• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,441 posts in this topic

Special thanks to both Durden and PointFive for helping me secure this book, which has been my Grail book since I started collecting GA 5 years ago!

ac39ta5.jpg

Congratulations Matt! That's a great-looking Action! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! This is the 2nd best copy I have seen since I started looking, apart from a VF copy that Metro had for sale for all of 1 minute. All other copies were either semi-beaters or restored. Definitely ranks up there with 44 and 48 as one of the toughest WW2 Actions to get.

I am feeling like this is my last GA Superman purchase... apart from the SECOND Superman grail book I'm waiting to arrive...! The market for them has just moved beyond my budget.

Thanks! This is the 2nd best copy I have seen since I started looking, apart from a VF copy that Metro had for sale for all of 1 minute. All other copies were either semi-beaters or restored. Definitely ranks up there with 44 and 48 as one of the toughest WW2 Actions to get.

I am feeling like this is my last GA Superman purchase... apart from the SECOND Superman grail book I'm waiting to arrive...! The market for them has just moved beyond my budget.

If you need to boost your budget, you could always sell me a 43, 59, or 63 poke2.gif

Special thanks to both Durden and PointFive for helping me secure this book, which has been my Grail book since I started collecting GA 5 years ago!

ac39ta5.jpg

Congratulations Matt! That's a great-looking Action! thumbsup2.gif

Fantastic "headlight" cover in the more sober meaning... tongue.gif

It's a Gerber 8, but I believe there was a warehouse find, so that designation is misleading. More like a Gerber 5. Sorry to burst your bubbles.
From the number of copies I've seen around a 5 or 6 might be accurate. I've owned 2. There are 12 in the census. I've seen another 2 for sale and I don't visit that many shows, maybe ten a year in a good year.

Of course if there was a warehouse find, well, all bets are off...Anyone know details...?

My recent win from Heritage just arrived...

mm9-fc.jpg

yay.gif Of course I kept it in the bag because the cover is off. Time fo a little convervation so I can read this book without harm.

Meanwhile, something that came with the lot:

pep7-fc.jpg

Anyone collect Pep that needs a 7 filler copy? PM me.

And on that topic...how do you value a Poor? OSPG stops at Good 2.0 but I've never found a good rule for 1.8, 1.5, 1.0 and 0.5 pricing. Anyone have a system?

My recent win from Heritage just arrived...

mm9-fc.jpg

yay.gif Of course I kept it in the bag because the cover is off. Time fo a little convervation so I can read this book without harm.

Meanwhile, something that came with the lot:

pep7-fc.jpg

Anyone collect Pep that needs a 7 filler copy? PM me.

And on that topic...how do you value a Poor? OSPG stops at Good 2.0 but I've never found a good rule for 1.8, 1.5, 1.0 and 0.5 pricing. Anyone have a system?

What most people do, and what I do are two completely different schools of thought. I of course am right! grin.gif

If you notice in the OPG the increments are pretty steady (GD doubled is VG, tripled is FN, etc) The in-between grades are the mid-points between the two grades. VG/FN is the price halfway between the two.

So, therefore 1.0 is half the GD price, 0.5 would be half that price. Many don't do that however, and it has always bugged me. Why change the mathe for just this one grade???

Use my model and you will be fine. cool.gif

So, therefore 1.0 is half the GD price, 0.5 would be half that price. Many don't do that however, and it has always bugged me. Why change the mathe for just this one grade???
Good enough for me. thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on your MYSTERY MEN 9 pick up!! Thats one more off the list!!

Nice colors on that cover for a low grade copy ... the reds are quite faded on my copy compared to yours!!

Congrats on your MYSTERY MEN 9 pick up!! Thats one more off the list!!

Nice colors on that cover for a low grade copy ... the reds are quite faded on my copy compared to yours!!

Thanks! I wish my cover was attached (but if I read things right that'll only cost me $75 to have done anyway). I wanna read that book without damaging it further.

Good enough for me. thumbsup2.gif

When your dealing with low low grade alot of it has to do with what exactly is wrong with the book. A scarce classic cover book with decent page quality, missing the back cover and an ad page, but with reasonable eye-appeal on the remaing front cover might sell for as much as 50% of 2.0 FMV, where a more common book "complete", but brittle and chipped, with old yellow tape holding a split spine together, and chews along one or more edges might not fetch 10% of 2.0 guide. Both would be "poor", but still not comprable. What is surprising is no matter how ugly a Golden Age book there is a price at which it will sell.

Are you still going after all the books on the Gerber Photo-Journal Covers? Last I'd heard you had 30 of the 80.
You bet! I'm up to 38/80 now. More coming I hope! However, I'm getting into the 4 figure books now so it's going to slow down considerably. I've decided to keep this one even though I sort of overpaid:

terrific4.jpg

Are you still going after all the books on the Gerber Photo-Journal Covers? Last I'd heard you had 30 of the 80.
You bet! I'm up to 38/80 now. More coming I hope! However, I'm getting into the 4 figure books now so it's going to slow down considerably. I've decided to keep this one even though I sort of overpaid:

Nah ... it's still a kick-*spoon* cover and the book is "loaded with action" so be happy to have scored a copy headbang.gif Yours is a very interesting goal. 893applaud-thumb.gif