• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

Wow! The infamous chimp/chump cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Bought this Jumbo Comics #10 at the NY Con....One of my favorite covers, classic Lou Fine and scarce with only 3 in CGC census. yay.gif

402783426_91d6558325_b.jpg

GE

that was Harley's, huh? i tried to buy it in c'town and then in minneapolis, but could never get him to move. kinda wish i'da sprung for it now, as i want all the non-jungle jumbo covers [excluding the big ones]--neat little several book run.

Bought this Jumbo Comics #10 at the NY Con....One of my favorite covers, classic Lou Fine and scarce with only 3 in CGC census. yay.gif

Another bizarre perspective special, isn't it?

Mr Spaceman is throwing a spear from slightly behind himself at a dragon that's looking at the back of his head -- yet the dragon's foot is in front of the spaceman's leg!

My brain hurts.

Jack

Mr Spaceman is throwing a spear from slightly behind himself at a dragon that's looking at the back of his head -- yet the dragon's foot is in front of the spaceman's leg!

My brain hurts.

Not sure I see it the same as you. Basically the beast is in the foreground and the guy is maybe 10 feet behind him and then the drawing makes sense. Your mileage may vary.

Jjbee2001, my man, you're definitely collecting the right books!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks! I've always been into ashcans & other rarities/oddities, but I think I've finally fallen in love with a mainstream title. 893whatthe.gif

I'll take a 4.5 that looks like that any day. Looks better than many 6.0's I've seen.

I agree. I love books like this. I would fill my whole collection with them if I could.

I'll take a 4.5 that looks like that any day. Looks better than many 6.0's I've seen.

I agree. I love books like this. I would fill my whole collection with them if I could.

Any thoughts as to what defects made it a 4.5?

Any thoughts as to what defects made it a 4.5?

It has a NCB top to bottom crease on the back and a few small chips. That said, I think a VG+ is conservative.

My brain hurts.

Not sure I see it the same as you. Basically the beast is in the foreground and the guy is maybe 10 feet behind him and then the drawing makes sense. Your mileage may vary.

In that case, the beastie is only about as big as a small dog? And that's an arrow- rather than spear-sized tip? And the beastie is looking at some undefined point between himself and the viewer, not at Mr Spaceman?

I don't know why, but I just can't make it work. Maybe because I have no art training.

Jack

One of the 20 books I wound up picking up on the last day of the NY Comic Con.

FightingYank18.jpg

Very, very pretty light blues on that cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

GE

GE;

Now that's a real sharp looking book for a 6.5 F+ and a great pickup. cloud9.gif

I have been looking for one of these for years now at a reasonable price without any luck. I remember Fishler had the D copy at one time, but was asking for a really outrageous price considering the condition.

What are the major flaws on this copy since it definitely looks nicer than a 6.5 from the front cover image? Did you have to pay a significant premium to condition guide for this copy?

Congtars again on your pickup. thumbsup2.gif

Great book, now lets see the other 19! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll try to post a few each day. Most of them will probably make it over to the WTB Forum at some point too if I don't get a chance to post them here.

WonderWoman16.jpg