• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

Amazing-Man21.jpg

I've looked at this book 8 or 9 times over the last three days and still am not sure what to say about it.

Thoughts range from "Are you sure this is real?" to random curses due to the knowledge that I'll never own

anything even coming close to this. Anyhow, once I get past the shock and jelousy all I can say is:

That is one damn strong comic book!

It's actually a more impressive comic in person. In that scan the blacks appear a bit cloudy but the they are solid and shiny and make the whites and light blues really "pop." It's a heck of a copy that looks it just came off the newstand.

Congratulations! Nothing like adding some fabulous Jimmy Thompson art and story!

This one has been beat to heck and back again, but I'm thrilled with it. A grail now off the list for under $15 shipped :cloud9:

Feature%252520Book%25252016%252520fc.jpg

Amazing-Man21.jpg

I've looked at this book 8 or 9 times over the last three days and still am not sure what to say about it.

Thoughts range from "Are you sure this is real?" to random curses due to the knowledge that I'll never own

anything even coming close to this. Anyhow, once I get past the shock and jelousy all I can say is:

That is one damn strong comic book!

It's actually a more impressive comic in person. In that scan the blacks appear a bit cloudy but the they are solid and shiny and make the whites and light blues really "pop." It's a heck of a copy that looks it just came off the newstand.

You are right on that. The slab is a little scuffed, when combined with the thick slab, makes the scan a little hazy.

It's not a title I've collected but when I saw the book, it just looked too nice to pass up.

The cover artist is Louis Glanzman, the older brother of Sam Glanzman. He's still alive and, if your girls are familiar with the Pippi Longstocking books, he was the illustrator.

http://www.louisglanzman.com/

Interview

http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.com/2009/11/louis-glanzman-i-got-my-art-training-in.html

Looks like his comic book work was mostly 1940-41

He stopped pretty early on after his work at Centaur.

Check out his entry in the Who's Who -

+LEW'>Lew Glanzman

When Joe Simon died, people were wondering who is left and his name came to mind.

I contacted Glanzman a few years ago and while he was flattered that I had expressed admiration for his Golden Age work, it was obvious that he had absolutely no desire to discuss or revisit that era.

A remarkable individual the more I learned about him... very glad he is still with us.

6559556203_50c4dbcd82_z.jpg6559430153_52253f21c6.jpg

I noticed that Archie was trying to distill a little alcohol on the cover.

Unfortunately the condenser isn't hooked up correctly. I suspect temperature control is needed too but I am not an organic chemist.

We usually get our lab alcohol as 200 proof.

Unfortunately the condenser isn't hooked up correctly. I suspect temperature control is needed too but I am not an organic chemist.

That's so funny that you pinned that down.... So what is wrong with the way the condenser is hooked up?

That's so funny that you pinned that down.... So what is wrong with the way the condenser is hooked up?

The condenser should cool the ethanol in the gas phase back to the liquid form and the condenser should have a continuous flow of water attached to it to obtain the cooling effect. The small erlenmeyer flask attached to the condenser cooling jacket would fill up very quickly. The second erlenmeyer flask attached at the end of the condenser is for collecting the distillate. Since it has C2H5OH written on it, which is the chemical formula for ethyl alcohol, I guess that is what they are trying to collect.

Edited by BB-Gun

The condenser should cool the ethanol in the gas phase back to the liquid form and the condenser should have a continuous flow of water attached to it to obtain the cooling effect. The small erlenmeyer flask attached to the condenser cooling jacket would fill up very quickly. The second erlenmeyer flask attached at the end of the condenser is for collecting the distillate. Since it has C2H5OH written on it, which is the chemical formula for ethyl alcohol, I guess that is what they are trying to collect.

I love this analysis.... I will never look at this comic cover the same again.

I love this analysis.... I will never look at this comic cover the same again.

And the girl in red has great legs...

Edited by BB-Gun