• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the first time, I am going to be a deadbeat and I don't care !

104 posts in this topic

Pay for the book and then donate it to charity.

You get the tax writeoff.*

You save face with this newbie seller.

You learn a valuable lesson.

You can sleep well knowing you've done some good.

You gain an insurmountable lead in your race with gman to be a decent human being. cool.gif

*The donor of an item gets to deduct the full market value. The purchaser is only permitted a deduction for an amount paid exceeding the market value, and then only the amount of the excess.

The reason I don't think you should buy the book is simply, HE NEVER SAID QUALIFIED IN THE TITLE. That's one of the problems with the BIN idea. The first to push the button, wins. In this case, the seller was trying to be smart by making the BIN and starting price the same (if I remember correctly). He was hoping someone would see a decent price and hit the BIN quickly. If he had been totally honest, he would have put the (Q) in the main title after the grade. He did not.

893frustrated.gif

Exactly why you should READ the description before you bid.

Everything is there. Nothing to complain about. Title or not.

It looks as though greed took controll of the decision to read the description.

Tried to take advantage of the seller and gets screwed in return.

That book should have been way more than the BIN.

If the seller had sent an email after you won it and said that he made a mistake and put the BIN too low, would you let HIM out of the deal?

Think about THAT before you answer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I too have paid for every auction I've won.

Insert Chris Rock standup: "You're SUPPOSED to pay for every auction you've won!"

(You guys remember the routine..."..always bragging about things you're supposed to do. I pay my bills....You're supposed to pay your bills!...I ain't ever been in jail...You're not SUPPOSED to go to jail!)

I was LMFAO on that one. 27_laughing.gif

5 stars for the Chris Rock routine!

Something about the story doesn't make sense. You say the computer went blank before you had a chance to confirm it...I'm 99% sure that can't be true. I've been on that confirm screen hundreds of times, and if you don't click the button to confirm it, it doesn't complete the sale. Quite often I enter my buy-it-now price, then before I click confirm, I go and look through Overstreet, previous prices paid at GPA or ones I've saved myself, search the last month's history on E-Bay, etc, and once I'm sure, then I'll click confirm. If I decide against it, I close the browser.

Your computer locking up is the equivalent of me closing my browser. If you want to delve into the technical details of why your description of what happened doesn't sound possible, I'll oblige...but I'm pretty sure you did click the confirm button. The sequence of events that would have led to your computer somehow submitting the confirmation to e-bay without your intervention is an extremely remote possibility.

I too have paid for every auction I ever won. Even ones that I didn't mean to bid on, hoping someone would outbid me. Of course noone outbid me and I ended up paying for the book.

Same thing sorta happened to me recently. I get trying to buy some used game controllers. Wanted to get two of them. Would bid on one... wait... get outbid... bid on another. 893frustrated.gif Finally got tired of fooling around and bid on FOUR of them. Figured maybe I'd get one. Welllll... fortunately I only won three of the four! 893frustrated.gif

All items I won were paid for and received. Now we have a spare when a controller ever breaks!

Pay for the book and then donate it to charity.

You get the tax writeoff.*

You save face with this newbie seller.

You learn a valuable lesson.

You can sleep well knowing you've done some good.

You gain an insurmountable lead in your race with gman to be a decent human being. cool.gif

*The donor of an item gets to deduct the full market value. The purchaser is only permitted a deduction for an amount paid exceeding the market value, and then only the amount of the excess.

Hats off to you, Lighthouse! This is an excellent suggestion! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh, and I have paid for every auction won, as well...

-Joe

I don't know why you guys are replying with " you should pay for it"...I don't think he is going to,besides...have any of you paid for every single auction you have won? Kevin

Yes, I have. If you win auctions and don't pay for them you are a scumbag, an [!@#%^&^] and a cheat. I can't believe you're even putting this up as a justification.

I have paid for every auction I've won as well. Is there another way to approach it? tongue.gif

As well, in defence of cgcfan, I get really pissed off when a qualified or restored book isn't listed as such in the description. Ther is an ethical issue here for the seller - you can't tell me he didn't do this intentionally, and then list a juicy BIN. With eBay's new layout, the BIN is seen before the description, is it not?

I agree with that, diceX..... I've personally never been burned because I always read the description.

The seller has to be responsible for his auction listing, though. If the item wasn't listed as qualified, you've got yourself a misleading auction listing.

I agree with that, diceX..... I've personally never been burned because I always read the description.

The seller has to be responsible for his auction listing, though. If the item wasn't listed as qualified, you've got yourself a misleading auction listing.

Here's the link to the auction! Link to the Flash 175 auction 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, I am sure I am opening myself up to all kinds of verbal abuse ...but, I am asking for it

Since you are asking for it.....

Definitely do not pay for it, it is your right. In fact I am going to put in a last second $700 snipe bid on your Hopalong Cassidy 21 but I am not going to pay for it because I know I will re-gret buying it. I will regret buying it because you did not mention that it was manufactured with one staple. Of course you have a clear scan and it is obviously stated on the CGC case but the hell with you. Even though the time and effort you put into the auction cannot be recouped, I will of course reimburse you eBay fees . grin.gif

Were you feeling a little sadomasochistic when you entered this post? You had to know you were going to get hammered. confused-smiley-013.gif

No brainer: you bid, you buy, period.

The seller wasn't rude. He was about to be ripped off by you, and wanted to let you know he was unhappy with that. He didn't swear or call you names or act like a jerk.

Yes, I pay for what I win, even if I make a mistake.

Lighthouse's idea is the best one here: buy it, give it to Dam to sell for charity. Take the tax write-off and help the comic book industry at the same time.

-- Joanna

In fact I am going to put in a last second $700 snipe bid on your Hopalong Cassidy 21 but I am not going to pay for it because I know I will re-gret buying it. I will regret buying it because you did not mention that it was manufactured with one staple. Of course you have a clear scan and it is obviously stated on the CGC case but the hell with you. Even though the time and effort you put into the auction cannot be recouped, I will of course reimburse you eBay fees . grin.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif893Funny-thumb.gif

IMHO you should honour your BIN, what's funny is that when i read your post, i knew what comic you were talking about. gossip.gif

Damn book been relisted so many times! insane.gif

Something about the story doesn't make sense. You say the computer went blank before you had a chance to confirm it...I'm 99% sure that can't be true. I've been on that confirm screen hundreds of times, and if you don't click the button to confirm it, it doesn't complete the sale. Quite often I enter my buy-it-now price, then before I click confirm, I go and look through Overstreet, previous prices paid at GPA or ones I've saved myself, search the last month's history on E-Bay, etc, and once I'm sure, then I'll click confirm. If I decide against it, I close the browser.

Your computer locking up is the equivalent of me closing my browser. If you want to delve into the technical details of why your description of what happened doesn't sound possible, I'll oblige...but I'm pretty sure you did click the confirm button. The sequence of events that would have led to your computer somehow submitting the confirmation to e-bay without your intervention is an extremely remote possibility.

I really don't pretend to know the ins and outs of computers and you're probably correct that in my rush, that I did hit the BIN....but the computer defintley sort of "froze" and I had to close it down and restart it. And it was a computer at work , so I don't know what they use for a server and it's terrific....go on line and "bang" you jump all over the place.