• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Found this in the endless comic box yesterday. It's a late 50s (not technically golden age, but still... ) Australian issue of Catman. I believe the story is unique to this title and not a US reprint (the costume certainly isn't the same) The covers are newsprint and the interior is black-and-white. The Grand Comics Database lists the Phantom comics by the same publisher, but not the others. I've got a similar issue of The Shadow somewhere, too.

catman8.jpg

Very nice cover on that book. I don't always get too excited by these international editions because the cover art is often lame -- that one most definitely is not. thumbsup2.gif

The interior art seems to be the same guy. It's solid, although not spectacular. Very readable--consistent with a lot of the US art of the era.

Here's one you don't see too often - a Schomburg cover, Gerber 8 no-show. I wasn't actively looking for this book as they usually go for quite a bit, but I saw it listed during the VCC and it's such a cool cover I had to snag it. This copy's low grade, but the cover is complete and it was priced right! cloud9.gif

exciting28.jpg

I have never seen that cover before......WOW is all I can say....nice pick up drbanner headbang.gif

Yes, outstanding cover image from Schomburg on this issue. cloud9.gif

I remember seeing the Church copy at the Metro booth a couple of years ago during the SD Con. Very tempting, but I just didn't want to risk the $9K asking price since my wife would probably have my bags packed and out the door by the time I got back home. 27_laughing.gif

Any idea where the Church copy is right now or is it still sitting in Metro's inventory? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And this.....

wonderworld20.jpg

I am not a big fan of these latter Fox books. But this one was in such nice shape, the cover ain't too bad, and sacentaur was about to donate it to the local Goodwill drop box. I figured if I gave it a good home with lots of love, maybe it would grow on me.

Just back from CGC....

Gotta love the Hangman covers.

What are you doing with a low grade book in your collection screwy.gif

What? It's low grade? 893whatthe.gif....Wow, you are right! tonofbricks.gif.....

Who wants this piece of junk? Christo_pull_hair.gif

(Thanks for the thumbs up scrooge!)

Edited by MrBedrock

What? It's low grade? 893whatthe.gif....Wow, you are right! tonofbricks.gif.....

All my saying is that those super HG Timely books aren't going to be kind to that MLJ 6.5. I know! Anybook above VG in my collection is eyed with suspicion by all the others. 27_laughing.gif

All my saying is that those super HG Timely books aren't going to be kind to that MLJ 6.5. I know! Anybook above VG in my collection is eyed with suspicion by all the others. 27_laughing.gif

Every time one of the high grade Timelys gets a little uppity or out of line I remind them that they could just as easily be in the collection of someone who just loves them for their monetary value. They immediately become VERY accepting! No comic wants to feel like a whore!

Richard nice book, I recently picked up my first issue of WW just because of the awesome covers.

Thanks, Peter. The issues through #13 all have terrific covers. After that it is kinda hit or miss. Which issue did you get? Metro has a #28(?) on their site with an outstanding cover.

Any idea where the Church copy is right now or is it still sitting in Metro's inventory?

Yep.

I had a chance to look over that book in Chicago a couple years back with our very own Pedigreeman. It's a CGC 9.2 and we were both in agreement that the book actually looked a bit UNDERGRADED through its plastic tomb. Putting price aside, it is a beautiful book.

Very cool book. And you just can't beat a big, fat golden age book for under $200!

Two new books that I've had for a while (at least a month for the Ranger), but I finally got around to scanning them today.

First up, Rangers #26. My first Fiction House book. I love this cover. Rangers seem to have a lot of cool covers, and are relatively inexpensive, athough I did have to go close to double guide, and I think the colors on the actual book arent as nice as they were in the Ebay scan (my scan here is a closer representation, I believe). As for the grade... kind of a weak 7.5 in my opinion, I would personnally put it closer to 6.5, maybe 7.0.

Ranger26.jpg

Next, from the last big Heritage auction, my first Nedor. It wont be my last! I love these Schomburg war covers. If this was a Timely, with a bondage and branding cover, it would have gone for 10 times the price I paid. The book itself is really nice, although the back cover is certainly more tan than I would like. Its safely here on the cool, low humidity, high elevation prairie now though, so it shouldnt get any worse.

FightingYank8.jpg