• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

My purchases from today's Sacramento Comic Convention. I quadrupled my Jungle Comics collection from one to four!

jungle153fine.jpg

jungle102vgf.jpg

jungle66fine.jpg

The convention was a bit weak, comic-wise. I almost purchased a very nice late issue Planet, but decided against it in favor of some jungle action. I also got two very nice Brave and Bolds - 62 and 73, both in at least VF condition. (And both for very nice prices.)

I met Jon Whitman today at my local con. He is the son of Maurice Whitman, who did many of the Fiction House covers in the 40's, along with Jumbo's, Jungle's and a host of other titles. He told some fantastic stories about his dad and other artists of his father's era.

Just won this Fantastic Comics #11 on ebay! ...

Nice book!! 893applaud-thumb.gif It is a fun run to collect , I just purchased a Fantastic # 3 about 2 weeks ago , still need a # 2 & # 7 to complete my run from #1 to # 8. I've been collecting this run for some years also. The Stardust & Space Smith art reminds me a little of Wolverton "bizzare". I also love the Kiefer art, underappreciated!!. again Congrats!! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the kind words! Sounds like we're totally on the same page with this title, as the Stardust & Space Smith features are the main reasons I collect it, and I much agree about the Wolverton similarity. But if you have #1, 3-6 & 8, you're WAY ahead of me...congrats right back at you! hail.gif

He told some fantastic stories about his dad and other artists of his father's era.

Please share. So little can generally be found about Maurice Whitman popcorn.gif

I've never seen anything done on him and I've read lots of material.

Can we hook him up with Roy Thomas or Jim Amash -- I would think they'd be interested.

Nice book 143ksk! here are a couple of recent pick ups. The Oscar 24 was a tough find for me.

oscar24.jpg

jug.jpg

Congrats on the Oscar and the Jughead's Folly. That's a pretty decent copy of JF--a hard book to find above VG. Let me know if you're looking for any other Archies, I can probably help smile.gif