• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

Accidently posted these in the Timely thread!

Bill, I'd really like to collect those early Heroics but they are notorious for being brown/brittle on the inside. I know you're a "paper" guy like me, so how do the insides measure up on these copies?

STEVE

Bill, I'd really like to collect those early Heroics but they are notorious for being brown/brittle on the inside. I know you're a "paper" guy like me, so how do the insides measure up on these copies?

STEVE

The Mile High #11 is blinding white. The others are not white, but far from brown or brittle. Kind of a light tan, some are cream colored.

STEVE

The Mile High #11 is blinding white. The others are not white, but far from brown or brittle. Kind of a light tan, some are cream colored.

As I recall, the 4 and the 6 had pretty nice paper. In general, I've never noticed a paper quality issue on the Heroics. Did other Famous Funnies titles have paper issues?

STEVE

Hi Bill,

Those HERIOC's are incredible!!! Love the Everett covers... maybe not my favorite cover work from him in that period, but still, they are Everett covers!! Besides, they all contain Hydroman Everett stories, which are worth the price of admission. Gorgeous condition too.

The only HERIOC I own is a beater #6 I got for $45, which has an incredible "alligator wrestling" cover by Everett! Great interior art.

Are you aware of the painted Everett covers from that run (#62 to 64)? Does anyone own those? Would love to see a painted Everett cover (larger than the Gerber postage stamp size)!!

Nice work Bill! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow Surfer 893whatthe.gif

What an awesome book. 893applaud-thumb.gif Did you sell your undercopy?

Yup. My under copy had both a detached cover and centerfold. This book still has a detached centerfold but shows real well and has white pages. I don't think Metro sold this copy? Actually I was going to buy Metro's copy (which I think was raw) but the timing just wasn't right for me and then they threw it in an EBay auction with those other More Fun's they purchased/consigned.

STEVE

As I recall, the 4 and the 6 had pretty nice paper. In general, I've never noticed a paper quality issue on the Heroics. Did other Famous Funnies titles have paper issues?

There are file copies out there for Famous Funnies and they don't have the kind of blinding white pages that sacentaur is always showing us, darn him. wink.gif

STEVE

Well, the only other ones I have currently are the "Famous Funnies" themselves and all of my issues have beautiful paper.

STEVE

Hi Bill,

Those HERIOC's are incredible!!! Love the Everett covers... maybe not my favorite cover work from him in that period, but still, they are Everett covers!! Besides, they all contain Hydroman Everett stories, which are worth the price of admission. Gorgeous condition too.

The only HERIOC I own is a beater #6 I got for $45, which has an incredible "alligator wrestling" cover by Everett! Great interior art.

Are you aware of the painted Everett covers from that run (#62 to 64)? Does anyone own those? Would love to see a painted Everett cover (larger than the Gerber postage stamp size)!!

Nice work Bill! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Ryan. Here they all are (until I get the rest!)

mm0108.jpg

mm0110.jpg

mm0065-1.jpg

mm0062-1.jpg

mm0109.jpg

mm0107.jpg