• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

Got back from vacation today and found these beauties waiting for me. The TOTJ was marked a 7.5 from Heritage. I am pretty happy with their grading on that one!

suspensedetective4.jpg

totj21-3.jpg

It's gorgeous, I was wondering while I was bidding on that one, if you were the one who was going to beat me ;) great books!

It's gorgeous, I was wondering while I was bidding on that one, if you were the one who was going to beat me ;) great books! [/color]

It seems like that happens a good deal around here. Just looking over this thread breifly, I see Great Escape snagged that lovely Black Cat 45 from under me! :mad:

Nice books folks!!

I haven't been buying much lately, but here's a gem of a book I won in the recent CLINK auction... it has since been cracked out, and the pages are gorgeous.

Two big reasons why I love this cover so much: its Everett, and its yellow. :banana:

RAD0C0512009429_133917.jpg

Nice books folks!!

I haven't been buying much lately, but here's a gem of a book I won in the recent CLINK auction... it has since been cracked out, and the pages are gorgeous.

Two big reasons why I love this cover so much: its Everett, and its yellow. :banana:

:applause:

Nice books folks!!

a beaut ryan; you got it for as cheap as you did thanks to ciorac. literally on the day i was going to go hard after your book, he sold me his jungle 1. i just couldn't do both, and hopped off the target train. so glad a buddy boardie got it.

Nice books folks!!

a beaut ryan; you got it for as cheap as you did thanks to ciorac. literally on the day i was going to go hard after your book, he sold me his jungle 1. i just couldn't do both, and hopped off the target train. so glad a buddy boardie got it.

Thanks Billy... you'll have first dibs should it ever move. But for now, its in a happy, secure home!

Nice books folks!!

Thats cool. Is he a World War 1 era hero.....as opposed to current (when the book was published) ?

Nice books folks!!

Reason #3: It's wicked cool. (worship)

Congrats Ryan!

Nice books folks!!

Thats cool. Is he a World War 1 era hero.....as opposed to current (when the book was published) ?

Early WWII looked a lot like WWI in many respects. There was incredibly rapid technological improvement once the war really started heating up. This book is cover dated March 1940, which means it was probably created in late 1939 or very early in 1940. Hitler invaded Poland in September 1939 so the cover image is probably more accurate that we would initially think.

Nice books folks!!

Early WWII looked a lot like WWI in many respects. There was incredibly rapid technological improvement once the war really started heating up. This book is cover dated March 1940, which means it was probably created in late 1939 or very early in 1940. Hitler invaded Poland in September 1939 so the cover image is probably more accurate that we would initially think.

At the start of WWII, the helmets were the leftovers from WWI basically - those ones with the wide brims and in peace time with countries bleeding money, no reason to replace them. Once the war efforts picked up, new equipment and uniforms came into play. During peace time, I guess it made sense to use what they had. Pretty quickly into the war, the style changed to what we are used to seeing. A lot of 1940 and 1941 books will show those covers. For instance, this cover had to be drawn immediately after Pearl Harbor and displaying the different American soldiers.

th_CaptainMarvel8CGC80.jpg

A few of my purchases from an auction this weekend

wonderworld23.jpg

airboyv32.jpg

ff17.jpg

exciting3.jpg

I bid small on that lot, but tried to win the mystic 4 lot but was outbid :cry:

I thought the planet 1/fantastic 5 lot went way strong too?

Nice books folks!!

At the start of WWII, the helmets were the leftovers from WWI basically - those ones with the wide brims and in peace time with countries bleeding money, no reason to replace them. Once the war efforts picked up, new equipment and uniforms came into play. During peace time, I guess it made sense to use what they had. Pretty quickly into the war, the style changed to what we are used to seeing. A lot of 1940 and 1941 books will show those covers. For instance, this cover had to be drawn immediately after Pearl Harbor and displaying the different American soldiers.

th_CaptainMarvel8CGC80.jpg

Oh yea.....those soldiers to the left of Captain Marvel look like the same kind of uni's and helmets as the Target book. Very cool stuff I must say