• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

This arrived today and I couldn't be happier. It's my first pedigree purchase. It's also in a 3-way tie for top of the census at 9.0. Boy Comics 27 Crowley Copy

:banana:

newboy27.jpg

-Rob-

Cool book, Rob. (thumbs u

This arrived today and I couldn't be happier. It's my first pedigree purchase. It's also in a 3-way tie for top of the census at 9.0. Boy Comics 27 Crowley Copy

Nice Boy Comic! Not that I'm a high-grade hunter, but it seems like those are harder to find in sharp condition than "Big Two" or gorier pre-code because nobody paid attention to them for a while. True?

Here's another from the batch that I've been posting lately (not skypinkblu's).

Young Love 7 Mar 1950 Prize/Crestwood. Looks like at least FN+ (so nice I'll even use them fancy numbers, 6.5 or maybe 7.0). There's a small, erased initial or arrival notation in the upper left corner. Simon & Kirby material in the book -- usually I can smash my books on the scanner with impunity, but this time I'll have to think about it if I want to show some pages.

I know that photo covers aren't a big hit here, but this is a good'n with great colors. It looks like it spent some time as a wall book (tack hole in the board), but either not near the window or not as long as some others in the stack (faded Young Romance V11#6 for example).

50045-YoungLove7.jpg

Jack

Nice Boy Comic! Not that I'm a high-grade hunter, but it seems like those are harder to find in sharp condition than "Big Two" or gorier pre-code because nobody paid attention to them for a while. True?

Jack

Well, I've really gotten into this particular series. The thing that seems most apparent is that-- there's not a ton of copies that have been submitted of any issue. I have a few nice ones that I'm going to slab this year (one I have very high hopes for.) I don't know if the lack of HG slabs is due to them being rare or not. I know at conventions I can find Boy Comics at will, but they average around 2.0-4.0 when I find them. The HG copies I've obtained all came from major dealers like Metro and Harley Yee. I just can't seem to find them in-grade otherwise. (Even EBay has been a disappointment in this regard.) Finding them with good PQ is also problematic, it seems. This Crowley is C/OW, although that's to be expected as Crowleys don't have killer PQ in the first place. But buying raw books it seems even the nice ones don't have much better than ow/w PQ. I don't know what the demand is for them, though. If more people bought them obsessively like I've been doing, I bet more nice copies would turn up!

-Rob-

But buying raw books it seems even the nice ones don't have much better than ow/w PQ.

Print comic on cheapest paper possible.

Store haphazardly for 60 years.

And you are surprised at cr-ow pages? :baiting:

P.S. Congratulations on you new "Boy". :applause:

But buying raw books it seems even the nice ones don't have much better than ow/w PQ.

Print comic on cheapest paper possible.

Store haphazardly for 60 years.

And you are surprised at cr-ow pages? :baiting:

P.S. Congratulations on you new "Boy". :applause:

lol Thanks

And no I'm not surprised :P

:banana:

newboy27.jpg

-Rob-

Rob, here's my only copy of your favorite run, the only Okajima i have [and with white pages!!].

boy.jpg

Here's another from the batch that I've been posting lately (not skypinkblu's).

... It looks like it spent some time as a wall book (tack hole in the board), but either not near the window or not as long as some others in the stack (faded Young Romance V11#6 for example).

Yet another, First Love Illustrated 70, Harvey, November 1956 -- OK, marginally GA. No great shakes, about VG+ 4.5 (that ballpoint year doesn't do it any favors, but its sort of interesting how the blue selectively faded. Usually red dyes (inks) are more photosensitive. Does anyone know whether Harvey was trying anything interesting with their inks in the late 1950s?

50082-Firstlove.jpg

Maybe it should be on the Short Bus, but it's an interesting Kirby cover.

Should I mention that it only cost a buck?

Jack

Rob, here's my only copy of your favorite run, the only Okajima i have [and with white pages!!].

boy.jpg

(worship) (worship) (worship)

It's beautiful. I can only imagine how nice the pages must be as obviously Okajimas have notoriously great pages. Thanks for posting it.

I would ask if you happen to remember this post-- if you ever sell I would greatly appreciate dibs. This is actually the only Okajima "Boy" I've seen.