• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,427 posts in this topic

You guys are killing me with these great books!

I just got back from the Big Apple show. Overall, I didn't see a huge amount of stuff that I'm looking for, but I always go in with a very narrow range of books that I'm looking for. This has been a very light year for me in comic book collecting, and I thought it was time I treated myself. I found a couple of nice ones today.

The first:

1493943-img727.jpg

I have been looking for a copy of this book pretty much all year and have only been able to find a couple of lower grade copies (outside of the stellar Crippen copy in 9.0 which sold for $1300). I was content to find a beater of this book with a decent cover, but really lucked out today on this copy. It does have a flaw, however.... a one-inch by half-inch coupon cut out in the middle of the book. This is my kind of flaw, especially when it drops the price significantly as in this case. In 2003, Heritage sold a 7.0 for $373. I paid about half that price for this copy, and to my eyes, this book is about a 7.0 if not for the missing coupon. I'll take books like that all day long. Detective #168 with missing coupon, anyone? hi.gif

Nice pickup! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nothing like getting the first horror book from a publisher!

Here's book #2 from the Big Apple National show. Power Comics #3 with cover by L.B. Cole. I consider this cover to be one of L.B. Cole's top 5 or 10 covers along with Mask 1, 2, Captain Flight #11, Contact #12, Blue Bolt 111 and 113, and a few others. Thanks to Motor City Comics for this book. I've been wanting a copy of this book since the mid-90s when I saw the cover in the Nick Kronfeld and Dark Adventure auctions in CBG. I finally found a nice copy that was reasonably priced. This copy perfectly matches my Mask 1 and 2 and Contact Comics 12, since all of them are in about VG or VG+. This copy has some edge chipping on the right front cover (due to slight overhang) and a small piece out of the bottom back cover.

1493999-img728.jpg

Classic cover! It was the first L.B. Cole cover I remember seeing.

Here's book #2 from the Big Apple National show. Power Comics #3 with cover by L.B. Cole. I consider this cover to be one of L.B. Cole's top 5 or 10 covers along with Mask 1, 2, Captain Flight #11, Contact #12, Blue Bolt 111 and 113, and a few others. Thanks to Motor City Comics for this book. I've been wanting a copy of this book since the mid-90s when I saw the cover in the Nick Kronfeld and Dark Adventure auctions in CBG. I finally found a nice copy that was reasonably priced. This copy perfectly matches my Mask 1 and 2 and Contact Comics 12, since all of them are in about VG or VG+. This copy has some edge chipping on the right front cover (due to slight overhang) and a small piece out of the bottom back cover.

1493999-img728.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif Very nice book!

You don't see one of these every day.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words about my two new books. Regarding the Power 3 cover, I wish that L.B. Cole had done more covers utilizing the inking style that he used for Mask 2 and Power 3. I love that swirly line work.

Anyone else get books at the Big Apple show? I didn't see a lot of GA buyers on Saturday. It seemed like a slow show to me for the big GA dealers.

Edited by paull

Read through this copy tonight. Very cool stories. The first one pits The Hangman against Captain Swastika!!!

And a cool cover to boot! 893applaud-thumb.gif