• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

And who knew the Shadow wore a mood ring?

I know you're joking but, to make sure, that's his famous girasol ring (essentially an opal) that appeared from the very first Shadow novel: The Living Shadow. It's a Shadow trademark and seen on many Shadow covers like this one. I also show the original pulp cover that inspired the comics' cover.

64543.jpg.05152c7641e31110653532784f002f93.jpg

64544.jpg.2a99ccd49b9c841fab8d2538475c2c51.jpg

I know you're joking but, to make sure, that's his famous girasol ring (essentially an opal) that appeared from the very first Shadow novel: The Living Shadow. It's a Shadow trademark and seen on many Shadow covers like this one. I also show the original pulp cover that inspired the comics' cover.

yeah, I was speaking specifically to the color of the stone on this cover. The purple looked exactly like mood ring purple to me.

:hi:

I used to have and exact replica of that ring. I think Gemstone put it out in the early 90's. It was beautiful and I often wore it to comic conventions. Like a nimrod, I sold it quite some time ago

It only took a dozen years or so, but I finally got my grubby hands on a sharp copy of this killer cover. I'm on :cloud9: right now.
cool...reminds me a little of Terrific 4 (thumbs u

It only took a dozen years or so, but I finally got my grubby hands on a sharp copy of this killer cover. I'm on :cloud9: right now.
cool...reminds me a little of Terrific 4 (thumbs u

you mean this? MY gorgeous copy:

TerrificComics4.jpg

(thumbs u

Just picked this beauty up #209 with a Frazetta cover.

FAMOUSFUNNIES209.jpg

Great cover, but funny yellow "stockings" on Wilma. (If that's her)

Don't you suppose that Frazetta intended her legs to show? Maybe the editor asked the colorist to tone the cover down a bit. Not a very attractive choice.

Jack

I think you nailed it there.....stockings probably weren't intended to be colored by Frazetta, as they don't look like stockings to me. Does she have stockings on in the book itself?

I de-slabbed a couple of these and scanned them. Only the first 16 issues of Superboy were the "52 page" format, and they are by far my favorite of the series.

Here is a group shop of the seven of 16 I have so far. I promise you guys a 1-258 group shot someday :grin:

th_sb2.jpgth_sb6.jpgth_sb7.jpg

th_sb9.jpgth_sb10.jpgth_sb12.jpgth_sb15.jpg