• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,418 posts in this topic

if you don't mind my asking, knowing how extensive your collection is, are there books you are still looking for and acquiring or are you satisfied with your collection as is? Are there some collecting goals you had starting out or decided upon in the meantime that you have still to accomplish (after all those years)?

I am asking you because I know once I am done with my March '52 project, there are quite a few other goals that are solidifying in my mind that I hope I can then embark on and I'd like the insights of a "veteran". And I am also asking these questions to others here such as Adam, Fuelman, RHG, 123ksk, tth2, HarveyDude, ... or anyone else. Should we put a limit? such as: only answer this question if you have been collecting for over X years: let's say 20 years. We can relax that if only few of us have been at it this long.

Scrooge, I'm flattered that you put me in such rarified company! thumbsup2.gif

Like Adam, I'm just about on 20 years of collecting (well, "serious" collecting, I've been buying comics and consciously trying to preserve them for 30 years or so), so I'll assume I'm qualified to respond. Due to the artificial constraints I've placed on my collecting (i.e., only seeking ultra-HG copies and focusing on pre-1964 DC SA, Ducks and Turoks):

1. my collection is not very extensive,

2. I'm still looking for lots of books,

3. I'm unsatisfied with the current state of my collection, and

4. therefore, my collecting goals still have not been accomplished

In a sense, this is all intentional, because I purposely limited myself to picking up only ultra-HG copies in order to present a real challenge and preserve the thrill of the hunt. I don't collect oddball genres like westerns, romance and humor, or smaller publishers, which generally seem to be the categories of comics that are difficult to find in any grade. The titles I collect are relatively mainstream, and therefore pretty much can be found in middle and lower grades without too much difficulty. Therefore, placing this limitation based on grade keeps it fun and challenging, although sometimes I get stressed about the lack of progress and whether I'm chasing after mirages (i.e., whether some of these books even exist in ultra-HG). Also, it's bloody expensive!

Having said this, I am a completist by nature, and I imagine there will come a point someday where I accept that a true NM copy of a book simply might not exist, in which case I'll fill in that hole with the best copy I can find, with hopes of upgrading later. So I don't think I'm going to need any new collecting goals for a while yet. tongue.gif

If jumping forward in 10-year increments doesn't do it for you, then I agree with Adam's suggestion that jumping forward (or backward) in 1-year increments would definitely be a worthy new goal, because the breadth of your goal encompasses many of those impossible-to-find-in-any-grade types of books.

Also, just had a CGC submission make it to the gallery for the first time: "Kite Fun Book" (CGC 9.6 - yay!).

893whatthe.gif Congratulations, and on the WDC&S too! Hopefully we can see these in the Ducks thread too? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Jon,

while I can't help you with the Pep 30, I can thank you for the reply.

You might not want to hear this but since you mentioned the Mooney art on the Ace books, do you have a few more you could show us? I think you might have posted one before but I am certainly not very familiar with which books you are talking about. And if you are taking requests, how about a few Tarzan cover early Tip Tops (13, 16, 32, 34, ...)?

I'm happy to hear the hobby still has you chasing after some copies. Good luck looking.

Jon,

while I can't help you with the Pep 30, I can thank you for the reply.

You might not want to hear this but since you mentioned the Mooney art on the Ace books, do you have a few more you could show us? I think you might have posted one before but I am certainly not very familiar with which books you are talking about. And if you are taking requests, how about a few Tarzan cover early Tip Tops (13, 16, 32, 34, ...)?

I'm happy to hear the hobby still has you chasing after some copies. Good luck looking.

I put four up in the TOGS thread....I will post more as I have time.....

Unrestored file copy; latest addition to my WDC&S set.

wdcs31_fc_900.jpg

Also, just had a CGC submission make it to the gallery for the first time: "Kite Fun Book" (CGC 9.6 - yay!).

Really sweet copy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The Superman 3 is awfully, awfully bright. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I just picked up some beautiful early Batman issues. Here are the two best of the lot.

This is the second highest graded copy

789479-Batman32.jpg

This one is tied with one other as the top certified copy

789480-Batman39.jpg

I also picked up:

Batman #14 CGC 7.0 (white pages)

Batman #17 CGC 8.0 (off-white to white pages)

Detective #140 CGC 3.5 (off-white pages)(1st Riddler)

Mark just curious, for your personal collection or for resale on your site? Very nice books.

All for resale. E-mail or call if interested. Always happy to work special deals for forumites, particularly from the GA section!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I only posted a price for the Det 140. The others have that annoying "inquire"! 893censored-thumb.gif

Images should be up on the site shortly. However, I have them on my computer and can e-mail them. My web guys haven't shown me how to directly upload yet. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just picked up some beautiful early Batman issues. Here are the two best of the lot.

This is the second highest graded copy

789479-Batman32.jpg

This one is tied with one other as the top certified copy

789480-Batman39.jpg

I also picked up:

Batman #14 CGC 7.0 (white pages)

Batman #17 CGC 8.0 (off-white to white pages)

Detective #140 CGC 3.5 (off-white pages)(1st Riddler)

Absolutely gorgeous! hail.gif

Just got this low grade book from Jim Payette for a very fair price. Not as pretty as the books in the post above, but still fun to read and own.

793017-batman57.jpg

Congrats on the Wings. The cover to #3 is very cool and #1 is always a good pick-up thumbsup2.gif

I just got this to narrow my list of hero cover Peps I need to 4 smile.gif

795119-pep37.jpg

795119-pep37.jpg.5efb8fc0ab8c999a2a8c1d30c249a427.jpg

Edited by 143ksk