• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

What's the story with Peter Pat?

He looks like Superbaby. Does he have some kind of extraordinary powers?

(Congrats on the double cover.)

It's more than a little hard to explain, but imagine if Henry Darger had done a comic strip. And even odder is that the strip was canceled by the time this (his only cover appearance) was published.

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20A.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20B.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20C.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20E.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20F.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20G.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20H.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20I.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20K.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20M.JPG

Yes Cornell Woolrich was a ground breaker. As I sit here typing I'm looking up at my original movie poster insert for The Window, a great image of the boy hanging from a fire escape while through the window he sees a man threatening a woman with a cleaver while she hides a pair of scissors behind her.

One of these days I'll afford a Rear Window poster. Love that movie.

I have a half-sheet for Rear Window.

I never heard of The Window. Maybe I can watch it on Netflix.

Rear Window is probably my favourite Hitchcock movie. I've been looking for a nice 1 sheet. I have a nice vertigo 1 sheet framed on my wall. Big fan of Saul Bass.

'notorious' for me.

VERTIGO! : (thumbs u (but Notorious is great)

I remember as a schoolboy trying to get in to see Psycho but not getting away with it. Had to wait years for that shower scene. But my fave Hitchcock is The 39 Steps with Robert Donat from 1939. The best scene is the long tracking shot from Notorious, which swoops down a ballroom staricase and finishes up in tight focus on a key in Ingrid Bergman's hand.

Question. Anybody know what a "maguffin" is?

It's more than a little hard to explain, but imagine if Henry Darger had done a comic strip.

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20A.JPG

SS%2008%20Peter%20Pat%20C.JPG

Thanks so much for taking the time to take those photos!!!

I had no idea that strip was so cool. I love it.

Coincidentally, last night I was wondering if Netflix had In the Realms of the Unreal available for viewing via their Internet streaming feature because I wanted to recommend it to someone.

kind of like the 'McCoy' (the real vs the phony) the maguffin is the real reason for something other than the purported reason- in a mystery setting extends to the clue that ties it all together (all off top of head rather than web query)

Hitchcock used the term to describe the dramatic device used in a given film/scene that provided the focus for all the tension.

The key in "Notorious".

In "Suspicion" it is a glass of milk Cary Grant carries up the stairs to his wife Joan Fontaine, who is unsure if he is going to kill her or not. Hitchcock has the lighting so that the glass is constantly illuminated as he zooms slowly in on it. Cary Grant has never seemed more sinister!

kind of like the 'McCoy' (the real vs the phony) the maguffin is the real reason for something other than the purported reason- in a mystery setting extends to the clue that ties it all together (all off top of head rather than web query)

Hitchcock used the term to describe the dramatic device used in a given film/scene that provided the focus for all the tension.

The key in "Notorious".

In "Suspicion" it is a glass of milk Cary Grant carries up the stairs to his wife Joan Fontaine, who is unsure if he is going to kill her or not. Hitchcock has the lighting so that the glass is constantly illuminated as he zooms slowly in on it. Cary Grant has never seemed more sinister!

Two men are on a train. One man says "What's that package up there in the baggage rack?", and the other answers "Oh that's a McGuffin". The first one asks "What's a McGuffin?". "Well", the other man says, "It's an apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands". The first man says "But there are no lions in the Scottish Highlands", and the other one answers "Well, then that's no McGuffin!".

not very hi-grade, i know, but i was won over by pq and nice price. great raboy cover.

ibis1.jpg

Attaboy Geek! I'm glad to see you finally saw the light and picked up a copy of a great book. Looks very similar to my copy.

ibis1.jpg

Now free yours from its prison. It's almost embarrassing to keep a 3.0 in a slab. Perfect book to read, smell, and enjoy raw

The key in "Notorious".

Two men are on a train. One man says "What's that package up there in the baggage rack?", and the other answers "Oh that's a McGuffin". The first one asks "What's a McGuffin?". "Well", the other man says, "It's an apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands". The first man says "But there are no lions in the Scottish Highlands", and the other one answers "Well, then that's no McGuffin!".

The Maguffin is the phony motivation that sets the characters into motion. In Notorious, I would say it was the wine bottle filled with uranium that sets the whole plot into action. It creates the suspense. But really that movie is about the love triangle between Grant, Bergman and Claude Raines (who won an Oscar for his role and deservedly so).

The key in "Notorious".

The Maguffin is the phony motivation that sets the characters into motion. In Notorious, I would say it was the wine bottle filled with uranium that sets the whole plot into action. It creates the suspense. But really that movie is about the love triangle between Grant, Bergman and Claude Raines (who won an Oscar for his role and deservedly so).

he never won an oscar. that year he lost to the guy with no arms in the best years of our lives.

The key in "Notorious".

he never won an oscar. that year he lost to the guy with no arms in the best years of our lives.

You're right of course. Nobody remembers the winner's name, but everybody remembers Claude Raines who had an incredible career.

Edited by comixnoir

Like Billy with the Worlds of Fear, Doc Savage is not a title I've ever considered collecting until I came across this wonderful cover recently on Ebay:

DocSavageV16.jpg

Almost, almost pm'd Billy to let him know it ws there as I knew he was collecting them, then thought, what the heck, love the cover, never seen it before, let's take a look inside. And I was pleasantly surprised by what I found, which I thought I'd share:

docsavage1.jpg

...with apologies for the camera shake!

docsavage.jpg

Edited by alanna

Had a good time at a micro-mini-geekfest here in Philly today. Todd (RedFury) came over and brought with him a box of killer slabbed GA, and a cooler loaded with beer. We ate pizza and geeked out on each others books. A good time was had by all

:)

p1010003-5.jpg

Had a good time at a micro-mini-geekfest here in Philly today. Todd (RedFury) came over and brought with him a box of killer slabbed GA, and a cooler loaded with beer. We ate pizza and geeked out on each others books. A good time was had by all

:)

p1010003-5.jpg

Bill, thanks for inviting me over and hosting an awesome comic-beer-pizza geekfest! I'm looking forward to many more such days!