• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,434 posts in this topic

This was waiting for me when I got home today. I must have upgraded (or attempted to upgrade) this book a half a dozen times, but I think now I'm finally satisfied. :cloud9:

Jeff

BuckRogersKelloggsVFfcsm.jpg

Very satisfying indeed. :golfclap:

This was waiting for me when I got home today. I must have upgraded (or attempted to upgrade) this book a half a dozen times, but I think now I'm finally satisfied. :cloud9:

Jeff

Very satisfying indeed. :golfclap:

Never seen this before. Very cool! :cool:

Jeff

Really nice, Jeff (worship)

It's so purdy, it almost looks like one of those $500 (ahem) reprint copies that I came across up at WonderCon (the dealer didn't know about the Kellogg's ad appearing on the back cover of the original).

Really nice, Jeff (worship)

It's so purdy, it almost looks like one of those $500 (ahem) reprint copies that I came across up at WonderCon (the dealer didn't know about the Kellogg's ad appearing on the back cover of the original).

Wow, no kidding! doh! Do you think it was a legitmate mistake or was he trying to pull a fast one? It's a tough mistake to make.

BTW here's the bc on this one:

BuckRogersKelloggsVFbcsm.jpg

Jeff, that looks spectacular. :applause:

I love clunky 1930's era spaceships and they don't get any clunkier than that.

What is inside the book? Is it a text story with spot illos?

Exactly - it's a text story by Nowlan retelling Buck's origin, with new color illustrations by Calkins:

c34e_1.jpg

c41c_1.jpg

Wow, no kidding! Do you think it was a legitmate mistake or was he trying to pull a fast one? It's a tough mistake to make.

It was obvious that it was an honest mistake on his part (not being familiar with the item).

Again, your copy is really beautiful! (thumbs u

Jeff

Gak!!!...now if only I could find one... :pullhair::wishluck: (thumbs u

All this talk of Buck Rogers made me pull down my copy of 1969 hardcover The Collected Works of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century to get another look at that kooky and corky Calkins art. The scans aren't great because the book is oversized (Gerber guide size but thicker). Here are some early examples:

IN order, we have first Wilma getting into trouble (again), getting captured by the Tiger Men in 1930.

Second is a 1929 depiction of a television (as we talked about that in another thread) and some bizarre navajo armed forces.

Finally, circa early 1931, we have Wilma putting off Buck. Pish! Pish!

Enjoy. (Sorry for the stretch)

42565-BR-1930-TigerMen.jpg.446c35d16b90901bf4fd3358d431efdb.jpg

42566-BR-1929-MongolEmperor.jpg.fed813c18c574e76c6c67a04d301545c.jpg

42567-BR-1930-1931-PishPish.jpg.6bae83ed5ed755280e2e8568e9fb43da.jpg

All this talk of Buck Rogers made me pull down my copy of 1969 hardcover The Collected Works of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century to get another look at that kooky and corky Calkins art. The scans aren't great because the book is oversized (Gerber guide size but thicker). Here are some early examples:

IN order, we have first Wilma getting into trouble (again), getting captured by the Tiger Men in 1930.

Second is a 1929 depiction of a television (as we talked about that in another thread) and some bizarre navajo armed forces.

Finally, circa early 1931, we have Wilma putting off Buck. Pish! Pish!

Enjoy. (Sorry for the stretch)

The "Collected Works" is a must have for any Buck Rogers fan! Great stuff. Calkins is obviously not a great artist by any stretch; awkward anatomy, lack of proportion, etc. but somehow it works for this strip, which hovers between serious and campy anyway. Rick Yaeger, who did the Sundays, was a much better artist technically, but somehow his work just isn't as much fun. Gotta love the Tigermen with the little soul patch goatee and all the Dr. Suess-like contraptions! :applause:

Nowlan and Calkins were breaking new ground with this strip - when they started it in January 1929, no one else was doing a non-funny adventure strip. Even Foster's Tarzan dailies, which started at the same time, were less a true strip than a series of captioned illustrations (and that was very intentional). It helped show that the medium could successfully carry genres other than cartoony sit-coms like Bringing up Father, Blondie, etc. and paved the way for Tracy, Terry and the Pirates, the Phantom, and yes, even Superman.

Jeff