• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

After a week of being shut out of Schomburg covers from both Heritage and Comiclink, I managed to snag this gem from the weekly Heritage auction for much less then my max bid:

I think a lot of potential buyers were wiped out from all the other auctions. I completely forgot about the Heritage Sunday auctions. It's too bad because I had my eye on Camp Comics #2 in CGC 7.0, and it went for what I consider a pretty low price.

After a week of being shut out of Schomburg covers from both Heritage and Comiclink, I managed to snag this gem from the weekly Heritage auction for much less then my max bid:

Thrilling Comics 63 CGC 9.2 File Copy

lf.jpg

Seems to me the book would have fetched a few hundred dollars more (at least) if it were in the Signature auction but I guess the heavy hitters were taking the night off, or perhaps didn't expect it to show up in the weekly auction. Either way, :takeit:

I've felt a slight cooling in the Nedor titles in the last couple of auctions. It seems to me that some of the people who have been very active have taken a break.

I'm not sure if this is a tongue-in-cheek comment or just a difference in persepctive Jeff. All my bids (which, while not tippy top of the market, weren't lowballs either) were handily outdone on every Nedor Schomburg that I wanted, and there was a good half-dozen of them this time around. The Thrilling 63 from last night almost felt like a consolation prize for getting shut out on the others.

The Thrilling 70 in 9.4 (with a big gnarly red grease pencil arrival date on the FC) that sold for a whopping $1,800 didn't seem like a weak price to me. Neither did the Exciting 65 Okajima that went for $2,400. Nor the Exciting # 52 9.0 (non war, non-airbrush cover) that went for $1,550, or 2.5X Guide. There didn't seem to be a sub-par result from either the Comiclink or Heritage auctions to speak of. (shrug)

Thrilling Comics 63 CGC 9.2 File Copy

lf.jpg

Seems to me the book would have fetched a few hundred dollars more (at least) if it were in the Signature auction but I guess the heavy hitters were taking the night off, or perhaps didn't expect it to show up in the weekly auction. Either way, :takeit:

I've felt a slight cooling in the Nedor titles in the last couple of auctions. It seems to me that some of the people who have been very active have taken a break.

I'm not sure if this is a tongue-in-cheek comment or just a difference in persepctive Jeff. All my bids (which, while not tippy top of the market, weren't lowballs either) were handily outdone on every Nedor Schomburg that I wanted, and there was a good half-dozen of them this time around. The Thrilling 63 from last night almost felt like a consolation prize for getting shut out on the others.

The Thrilling 70 in 9.4 (with a big gnarly red grease pencil arrival date on the FC) that sold for a whopping $1,800 didn't seem like a weak price to me. Neither did the Exciting 65 Okajima that went for $2,400. Nor the Exciting # 52 9.0 (non war, non-airbrush cover) that went for $1,550, or 2.5X Guide. There didn't seem to be a sub-par result from either the Comiclink or Heritage auctions to speak of. (shrug)

I didn't bid on the 70 or 65 but was probably responsible for the #52. I thought the red grease pencil on the 70 was particularly horrendous. It ruined an otherwise pretty book.

yankee1-1.jpg

How close are you to having a full Chesler library Billy boy??

complete, but i don't collect the feature funnies and star/star ranger books as they are centaurs to me. this one frees up my windy city copy of yankee 1, which is high-grade, but slightly restored. once i track down a windy city replacement, i'll put my old yankee 1 f.s. on the boards.

yankee1-1.jpg

How close are you to having a full Chesler library Billy boy??

complete, but i don't collect the feature funnies and star/star ranger books as they are centaurs to me. this one frees up my windy city copy of yankee 1, which is high-grade, but slightly restored. once i track down a windy city replacement, i'll put my old yankee 1 f.s. on the boards.

So what will be the next quest? Oddball #1s? Terry Toons? Lots of fun stuff out there waiting on you :)

love this one.

ww14.jpg

Yikes!!! This is too nice!! You should really just sell it to me (thumbs u

I'm betting this is the Allentown copy I saw 12 years ago.

I thought pretty hard about going after this one but ended up spending too much before it ever came around. Beautiful book, BP.

love this one.

ww14.jpg

i'm wishing that was on the label!

love this one.

ww14.jpg

i'm wishing that was on the label!

Congrats on a great book Geek (thumbs u

So what will be the next quest? Oddball #1s? Terry Toons? Lots of fun stuff out there waiting on you :)

will be looking to upgrade timely and fox books, and still have some books on my sig line. strongly considering d.c. gorilla covers and supe v. flash race covers.