• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

adventure67.jpg

That is one awesome colorful book and such a nice run you have going!

Fantastic book! The Shining Knight (worship)

Thanks guys. I think it may be my favorite of the Starman covers. I owned the MH 67 years ago in the days before CGC. It was absolutely stunning. It is now graded a 9.8. The cover on that copy looks three dimensional.

adventure67.jpg

That is one awesome colorful book and such a nice run you have going!

Fantastic book! The Shining Knight (worship)

Thanks guys. I think it may be my favorite of the Starman covers. I owned the MH 67 years ago in the days before CGC. It was absolutely stunning. It is now graded a 9.8. The cover on that copy looks three dimensional.

LOVE that cover.

And I pulled this one off Dave Kapelka's shelf raw in Cincinnati. Kinda surprised at the grade given the damage around the staple but it narrows me down to just two more issue to be in the rarefied are of collectors with complete runs of Li'l Abner.

LilAbner62804x1280_zps15676477.jpg

Got this baby in trade :banana:

991fab1928d78a177c82677c2dce7071_zpsb8728801.jpg

I am envious: this has been published only partially in the USA, but it is one of the most important italian science-fiction stories of the 1930s-1940s. Would love to find a lowgrade copy for cheap.

BTW, the Chicken-headed villains are martians, and to see how this story have been culturally important in Italy, just google "Saturno contro la Terra"

Thanks Bill – the cover is so-so, but I got fixated on it because I wished to have the inside story, by L.B. Cole (image courtesy of the DCM). :)

I think in terms of story this is WAY better than the sought after "Futuro Takes Hitler to Hell": here in some way there is an identification between Hitler and the Devil.

iWB5PaUh.jpg

In time for Christmas I finally got a decently priced Four Favorites #12 (have been looking for it for almost two years): :)

kqFzlenh.jpg

Congrats! As an LB Cole fan I knew he did interiors of this book and I've seen that double-page splash before. Color me jealous! That's a tough book in excellent shape! Well done sir!

Thanks pmpknface – I am sure you have a book I am looking for as well, but don’t remember which one. :)

I am not strictly a L.B. Cole fan, but this story is something, and it struck me for its originality when I extended my wartime research to GA comic books. It is indeed tough to score a nice copy at a good price, or a copy in general, this one was graded as a F- by Ted at Superworld. It has a pair of cover tears and two centerfolds detached, but otherwise is in excellent shape and I am just glad with it!

Well, you "may" be referring to my 4 Favorites #13. By my estimation it's LB's first credited cover. I've only seen a few of those since I discovered it but one did just sell on ebay a few months ago so they do turn up.

That sounds like a decent grade, and Ted does a good job at that. A tad beat but complete and displays extremely well! Ya done good! ;)

No, I am sure it was another book. I am mostly into Charles Biro stuff, and particular wartime superhero stories, so I ended up with a Four Favorites #8 and #16 for their unusual Unknown Soldier stories, but I don’t crave the title particularly.

Ah, I have a #4 (with detached cover) but I am going to sell it later on.

It might have been either a Boy Comics, or a Daredevil Comics, or a Steel Sterling book. Or some MLJ or Timely I can’t afford… lol

Thanks Bill – the cover is so-so, but I got fixated on it because I wished to have the inside story, by L.B. Cole (image courtesy of the DCM). :)

I think in terms of story this is WAY better than the sought after "Futuro Takes Hitler to Hell": here in some way there is an identification between Hitler and the Devil.

iWB5PaUh.jpg

Wonderful panel in that one. Is that a Ferstadt cover?

With the Nazis vanquished the superheroes are stuck with fighting the evil scientist :insane:with their death rays

and their minions, the Zombies. Things haven't changed too much since the golden age as seen in this page from Speed.

11633160904_f16073161a_c.jpg