• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

Your first Ghost? Awesome! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You could post it in pre-code thread, FH thread, GGA Thread... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

my new funny book. i don't see a 'chesler appreciation' thread, so here it is. one of my favorite g.a. covers!

Cherish a Chesler

You'll like the first book. wink.gif

Just in from 143ksk, and freshly freed from its plastic coffin. As the label says - it has WHITE pages - which never ceases to blow me away on a book 65 years old. The more I look at it the more I love this cover, the perspective on the blue gun is strange, but the knife through the hand - love it. The inside is chock full of the nasty violence that CDNP was known for in the early years (acid in the face, infanticide!), it also contains artwork by those Archie/MLJ stalwarts Harry Lucey and Bob Montana. For those who have wondered who "War Eagle" was (1st and only appearance as per Overstreet) - he's a patriotic superhero in a red white and blue costume that includes an eagle head and wings - kinda goofy actually.

cdnp22.jpg

Nice pick-up rjpb!

#22 (actually #1) is scarce and only 8 in cencus. According to OPG, Crime Does Not Pay is the first crime title....so, is this the first crime comic? Curious... confused-smiley-013.gif

GE

One could certainly argue that Detective Comics was a crime title when it started, and other predecessors like Four Color #7 (Gang Busters) look like them as well. What makes CDNP special is it was the first regular title to feature ordinary criminals as the featured characters, usually leaving those that apprehended or killed them fairly anonymous. While pre-code crime comics ultimately include titles which feature continuing private eye characters, I think the essence of the genre are those comics in which the criminals are the stars. This "glorification" of crime, along with gratuitous violence, was what made crime comics controversial in the first place.

This is what makes CDNP #22 a key book - though still fairly affordable for a 1942 "key", as even among the non-superhero genres, crime comics don't get that much love.

These just came in via FedEx today:

FY #6

FY6-fc.jpg

I may have Classics press out the roll before I slab it and cloud9.gif. WHITE pages.

FY #7

FY7-fc.jpg

Tape makes me cry though. OWW pages.

Were these from the Live Auction on eBay?

These just came in via FedEx today:

FY #6

FY #7

Very cool. Two issues way high on my wish-list. Are there any good stories inside to back up these fab covers?

Thanks!

I don't know how good the stories are yet. I'll be enjoying them later. Still re-bagging, staring at covers, drooling. Then starting the read-fest with the #3 that came also. The whole lot was a #3, #5, #6, #7, #8 & #10.

I can't decide if I should crack the #8 from its slab or not since I'll be selling all of them (except maybe the #3) to pay for the #6.

th_FY3-fc.jpg th_FY5-fc.jpg th_FY10-fc.jpg

Just in from 143ksk, and freshly freed from its plastic coffin. As the label says - it has WHITE pages - which never ceases to blow me away on a book 65 years old. The more I look at it the more I love this cover, the perspective on the blue gun is strange, but the knife through the hand - love it. The inside is chock full of the nasty violence that CDNP was known for in the early years (acid in the face, infanticide!), it also contains artwork by those Archie/MLJ stalwarts Harry Lucey and Bob Montana. For those who have wondered who "War Eagle" was (1st and only appearance as per Overstreet) - he's a patriotic superhero in a red white and blue costume that includes an eagle head and wings - kinda goofy actually.

cdnp22.jpg

does this book have 3 small pieces of tape on the inside of the front cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Steve