• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the first time, I am going to be a deadbeat and I don't care !

104 posts in this topic

I have a situtation here that on the outside looks like a clear cut "sale" , but read on and tell me what you all think. I saw an auction for a book that had a BIN for $250.00- As I was at work and saw the auction, in my excitement I went to pop the BIN and before I could confirm it, then computer went blank....and I wasn't even sure if it went thru. So, i rebotted the computer, then i saw that the book was actually a "Qualified" book, and I felt terrible. I would never have bought it. So I IMMEDIALTY sent the seller an email...copy is below :

Hi, I did the BIN on this auction, and before I could confirm it, the system at work froze and the book was sold. But I later realized that the book was Qualified. I apoligize for the error and would be willing to pay any and all fees related to listing and relisting the book.- I apoligize for the inconvience and error. ---

THAT'S exactly how I emailed him. I don't know this guy and I am trying to correct an error on my part. -

So, then I get this email :

I`m sorry but there is NO such thing as a "bid cancellation" in a BUY

IT NOW auction ! You entered into a binding legal agreement when you

confirmed your bid/purchase and are obligated to follow through and pay

me, the seller, for the item !! The rules of Ebay AND contract law are

quite clear on this ! (Both the green CGC holder scan and the long

description were QUITE clear as to the "Qualified" CGC status !)

Please advise ! hsb32

I was floored. Not just by his insistence that I pay for the book, but his arrogance, caustic, and general rudeness. So, I emailed him back and told him i WAS NOT going to pay for the book and that was that....Looking at one's feedback, taking into account that I emailed him immediately to offer reinbursment for fees and trying to make ammends....and this 893censored-thumb.gif is going to blast me as some sort of smuck ?!!! -

Ok, I am sure I am opening myself up to all kinds of verbal abuse ...but, I am asking for it ! confused-smiley-013.gif

I have a situtation here that on the outside looks like a clear cut "sale" , but read on and tell me what you all think. I saw an auction for a book that had a BIN for $250.00- As I was at work and saw the auction, in my excitement I went to pop the BIN and before I could confirm it, then computer went blank....and I wasn't even sure if it went thru. So, i rebotted the computer, then i saw that the book was actually a "Qualified" book, and I felt terrible. I would never have bought it. So I IMMEDIALTY sent the seller an email...copy is below :

Hi, I did the BIN on this auction, and before I could confirm it, the system at work froze and the book was sold. But I later realized that the book was Qualified. I apoligize for the error and would be willing to pay any and all fees related to listing and relisting the book.- I apoligize for the inconvience and error. ---

THAT'S exactly how I emailed him. I don't know this guy and I am trying to correct an error on my part. -

Please advise ! hsb32

I was floored. Not just by his insistence that I pay for the book, but his arrogance, caustic, and general rudeness. So, I emailed him back and told him i WAS NOT going to pay for the book and that was that....Looking at one's feedback, taking into account that I emailed him immediately to offer reinbursment for fees and trying to make ammends....and this 893censored-thumb.gif is going to blast me as some sort of smuck ?!!! -

Ok, I am sure I am opening myself up to all kinds of verbal abuse ...but, I am asking for it ! confused-smiley-013.gif

F him! what's he going to do? call the cops? Oh no! he could leave negative feedback! leave it for him if he does...I would!

To be fair.

You should have read the description better.

just because you did not read the description properly and did not mean to buy it after the fact does not mean you are not bound to buy once you hit the BIN.

Sad to say but I think you are stuck.

I dont see any rudeness though

Relisting an item, especially a qualified item, always scares people off. You've just reduced the item's salability markedly if the guy were to have to relist it. What do you expect him to do? What would you think if you were in his place? Why should he have to bear the burden of your mistake?

Sorry....but you did bid on the item. It's your mistake not the seller's. The seller has every right to see the sale through. Things happen but at the end of the day you won the guy's auction. Look at it from the other point of view. If one of the sellers was a Forum member and told that story, everyone here would be doubting and slamming the buyer.

I say your out of luck and should pony up the money.....

Jim

Please advise ! hsb32

The only one who is being arrogant, caustic and rude here is you. mad.gif You bought the item. Now sack up and pay for it.

Mike called me this morning and told me about what happened,He even tried to refund any $$ that the seller may have lost to ebay fees,and the seller started in with legal talk...now give me a break,the seller most likely knew no one wants this POS book,Mistakes happen, I know I wouldn't pay for it.It's like hitting a BIN for a book that's restored,It is CGCFan's fault,but I can't see wasting $$ on it,only to eat the book. Ebay doesn't care about bidder's,only seller's cause that is how ebay makes money. kevin

My observations...

[*]You did a no-no..

[*]The auction clearly stated "Qualified"

[*]You did enter in a contract with BIN

[*]He is a fairly new seller

[*]Keep talking to him...you guys should be able to negotiate an agreement.

[*]You may get a neg but you should not neg him

[*]The book is still nice with only the centerfold detached

JMO...based on THIS being the auction in question... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree. You should pay for the book.

You were wrong to bid on the book without reading and looking at the picture.

It's not like he was trying to scam because everything is spelled out...In Green and White.

makepoint.gif

I think you should pay for the book to. Your computer freezing and you having to reboot doesn't really have anything to do with it either. It froze while you hit the buy it now. It didn't freeze while you were reading the description and for some miraculous reason the computer hit buy it now for you. You hit it and should pay for it if the seller isn't willing to accept your offer.

That seems like a stupid question.......Yes I have paid for every single auction that I've bid upon. If cgcfan doesn't pay then he's no better than all the other deadbeats on eBay. Not company I'd rather be associated with.

Jim

I don't know why you guys are replying with " you should pay for it"...I don't think he is going to,besides...have any of you paid for every single auction you have won? Kevin

Yeah...screw the guy! Damn seller backed out of a deal on me a few years ago when I agreed to buy a book but the new guide came out a few days afterwards and he wanted to jack up the price even though the new guide price was idiotic!

Damn...fool tried to sell me the book a year later at our initial price!

BTW...yes, I have paid for every auction that I have won! tongue.gif

I too have paid for every auction I've won.

Insert Chris Rock standup: "You're SUPPOSED to pay for every auction you've won!"

(You guys remember the routine..."..always bragging about things you're supposed to do. I pay my bills....You're supposed to pay your bills!...I ain't ever been in jail...You're not SUPPOSED to go to jail!)

I too have paid for every auction I ever won. Even ones that I didn't mean to bid on, hoping someone would outbid me. Of course noone outbid me and I ended up paying for the book.

I too have paid for every auction I ever won. Even ones that I didn't mean to bid on, hoping someone would outbid me. Of course noone outbid me and I ended up paying for the book.

Sigh...tell me about it. Used to play with bidding way too much. Then...I learned to snipe!

BTW...talk to Bonds25 about some of his recent wins! frown.gif

First, I have paid for every auction I have won.

Here's what you do.

1) Tell the seller you are going to send him $25 as a 10% restocking fee but you don't want the book.

2) If he gives you a Neg, take it like a man. You can response to Neg, but I would not Neg him back, because it was your fault. mad.gif

The reason I don't think you should buy the book is simply, HE NEVER SAID QUALIFIED IN THE TITLE. That's one of the problems with the BIN idea. The first to push the button, wins. In this case, the seller was trying to be smart by making the BIN and starting price the same (if I remember correctly). He was hoping someone would see a decent price and hit the BIN quickly. If he had been totally honest, he would have put the (Q) in the main title after the grade. He did not.

893frustrated.gif