• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

I met Jon Verzyl for the first time in Chicago. I know all the stories, but I loved hearing them from him. Of course he was trying to sell me a comic or 2 from his Mile High Zip run. I was more interested in his MH Terrific #5, not that I had a snowball's chance of ever getting it.

I met Jon Verzyl for the first time in Chicago. I know all the stories, but I loved hearing them from him. Of course he was trying to sell me a comic or 2 from his Mile High Zip run. I was more interested in his MH Terrific #5, not that I had a snowball's chance of ever getting it.

Hi Ron. Does he have this stuff on a web site somewhere?

As far as I know, John doesn't show comics on the web site, and it is outdated in terms of content. I know he has nearly all of his comics scanned, however. He might provide you with a list, but he usually asks what books you have interest in and either has them in inventory, or may he find them from others. He's tough to get in touch with.

I think a text message is the best way to get in touch with John. A phone call is next. Don't bother with the emails unless you tell him one is coming in a text.

He's got scans of a lot of stuff and can get scans pretty quickly of other things. Best is to let him know what you collect and what grade range/pedigree you might be looking for. He is pretty good at pulling things out of the air and engineering trades to get you what you are looking for.

He's also a by-the-guide/multiples-of-guide kinda guy and GPA doesn't affect him too much.

As far as I know, John doesn't show comics on the web site, and it is outdated in terms of content. I know he has nearly all of his comics scanned, however. He might provide you with a list, but he usually asks what books you have interest in and either has them in inventory, or may he find them from others. He's tough to get in touch with.

I think you nailed it! John's business model seems to be developing long term relationships with returning customers. His knowledge of comics is extensive, his inventory is deep and he bargains fairly.

Folks have noted his seemingly endless gift for gab, but how do you fault someone who loves to talk comics for hours on end in an enthusiastic, convivial manner. (shrug)

Here's a sample of John being interviewed at ComicCon in 2010 (sounds like a pretty darn good spokesman for the hobby):

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/he3xdm/comic-con-comic-con-2010-the-60-000-comic

Hi Michael,

Jon has a 5 page ad in this year's OSPG. There's contact info there. He's going to be set up in New York this year and he's always at Chicago. Believe me, once he starts talking he won't let you go. His prices for 9.6 Zips are 5x Guide, and 9.8's are 8X I think. There's no GPA on most of his books, so why bother.

The price on the Terrific in 9.4 is $50,000. I'm sure he still has it.

C-mack, I'd like to add my well deserved thanks to your employer, Mr Bedrock! :headbang:

The tall gentlemanly geek from south Texas provided four awesome additions to the Merryweather collection last week!

Two of those four were long sought after grails to boot! :whee:

The first is the stunning Recil Macon copy of Daring Mystery #8 in the Timely thread! The second is, well, this...

img_Hit18_193-1.jpg

Reed Crandall's finest GA cover; the height perspective is so realistic that it makes me dizzy. :sick:

All I can add is ...Thanks, Bro! :cloud9:

Hi Michael,

Jon has a 5 page ad in this year's OSPG. There's contact info there. He's going to be set up in New York this year and he's always at Chicago. Believe me, once he starts talking he won't let you go. His prices for 9.6 Zips are 5x Guide, and 9.8's are 8X I think. There's no GPA on most of his books, so why bother.

Thanks for the advice Ron, Jeff, Cat. There is till one grail that has eluded me for too many years and I may well give him a call to see if he can locate one for me. (I'll make sure the call is at the weekend when international rates are cheapest, that way he can talk at me as much as he likes! Sounds really very entertaining actually!)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the advice Ron, Jeff, Cat. There is till one grail that has eluded me for too many years and I may well give him a call to see if he can locate one for me. (I'll make sure the call is at the weekend when international rates are cheapest, that way he can talk at me as much as he likes! Sounds really very entertaining actually!)

I'll be seeing John again in about three weeks. If you'd like, send me a PM and I'll convey your request to him personally.

It's up to you, but he is really tough to get hold of by phone. (thumbs u

I posted a few books in Comics General but figured I'd post this one in the GA section too. Just got this one in..

Pep22CGC65.jpg

Holy shlt!!! :o I somehow missed this when Adam first posted it. This book is playing is some rarified air (worship)

I posted a few books in Comics General but figured I'd post this one in the GA section too. Just got this one in..

Pep22CGC65.jpg

Holy shlt!!! :o I somehow missed this when Adam first posted it. This book is playing is some rarified air (worship)

+1 (worship)