• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,441 posts in this topic

8135542467_93f3b93300_z.jpg

The Gerber guide says Captain Battle 4 and 5 have a scarcity index of 8. I seem to have found two of issue 5 but only coverless 1 and 2.

Here are the 1, 2, 3 and 5, My belief is that there is NO #4. Note that issue #3 was produced by Chesler and his work horse, Gus Ricca. (The #2 is the Rockford and #5 is the Pennsylvania cop).....#2 is a wonderful Binder cover........jb

Who did the art for issue 3? NIce cover Jon. Do you have any original art from Silver Streak?

The Gerber guide says Captain Battle 4 and 5 have a scarcity index of 8. I seem to have found two of issue 5 but only coverless 1 and 2.

Here are the 1, 2, 3 and 5, My belief is that there is NO #4. Note that issue #3 was produced by Chesler and his work horse, Gus Ricca. (The #2 is the Rockford and #5 is the Pennsylvania cop).....#2 is a wonderful Binder cover........jb

Who did the art for issue 3? NIce cover Jon. Do you have any original art from Silver Streak?

Sadly, I do not. There is that gorgeous colored splash out there by Cole. And I do have the CC Beck cover recreation for SS. BUT I do have a run of SS in fairly high grade.

Obtaining the cover for #3 is like a lot of collecting in the old days,,,,right spot, right time...jon

131465.jpg.75cad786711b433647f3d2dc1ae070d7.jpg

Sadly, I do not. There is that gorgeous colored splash out there by Cole. And I do have the CC Beck cover recreation for SS. BUT I do have a run of SS in fairly high grade.

Obtaining the cover for #3 is like a lot of collecting in the old days,,,,right spot, right time...jon

Jon, Glad to see you survived the Fire and Water that hit the east coast. I was worried about your collection (and you) when I heard of all the problems around NY, NJ and Conn. I hope your commute isn't a bigger nightmare.

[font:Times New Roman]That's beautiful. I'm still trying to locate and reacquire my old Mile High copies of SS #7 & 8 that I regrettably let go in the early 90's. That's a really nice run to have in any grade.

Of the many Beck cover recreations, that homage to Cole's SS#8 really stands out. It's truly drool-worthy awesome, Jon. [/font] (worship)

Just posted this in the pre-code section but thought I may as well post it here too... Not as big as some of the books Im seeing posted lately, but I'm super excited to have found this copy and in this condition.

FE2CC136-995F-433F-9459-8BEC3B832651-9423-00000510C9CA1CE7.jpg

Edited by Twistty1

Went to an estate auction yesterday. There really was only one comic lot included, and it was nearly the last item offered. I sat there for 8 hours waiting on it to come up. There were some other books and linen backed children's books in the lot as well.

When the auction first started there were over 100 people in attendance. Near the end, there were only about 25 people left. Confidence was high that I could win the lot cheaply.

I was wrong. One other bidder in the room ran me up, then some guy on the phone bid like a man possessed.

So, I way overpaid for the two comics in the lot. But I wasn't going to lose after a 3 hour round trip drive and an 8 hour wait.

I did manage to pick up some very nice antiques cheaply for my wife, so she forgave me for overspending on the comics.

First one:

kingcomics26_zpsd8086a79.jpg

The one I went down there for. This is a book I've long wanted a copy of, and to get an original owner copy was even cooler. So, overpaying by a ton or not, I'm happy. It actually looks much nicer in hand. My scanner is brutal on white covers. The staining isn't nearly as bad as the scan suggests.

famousfunniescarnivalofcomics_zpsd469d4c4.jpg

Went to an estate auction yesterday. There really was only one comic lot included, and it was nearly the last item offered. I sat there for 8 hours waiting on it to come up. There were some other books and linen backed children's books in the lot as well.

When the auction first started there were over 100 people in attendance. Near the end, there were only about 25 people left. Confidence was high that I could win the lot cheaply.

I was wrong. One other bidder in the room ran me up, then some guy on the phone bid like a man possessed.

So, I way overpaid for the two comics in the lot. But I wasn't going to lose after a 3 hour round trip drive and an 8 hour wait.

I did manage to pick up some very nice antiques cheaply for my wife, so she forgave me for overspending on the comics.

First one:

The one I went down there for. This is a book I've long wanted a copy of, and to get an original owner copy was even cooler. So, overpaying by a ton or not, I'm happy. It actually looks much nicer in hand. My scanner is brutal on white covers. The staining isn't nearly as bad as the scan suggests.

.....wow, Bill....what a score. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

First one:

.....wow, Bill....what a score. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Congratulations Bill. Two rare and important books. (thumbs u

Won this tonight on the Bay. One step closer to completing the Silver Streak run!

ss3.jpg

just love ss 3. I saw those books tonite, and gave some thought to an upgrade of 8, but it went crazy. nice pick-up, sir.

Won this tonight on the Bay. One step closer to completing the Silver Streak run!

ss3.jpg

just love ss 3. I saw those books tonite, and gave some thought to an upgrade of 8, but it went crazy. nice pick-up, sir.

[font:Times New Roman]Yeah, I was an underbidder on #8. :juggle:

My compliments to Numspar on a great pick-up![/font] :applause: