• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

are there books you are still looking for and acquiring or are you satisfied with your collection as is? Are there some collecting goals you had starting out or decided upon in the meantime that you have still to accomplish (after all those years)?... Should we put a limit? such as: only answer this question if you have been collecting for over X years: let's say 20 years. We can relax that if only few of us have been at it this long.

Thanks for any answer you can provide.

Scrooge,

You ask an interesting question. When I first started collecting circa 1981, I purchased about everything that appealed to me. When I married, I realized that my financial resources were limited so I decided to focus on some Harvey runs (Baby Huey Duckland, Tuff Ghosts, Sad Sack, Tracy, Dagwood, Blondie and some Richie Rich titles). I also decided to focus on an underappreciated area being anti-Communist comics. I have been actively searching for these books for over twenty years and I do not think I will ever complete the collection. The chase to find an aesthetically pleasing book, at a good value, is more important than trying to reach closure on my pursuits. If I did finish this genre, I would gravitate toward related issues such as Atomic Bomb themed comics or I would complete other Harvey titles.

Here is today's purchase towards my main interest. I know that 1956 may fall into silver age but I don’t lurk into that thread too often.

DickTracy100CGC8.jpg

That book is sick. 893applaud-thumb.gif Do you make it a practice of getting the slabbs updated or do you just leave them? The new labels look so much better.

Silver, I just leave them based on the philosphy that it is better to leave good things alone rather than tamper with them! The last thing I need is for someone to inadvertently damage the book in the process of changing the holder. Just not worth the risk.

Most importantly, I view the book as beautiful, not the CGC label. headbang.gif

AWWW!!!! Man, What a freakin Classic!!! Congrats!!! hail.gifcloud9.gif Disturbing , that People did such Horrid things ! We should never forget & hopefully learn, "mankind" from it, that something like this ever happens again!! Ever!!!!

Edited by PUNYHUMAN

My most recent More Fun acquisition in my quest towards completing the run.

#76 CGC 9.6 Edgar Church (Mile High) copy

825679-MoreFun76.jpg

Sweet! thumbsup2.gif

I just got this one. It's already posted on the General forum, but I'll show it off here, too. Plod or not, I love this book.

826562-detective128.jpg

AWWW!!!! Man, What a freakin Classic!!! Congrats!!! hail.gifcloud9.gif Disturbing , that People did such Horrid things ! We should never forget & hopefully learn, "mankind" from it, that something like this ever happens again!! Ever!!!!

It is a disturbing cover, and notably "timely" as this month is the 60th anniversary of the Russian liberation of Auschwitz. Period covers appeal to me as a reflection of different times - WWII covers, cold war covers, covers showing vintage automobiles and fashion, etc.,. thumbsup2.gif