• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,420 posts in this topic

Samuraii -- very cool. Just got done watching a Zatoichi movie (Japanese period film about a blind massuer master swordsman -- hard to explain why, but they are quite good. it was one part of a very popular film series (at least in Japan) spanning more than 2 decades.

This is sort of off the beaten path GA.....different cover art approach

720675-1scanreddra8.jpg

What an amazing book! It's so rare to see a WWII-era GA book that does not depict Japanese people as some sort of caricature.

I can't compete with Jon B. given the unbelievable books he has in his collection hail.gif. Of course, the old man does have a 20 year lead on me. poke2.gif

Nevertheless, I'll do my best to show off some great books. Although I mentioned this acquisition in another post, this book arrived today and I can't resist showing it off! yay.gif

725974-Mad-1.jpg

Wow any book that's 50+ years old from that era and its still a 9.8, all I can say is hail.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

What's really scary is that there are 2 other copies that are graded 9.8!!!!! And 2 copies at 9.6!!! 893whatthe.gif

Even worse, my copy was ranked 4/12 which means either one copy has not yet been graded or it was graded lower for some reason.

Wow any book that's 50+ years old from that era and its still a 9.8, all I can say is hail.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

What's really scary is that there are 2 other copies that are graded 9.8!!!!! And 2 copies at 9.6!!! 893whatthe.gif

Even worse, my copy was ranked 4/12 which means either one copy has not yet been graded or it was graded lower for some reason.

Only ranked #4 -- what are you doing -- slumming! poke2.gif

That is one seriously fine looking book. Congratulations!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I wouldn't worry about that since that was determined over ten years ago. Plus, the way they were ranked would not necessarily be the way CGC ranked them.

Think of it this way. Even the 1/12 could have some very minor damage done to it over the past decaded and easily keep it out of the 9.8-10.0 range.

That said, remember that that CGC does it's best to grade a book, but it's not a scientific truth that a 9.8 is better than a 9.6.

I wouldn't worry about that since that was determined over ten years ago. Plus, the way they were ranked would not necessarily be the way CGC ranked them.

Think of it this way. Even the 1/12 could have some very minor damage done to it over the past decaded and easily keep it out of the 9.8-10.0 range.

That said, remember that that CGC does it's best to grade a book, but it's not a scientific truth that a 9.8 is better than a 9.6.

Overstreet had to grade/rank 3500 books in a couple days (cue sympathetic violin music). He didn't have time to do that detailed of an analysis and couldn't even always stop to look at the back cover (i asked him about this). i think anyone would go numb at some point while trying to judge so many nearly perfect books.

Edited by adamstrange

I love the Joe Kubert Sargon the Sorcerer Story in this one.

735345-Sensation57.jpg

735345-Sensation57.jpg.ab38d0591b48dc4e9b2144fb0ffc9457.jpg

Edited by adamstrange