• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Got this one back from CGC today. Intersting census data

Only 6 higher graded copies. 2 purple and 4 blue. Only 20 total graded copies

PepComics1CGC_zpsb40bcf08.jpg

What a great book that is!

It came out quite a bit before Captain America #1, and isn't very plentiful in my experience. Also, Cap's shield for issue #1 looks to be modeled after the costume of The Shield. Stripes are a different color pattern, and Cap had a few more stars across the top, but the shape is a dead ringer

[font:Times New Roman]Cap's shield had three stars across the top and alternating red, white & blue bars, but MLJ's attorneys apparently convinced publisher Goodman and editor Simon that the design was just a leeeeettle too similar.[/font] lol

captain_america_comics_1___baa_by_kai_s-d3bwk4i.jpg

Edited by DavidMerryweather

lol Thanks, Michael.

It was pretty satisfying to open the box when these came in. I've no idea where the other early Church Jumbos are,

SDConGeekfestGroup-1.jpg

Great looking books. I knew this but had mis-filed it in my brain. I'm reasonable sure I know who has the Church #9, too. Richard and Billy (or maybe it was Bill), gave me a name and I eventually got in touch with him. He didn't really answer my question.

I guess that means I don't know where the Church 10, 11, 12, 13, and then 20-whatever are.

This one also arrived from CGC today.

Census data: 49 total copies graded. However, only 3 blue of a higher grade. 2 at 6.5 and 1 at 8.5. Counting purple, there are 12 higher graded copies.

DetectiveComics35CGC_zps4fbde953.jpg

What a great book!

Jumbo16CGC98_zps925f6cdd.jpg

Oh my :o:o:o:o (that's me, Billy, Russ & Ricky)!!!

You sound like a '60's pop group!

Well .... Ricky and I both play some guitar, Russ plays drums and Billy plays a mean cowbell :headbang:

I was thinking of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch - before your time young man!

Well .... Ricky and I both play some guitar, Russ plays drums and Billy plays a mean cowbell :headbang:

I was thinking of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch - before your time young man!

:roflmao: [font:Times New Roman]Alas, not before mine.

I was tempted to upload a YouTube video. "Bend it, bend it, just a little bit..."[/font]

i'm dating myself, but i recall dino, desi and billy from way back---celebrity kids' band, at least the first two were.