• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,437 posts in this topic

A wonderful package arrived today! Carefully wrapped inside was this lovely unrestored member of my want list. Woohoo!!

With my compliments to a board member for filling this whole in my collection.

aa210001.jpg

That is so nice, what a Beauty!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Love that book....

Only three graded copies out there of this one. Top Census is an 8.0 with the second best at 6.5 and then a Lowly 3.0.

I've been meaning to get a better scan of this book, so here's the front and back of Ghostly Weird 124.... 1381182-ComicBook1813.JPG1381182-ComicBook1814.JPG

1381182-ComicBook1814.JPG.29e5b51aff6d618d0f32ea578ae72293.JPG

Wow.... that is an awesome Ghostly Weird. As I've mentioned before in the LB Cole thread, Star books are very tough above 7.0.

I would say that it's at least a solid 8.0 (which permits minute wear at corners) based on the scan you have here. And in my opinion, the solid edges of this book (which Star books do not usually have) really make it shine. I thought I had a few nice Star books, but nothing that nice!

Since romance comics are my thing, I wanted to correct october's statement. There is no question as to which is the first romance comic - it is Young Romance 1, published in September 1947. If a case could be made for a predecessor, it would not be the comic you bought, but instead be the 4 issue run of My Date that Simon & Kirby published right before starting the enormously popular genre with Young Romance. The definitive compilation of romance books was unofficially published in 1998 by Dan Stevenson , greatly helped by Michelle Nolan, Bob Overstreet, and about 30 other industry sources. Romantic Picture Novelettes, among other quasi romance books, is deliberately not included in the listing "as they are not felt to be true Romance Comics:" I'm sure you can figure out why. As far as being hard to find, you could have picked up a 7.0 slabbed Lost Valley pedigreed copy from Heritage this past June for only $107 including the buyer's bump.

Nice book...love those freaky "sharks eyes".... thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif gorilla eyes