• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,421 posts in this topic

Wow, now I want to start collecting G-8! I have always thought the cover art on those pulps was very strong.

Well, the FedEx man was kind to me today... after a few months of time payments, I got my SILVER STREAK #6. A lower grade copy, but solid, with nice paper. And the art inside is fantastic... really top notch stories (two by Cole I believe), esp. the PLANET PATROL strip, which features giant star-fish/octopus men!! And the cover speaks for itself... I would have just bought the cover.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

1490156-SS%236POST.jpg

Ryan , what a great book to own !! Congrats !! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks real nice. Now I'm going to have to get me one in the future. grin.gif

Wow, now I want to start collecting G-8! I have always thought the cover art on those pulps was very strong.

Well, the FedEx man was kind to me today... after a few months of time payments, I got my SILVER STREAK #6. A lower grade copy, but solid, with nice paper. And the art inside is fantastic... really top notch stories (two by Cole I believe), esp. the PLANET PATROL strip, which features giant star-fish/octopus men!! And the cover speaks for itself... I would have just bought the cover.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

1490156-SS%236POST.jpg

Ryan , what a great book to own !! Congrats !! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks real nice. Now I'm going to have to get me one in the future. grin.gif

I too have become a big fan of this cover. The ever growing want list. tonofbricks.gif

I haven't purchased anything from Heritage lately but I'm really pleased to have just won the following book...kinda tough to find in high grade...and it's a Crippen pedigree to boot with nice page color... yay.gif

822007149o.jpg

I haven't purchased anything from Heritage lately but I'm really pleased to have just won the following book...kinda tough to find in high grade...and it's a Crippen pedigree to boot with nice page color... yay.gif

822007149o.jpg

Very cool book, and a good movie too!

You guys are killing me with these great books!

I just got back from the Big Apple show. Overall, I didn't see a huge amount of stuff that I'm looking for, but I always go in with a very narrow range of books that I'm looking for. This has been a very light year for me in comic book collecting, and I thought it was time I treated myself. I found a couple of nice ones today.

The first:

1493943-img727.jpg

I have been looking for a copy of this book pretty much all year and have only been able to find a couple of lower grade copies (outside of the stellar Crippen copy in 9.0 which sold for $1300). I was content to find a beater of this book with a decent cover, but really lucked out today on this copy. It does have a flaw, however.... a one-inch by half-inch coupon cut out in the middle of the book. This is my kind of flaw, especially when it drops the price significantly as in this case. In 2003, Heritage sold a 7.0 for $373. I paid about half that price for this copy, and to my eyes, this book is about a 7.0 if not for the missing coupon. I'll take books like that all day long. Detective #168 with missing coupon, anyone? hi.gif

1493943-img727.jpg.6f3539b66288eed47741ce31911db3ea.jpg

Edited by paull

Here's book #2 from the Big Apple National show. Power Comics #3 with cover by L.B. Cole. I consider this cover to be one of L.B. Cole's top 5 or 10 covers along with Mask 1, 2, Captain Flight #11, Contact #12, Blue Bolt 111 and 113, and a few others. Thanks to Motor City Comics for this book. I've been wanting a copy of this book since the mid-90s when I saw the cover in the Nick Kronfeld and Dark Adventure auctions in CBG. I finally found a nice copy that was reasonably priced. This copy perfectly matches my Mask 1 and 2 and Contact Comics 12, since all of them are in about VG or VG+. This copy has some edge chipping on the right front cover (due to slight overhang) and a small piece out of the bottom back cover.

1493999-img728.jpg

1493999-img728.jpg.c2c987b615df52b063f80c0580a115b7.jpg

Edited by paull