• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Very cool fanzines (thumbs u

I just picked up this book, which has the first appearance of a character with enough similarities to Archie that I thought I should own it :) It appeared over a year before Pep 22.

cgc2011075.jpg

Note that he is a student at Riverview High, has a friend named Jughead and a girlfriend named Betty.

cgc2011076.jpg

The last panel of the story looks kinda familiar, too...

cgc2011077.jpg

I always said that Archie Comics would be so much better if they had more vigilante justice rantrant

Note that he is a student at Riverview High, has a friend named Jughead and a girlfriend named Betty.

Interesting stuff. The Betty coincidence is unsurprising, given that popular fictional radio teen athlete Jack Armstong had a girlfriend named Betty, and while the River prefix is not unusual for fictional small towns, and I suppose Jughead was used as a nickname now and then, the number of parallels, including the rich girl/poor girl love triangle would indicate a good chance that the creators of Archie were familiar with this strip, even if the similarities were subconsciously applied.

I always said that Archie Comics would be so much better if they had more vigilante justice rantrant

Either that or ninjas.

Though, come to think of it, how do we know there aren't ninjas and we just can't see them? :insane:

Really excited about these two pickups. The #2 is a beater, but I've been looking for a copy for a while.

IMG2.jpg

IMG_00012.jpg

Very cool, Josh - I have a nice mid-grade #2 (from RyanH), but have been on the lookout for a decent #3 for years (no luck).

GREAT pickups. Tried for a restored pair of these several years back on ebay, what I thought was a pretty strong bid was blown away. Tough books indeed.

Really excited about these two pickups. The #2 is a beater, but I've been looking for a copy for a while.

IMG2.jpg

IMG_00012.jpg

Very cool, Josh - I have a nice mid-grade #2 (from RyanH), but have been on the lookout for a decent #3 for years (no luck).