• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

Thanks Rare High Grade... I'll definately be posting more books, although my collection isn't huge, and everything will be a let down after KDF #20!! I splurged on that one.

My collection is slowly growing, and I am focusing on classic covers (in my opinion) from Timely, Fox and Centaur. For now. Also, Everett covers from 1938 to 1942 are top of the list!

One last thing: I have to ask how you got the scan to post within the messge area, as I could only get it to show up as an attachment. The help is appreciated.

Glad to be on board!

One last thing: I have to ask how you got the scan to post within the messge area, as I could only get it to show up as an attachment. The help is appreciated.

All you have to do is open the attachment, copy the URL for the attachment, hit the back button to return to your post, hit edit, click on "image" in the "Instant UBB Code" area, and then paste the URL into the prompt box that magically appears. Be sure you don't end up with "http" twice in the URL--that used to screw me up when I was just starting out.

BTW, welcome to the boards thumbsup2.gif

All you have to do is open the attachment, copy the URL for the attachment, hit the back button to return to your post, hit edit, click on "image" in the "Instant UBB Code" area, and then paste the URL into the prompt box that magically appears. Be sure you don't end up with "http" twice in the URL--that used to screw me up when I was just starting out.

Thanks alot for the info!!

Nice MLJ's you can't go wrong with a single digit Jackpot.

Here's my latest additions. I am told this Whiz 100 came from Geppi in the late 70's and was part of a "find". If its a pedigree and there's no way to substantiate, what else can you do.

whiz100.jpg

That's a beautiful copy of Whiz 100. That and Captain Marvel 100 are tough books to find. Impressive.

Thanks alot for the info!!

hi.gif Welcome to the boards!

That's a great book to start out with for your first post! 893whatthe.gif

Another way to do posting of books is via Photobucket. You can find the instructions here:

Posting with Photobucket

1223943-KDF20lores.jpg

That's a gorgeous Church copy of Keen Detective Funnies, Ryan. Feel free to post any of your other GA books.

Wow! Very nice book, RyanH!!! I'm seriously jealous. hail.gif

Welcome to the boards, Ryan! Great Centaur, & I'd love to see some of your Fox & Timely books too. Post away! thumbsup2.gif

As I mentioned before, my collection is limited (as is the budget), but I am trying to focus on some of my favorite covers and artists. I'm a commercial artist myself, and do personal art shows on the side, and end up getting alot of inspiration from golden age comic art. The Gerber photo-journals really turned me on to a whole new field of choices when they came out .

This FOX cover for SCIENCE #3 is bizarrely beautiful. Says Lou Fine is responsible in most sources I've read , but i don't know...

I've got a few books on the way, so i'll try to get more "recent" stuff up at some point. 1224771-scicomics_3.jpg

1224771-scicomics_3.jpg.95549e416c1dc87e042362ebd1ebaacd.jpg

Edited by RyanH

Ryan, welcome to the boards! I love your books that you just posted . Centaurs & Fox comics are two of my personal faves. That Keen Detective "Church copy" is Awesome. hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

1224771-scicomics_3.jpg

Beautiful book, Ryan! I have a reader/beater copy of #3, but that is one sharp copy you have there.

And hey, that guy in red looks strangely familiar to me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

1224771-scicomics_3.jpg

Beautiful book, Ryan! I have a reader/beater copy of #3, but that is one sharp copy you have there.

And hey, that guy in red looks strangely familiar to me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Love Science Comics thumbsup2.gif

Very nice copy of Science 3, but it is definitely not all Lou Fine, which you see when comparing it to Science 1 & 2. There's been some over-attribution to Lou Fine over the years, and not all of it has been corrected. The Science 3 is probably Tuska and the alien creatures are based on a Frank R. Paul painting that was used as the back cover art to a sci-fi pulp (the title escapes me at the moment).

Very nice copy of Science 3, but it is definitely not all Lou Fine, which you see when comparing it to Science 1 & 2. There's been some over-attribution to Lou Fine over the years, and not all of it has been corrected. The Science 3 is probably Tuska and the alien creatures are based on a Frank R. Paul painting that was used as the back cover art to a sci-fi pulp (the title escapes me at the moment).

It was probably an AMAZING STORIES back cover... Paul used the elephant-ear aliens in a few covers /back covers i believe (or variations). Would love to start a PAUL post at some point, although his work in comics was limited... but his pulp covers from 1926 to 1940's are incredible. (a bit off topic, but did anyone see the Robert Lesser pulp art collection at the Brooklyn Art Gallery a few years back? It was mind-blowing).

Lou Fine or not, it still makes for a great cover. The interior is alot of fun too.

It was probably an AMAZING STORIES back cover... Paul used the elephant-ear aliens in a few covers /back covers i believe (or variations). Would love to start a PAUL post at some point, although his work in comics was limited... but his pulp covers from 1926 to 1940's are incredible. (a bit off topic, but did anyone see the Robert Lesser pulp art collection at the Brooklyn Art Gallery a few years back? It was mind-blowing).

Lou Fine or not, it still makes for a great cover. The interior is alot of fun too.

Paul may have used that design more than once, but where I saw it was on a bedsheet sized sci-fi pulp and Amazing Stories is ringing a bell. I have the Lesser book, Pulp Art, and so I'm sure the exhibition must have been something special.

I just noticed the red dot on the right side of the H. Now, I am freaked. If that is color touch, I am hunting rabbit!!! frustrated.gif

Technically speaking, it's hunting "wabbit" tongue.gif

I wouldn't worry about a possible color touch. It looks like an extra splotch on ink from when it was printed. Comics, as much we love them, were printed darn cheaply and you'll see a number of anomolies like this.