• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
48 48

48,572 posts in this topic

great books! Condition is not the thing with books like that!

Thanks Shiver,

I usually never make it out of the "A" box when I start scanning. These books are not as interesting as some of the first group.

My collection of junk is still small potatoes compared to BZ, Billy Parker and many other board members.

But they look good in a group. After I make it to the "G"box, I will go back and list other genre.

These are just the fanboy favorite superheroes, although I did scan a Seven Seas girl (but she is kind of super).

3150999756_26caeba693_m.jpg3150167235_35451f6d7a_m.jpg3150999436_75ed079e2d_m.jpg3150166889_459f7fc7e0_m.jpg

3150166677_743c648b17_m.jpg3150166429_482e176bd0_m.jpg3150166189_b203ddd5c2_m.jpg3150998412_cace9cc721_m.jpg

3150165783_5096c6ac0a_m.jpg3150165537_7e54b8332b_m.jpg3150997758_8c7d9e827d_m.jpg3150165083_e38ab10639_m.jpg

The All Flash 11 story looks especially good. I think I will go back and read that one again.

bb

hm He lives in NY(you know, the small town State) and has just about the same collection that I do (except a few of his are better)

Maybe I need to go check my boxes...;):o

Either that, or GMTA;) (worship)

Ok, here is a wonderful little story. A couple of months back I began a conversation with a very nice lady who has spent a little time here on the boards. Mostly reading and enjoying our GA forum.

Turns out she also likes many of the same books that I do. Well, she bought comics from a local drugstore in her hometown up north back in the late 1940's and early 1950's, and she still had them!

Ms. Pat, was kind enough to ask if I might be interested in acquiring them. Most of you know me. so that is a given. I will spend my last dime, and next month's last dime for books I want.

Anyway, we discussed the books over the past two months and we were able to reach a deal for them. They came in two waves. The first set was around 15-16 books, the next set (that arrived yesterday) was 25 books.

Pat wrote her name on most of the books, so they will always bear the name of the young girl that loved them. She obviously read and enjoyed these books very much, and now I will have the chance to do the same.

She was also kind enough to include a letter of provenance with each set.

And now, without further ado, I present the Pat Collection!

Thanks again Pat for a wonderful collection of books, I hope you read this post and get a kick out of seeing your books displayed in my comic room, waiting to be read.

Bill

patgroupreduced.jpg

Very cool....you are very lucky to have met the original owner, shared stories, and of course acquired some great books :applause:

Well, I've only met her in the electronic sense, but are right, I am very lucky to know her.

Ok, here is a wonderful little story. A couple of months back I began a conversation with a very nice lady who has spent a little time here on the boards. Mostly reading and enjoying our GA forum.

Turns out she also likes many of the same books that I do. Well, she bought comics from a local drugstore in her hometown up north back in the late 1940's and early 1950's, and she still had them!

Ms. Pat, was kind enough to ask if I might be interested in acquiring them. Most of you know me. so that is a given. I will spend my last dime, and next month's last dime for books I want.

Anyway, we discussed the books over the past two months and we were able to reach a deal for them. They came in two waves. The first set was around 15-16 books, the next set (that arrived yesterday) was 25 books.

Pat wrote her name on most of the books, so they will always bear the name of the young girl that loved them. She obviously read and enjoyed these books very much, and now I will have the chance to do the same.

Thanks again Pat for a wonderful collection of books, I hope you read this post and get a kick out of seeing your books displayed in my comic room, waiting to be read.

Bill

patgroupreduced.jpg

'bout time i saw them; nice group shot pons. excellent story as well.

You and the gang of geeks will get the thumb them up in a month. :)

I building strength in my thumb as we speak.

You and the gang of geeks will get the thumb them up in a month. :)

I building strength in my thumb as we speak.

now, admit it's the whole left hand you regularly work out, geek.

Bill

patgroupreduced.jpg

That's a great collection and great story. GA books with a provenance are just the coolest things in the world to me. (thumbs u

Me too

It's not often that you'll get a chance to talk to an original owner like Pat. I'd be curious if she had any favorite stories from those comics that she can still recall.

Also, it might be fun for you to hear anything she might be willing to share about the store where she purchased the comics, favorite covers, etc.

Bill

patgroupreduced.jpg

Great story Bill. Looks like she had a pretty good eye for cool books. (thumbs u

Here is a snippet of one of her notes to me about the books

"These WW Comics are well read as WW was the only super hero that girls could relate in the 1950s"

"I bought my comics at a little corner store, what would now be called convenience store, in the town where I grew up of Manistee, Michigan. The store was called "Shorty's Takeout". I can't recall but I think there was a newsstand in the downtown area also"