• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

Here is a fun win off of the bay

True Comics Educational Giveaway from 1943 entitled "THEY GOT THE BLAME - THE STORY OF SCAPEGOATS IN HISTORY". Not in overstreet, but listed as a Getber 7. Hitler makes a 3 page cameo. Some very controversial language contained in this 8 pager.

blame-1.jpg

Ahem, you are a thief good sir. :sumo::makepoint:(tsk):slapfight:

Nice steal (I was the underbidder). At least I know it is in a good home. :golfclap: (thumbs u

Well thanks for making me pay for it. Much appreciated. :makepoint:

That's what friends are for! :foryou:

Scarce (according to OSPG, not sure if it really is) last issue.

CapJr119.jpg

I never noticed that cover before. Not exactly one of the Raboy masterpieces but makes me want to read the story. The Raboy's just make me want to stare at the cover. Did they execute minors back then?

This cover is not by Raboy but by Bud Thomson who has a more cartoonish style as can be seen in not only CMJr but also the chair attendant. By this point, Raboy had been working on Flash Gordon for a while.

I've seen that book on eBay here and there so it's not as hard to get by as some other later Fawcetts. I believe that late issues of Marvel Family are tougher.

Sweet book Mark. It's funny how editorial played with the end / demise of the title with the cover caption - "Condemned to Die".

True Comics Educational Giveaway from 1943 entitled "THEY GOT THE BLAME - THE STORY OF SCAPEGOATS IN HISTORY". Not in overstreet, but listed as a Getber 7. Hitler makes a 3 page cameo. Some very controversial language contained in this 8 pager.

blame-1.jpg

Nice steal (I was the underbidder). At least I know it is in a good home. :golfclap: (thumbs u

Shouldn't you be reading a memo? :whistle:

blame-1.jpg

Shouldn't you be reading a memo? :whistle:

Already incorporated the info into the memo at about 3 am this morning. :gossip:

This cover is not by Raboy but by Bud Thomson who has a more cartoonish style as can be seen in not only CMJr but also the chair attendant. By this point, Raboy had been working on Flash Gordon for a while.

I've seen that book on eBay here and there so it's not as hard to get by as some other later Fawcetts. I believe that late issues of Marvel Family are tougher.

Sweet book Mark. It's funny how editorial played with the end / demise of the title with the cover caption - "Condemned to Die".

I knew the cover wasn't by Raboy but was just saying that it was interesting to me that the Raboy CMJr's are so great but never really made me want to read the story, just look at the cover. While this CMJr cover made me want to read the story. Just to clarify. :)

I knew the cover wasn't by Raboy but was just saying that it was interesting to me that the Raboy CMJr's are so great but never really made me want to read the story, just look at the cover. While this CMJr cover made me want to read the story. Just to clarify. :)

Gotcha (thumbs u

That's what Steranko would describe as the difference between a cool and a warm artist. Raboy to me is the epitome of a cool artist: the art is fantastic and flawless, yet is also lifeless, unlike Thomson. Many lesser GA artists derided for not being as good drafstmen as Lou Fine or Reed Crandall were nonetheless able to bring warmth or movement to their artwork that makes them truly enjoyable to me. One example of an artist for whom I excuse figure awkwardness at times is Al Carreno. There are others including an Atlast Western artist whose name escapes me at the moment.

One example of an artist for whom I excuse figure awkwardness at times is Al Carreno. There are others including an Atlast Western artist whose name escapes me at the moment.

Examples? :wishluck:

The Marvel photo covers of the 1949-50 are a set I've mostly completed. To go along with theme here the first in a fun set and a link to a blog were I have the rest of the set and a few notes. Ultimately I'll make the effort and put all the photo covers together for a group shot.

IMG_0005.jpg

http://obscurecomics.blogspot.com

Here is a nifty digest size giveaway from 1936 called "CARTOONS TELL THE STORY". It was written on behalf of the RNC for the 1936 Presidential campaign in which Alf Landon and his running mate, Frank Knox, ran unsuccessfully for office. It was published by the RNC, and features cartoons from newspapers around the country including the NEW YORK TRIBUNE, OMAHA EvENING WORLD-HERALD, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE, CHICAGO HERALD AND EXAMINER, KANSAS CITY STAR, PHILADELPHIA ENQUIRER, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, CHICAGO DAILY NEWS, CINCINNATI TIMES-STAR and the ST.LOUIS GLOBE-.

The comic tears into the Democratic policies, is decidedly anti-Roosevelt in tone and criticizes the New Deal (describing it as something that will "bankrupt" the country). As a follow-up to this presidential race, Landon lost and held the record for the biggest landslide loss of presidency until 1964.

cartoonstellstory.jpg

cartoonstellstory2.jpg

cartoonstellstory3.jpg

cartoonstellstory1.jpg

cartoonstellstoryb.jpg

Edited by Sardo Numspar

As many of you may know, I was asking about Batman 1 recently in a thread which was derailed by a more interesting discussion about the investment potential of big books like that. Behind the scenes, though, I was offered a Batman 1 by a boardie I knew little about. He had never sold on the boards, which was a red flag, but he sent me a zillion photos and offered to let me inspect the book in person. He was in Las Vegas, which is not far from where I live, so I made arrangements to fly out for the weekend and meet up with him. I also brought along the girlfriend so we could have a great Las Vegas weekend if the Batman thing went south.

We flew into Vegas Friday morning. Our hotel room in Ballys was on the Paris side, so we had the Eiffel Tower right outside our window. I was supposed to meet the seller at 1 pm in the Ballys lobby, We waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing. At 2 pm, I left him a PM and we went on with our day. I was a bit upset, but figured we were going to have fun in Vegas so the weekend would be worthwhile anyway.

At 10:30 pm, while we were about to start sucking down some tropical drinks at Frankie's Tiki Bar, my phone rings. It's the seller. He was at Ballys, but the lobby arrangement there is strange and he couldn't find me. He had the wrong phone number for me and didn't get the correct one until he got back to his computer that night. We made plans to meet the next morning at 10 am.

I let the girlfriend sleep in, and shortly after 10, my phone rings. It's the seller, looking for me, standing 10 feet away. We go to the conference room area, squat in an open room, and I inspect the Batman. I knew it was a real one the moment I opened the bag and smelled 60 year old paper. (Girlfriend later: "Did you get a woody?" Me: "Almost.) The book was pretty much exactly as described and, IMO, fairly graded. I think an eBay seller would have bumped it up a grade trying to squeeze more $$$ out of it.

I decided to buy the book. We went to the bank and I handed over a thick stack of hundred dollar bills.

Back in my hotel room, the girlfriend and I leafed through the book and I pointed out the various first appearances and other cool things about Batman 1. Owning a copy of this book has been an on and off goal for most of my life. This one has extensive professional restoration, but who cares? It's a Batman 1.

Batman1-1.jpg

Edited by seank