.

I wanted that book but I procrastinated since I already own the CGC 7.0 ® copy.

shrunkenhead purchased the copy you reference so that accounts for the two CGC entries.

Here is the first of a couple of Speeds I picked up recently, #32 - This scan is for nearmint, who was curious about Harvey Schomburg covers. Although the cover characters are as obscure as Nedor's, Schomburg's covers for Harvey remind me more of Timelys, being generally quite busy. Harvey also made an attempt to tie the covers into the interior by having the two page text piece inside based on the cover action. Harvey seemed to use a slightly paler yellow and pinker flesh tones in coloring the covers than either Nedor or Timely.

675236-speed32.jpg

675236-speed32.jpg.de84d1d7ce53a9ed7c17dafd6d092cbf.jpg

This Speed #35 is an upgrade from an ultra-low grade copy. It arrived yesterday, a Christmas present to myself. Being the only Black Cat bondage cover by Schomburg it usually runs for a premium over guide. A few years ago it seemed all war-era and earlier Speed's were going for well over guide, and while some earlier issues are somewhat scarce, not all issues are. This was around the same time that Cheslers suddenly became hot. In both cases there are high demand books that will always fetch a premium, but today the bulk of Chesler's output can probably be picked up for around 1/2 guide.

675239-speed35.jpg

675239-speed35.jpg.fcc2d41cd840732790ecf28b68778045.jpg

This Speed #35 is an upgrade from an ultra-low grade copy. It arrived yesterday, a Christmas present to myself. Being the only Black Cat bondage cover by Schomburg it usually runs for a premium over guide. A few years ago it seemed all war-era and earlier Speed's were going for well over guide, and while some earlier issues are somewhat scarce, not all issues are. This was around the same time that Cheslers suddenly became hot. In both cases there are high demand books that will always fetch a premium, but today the bulk of Chesler's output can probably be picked up for around 1/2 guide.

675239-speed35.jpg

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

That's a keeper, for sure! thumbsup2.gif

Just purchased,over the holidays,Thanks to my Wife & Son !!!

It has some tape as you can see,but it's a nice solid copy of a scarce book!! Pages are supple & creamy also. I love collecting Centaurs,Amazing Man,seems to be the easiest to find though,& they aren't that plentiful either.

scan0001.jpg