• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

I just love to smell and hold Mile Highs!!

headbang.gif

I am slowly accumulating comics from "The Golden Age of Comics", by Richard O'Brien (1977). Does anyone else own this book?

Yep, I have a copy of that book and love it. Nice little sub-collection idea you had there to accumulate the books from it. Cool.

I'm no Bob Beerbelly to be sure, but I have just about every reference book about comic BOOKS there is. (thinly veiled shot referencing the debate about what is and what isn't a comic)

As if you needed more proof that I am a total comic geek.

Sorry Bob, just couldn't resist. Consider it a pet name or term of endearment....

blush.gifgrin.gifpoke2.gif

I am slowly accumulating comics from "The Golden Age of Comics", by Richard O'Brien (1977). Does anyone else own this book?

Yep, I have a copy of that book and love it. Nice little sub-collection idea you had there to accumulate the books from it. Cool.

It wasn't really intentional... I have owned that book since my mom gave it to me for Christmas when I was about ten years old (cool mom). Lately, I've had it off the bookshelf all the time, and its kind of worked its way into my subconsciousness. I have a PLANET #1 on the way, and as I mentioned, a SILVER STREAK #6 on time payments... both from that book. Highly recommended reference book if you don't have it ("The Golden Age of Comic Books" by Richard O'Brien)!

(Needless to say I've blown my comics budget for the year!)

And congrats, Ciorac, for freeing that poor Church book from its confines!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It wasn't really intentional... I have owned that book since my mom gave it to me for Christmas when I was about ten years old (cool mom). Lately, I've had it off the bookshelf all the time, and its kind of worked its way into my subconsciousness. I have a PLANET #1 on the way, and as I mentioned, a SILVER STREAK #6 on time payments... both from that book. Highly recommended reference book if you don't have it ("The Golden Age of Comic Books" by Richard O'Brien)!

(Needless to say I've blown my comics budget for the year!)

And congrats, Ciorac, for freeing that poor Church book from its confines!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Ryan! Mile Highs did fine on their own in a basement for three decades, mine should do nicely out of his prison.

27_laughing.gif

My Mom was like yours. She supported my love of the hobby and used to take me to the comic store in Phoenix back in the early 70's. I bought so much stuff my brother and I started doing mail order, which fueled us with more money to buy more books...the rest is history.

smile.gif

Thanks Ryan! Mile Highs did fine on their own in a basement for three decades, mine should do nicely out of his prison.

27_laughing.gif

My Mom was like yours. She supported my love of the hobby and used to take me to the comic store in Phoenix back in the early 70's. I bought so much stuff my brother and I started doing mail order, which fueled us with more money to buy more books...the rest is history.

smile.gif

I owe my mom a lot... she used to take myself and my brother to Doug Sulipa's Comic World, which at the time was a dingy shop filled with dust and cigarette smoke... and glass cases with GA comics and pre-hero Marvels!! Later on, at a different store, she bought me my first three Timely's (MMC #39, #49 and Subby #18), which were priced at 50% off!! Anyways, she was always very supportive of my hobby and art interests.

Sorry if this went off topic... some one should start a thread about memories of early comic store experiences, back when comics stores used to stock GA books , instead of Manga and gaming cards (no offence meant to Manga/gaming fans).

27_laughing.gif

smile.gif

I owe my mom a lot... she used to take myself and my brother to Doug Sulipa's Comic World, which at the time was a dingy shop filled with dust and cigarette smoke... and glass cases with GA comics and pre-hero Marvels!! Later on, at a different store, she bought me my first three Timely's (MMC #39, #49 and Subby #18), which were priced at 50% off!! Anyways, she was always very supportive of my hobby and art interests.

Sorry if this went off topic... some one should start a thread about memories of early comic store experiences, back when comics stores used to stock GA books , instead of Manga and gaming cards (no offence meant to Manga/gaming fans).

was that the downtown location kinda in the basement crowded and dark? if so then cloud9.gif

I went to A-1 Comics yesterday to meet up with Neurosis138. Since I had some time, I figured I'd peruse the FIction House books for any new Jumbos or Fights. (Gotta have my jungle girls!)

Came home with this instead:

1370825-ghostcomics8vg.jpg

The scan doesn't do the colors justice. They're deep with a good bit of gloss left on the cover. It was one of those "If I don't buy it now I may never see it again purchases."

And Chris (Neurosis) is a nice guy. It's nice to have a fellow CGC-er in the area.

1370825-ghostcomics8vg.jpg.83549a11000e68456b8f7fd1b5f2dec2.jpg

Edited by seank

I went to A-1 Comics yesterday to meet up with Neurosis138. Since I had some time, I figured I'd peruse the FIction House books for any new Jumbos or Fights. (Gotta have my jungle girls!)

Came home with this instead:

1370825-ghostcomics8vg.jpg

The scan doesn't do the colors justice. They're deep with a good bit of gloss left on the cover. It was one of those "If I don't buy it now I may never see it again purchases."

And Chris (Neurosis) is a nice guy. It's nice to have a fellow CGC-er in the area.

Cool book! Love the cover 893applaud-thumb.gif

Guess what book this is from... 62952ac1.jpg

I don't know, but I got a laugh out of it. Some the wartime funny animal stories are 27_laughing.gif