• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the first time, I am going to be a deadbeat and I don't care !

104 posts in this topic

I really don't pretend to know the ins and outs of computers and you're probably correct that in my rush, that I did hit the BIN....but the computer defintley sort of "froze" and I had to close it down and restart it. And it was a computer at work , so I don't know what they use for a server and it's terrific....go on line and "bang" you jump all over the place.

sorry.gif

I can't believe this was even brought up.

You jumped at the chance to rip off the seller, but want everyone to feel sorry for you because you are the one that got ripped.

I don't get it. makepoint.gif

Just for the record... I have NOT paid for every item I won.

• In two cases sellers paid me off to not purchase the item because it went too cheap.
  • In one case I realized within seconds of placing the bid that I had bid on the wrong item. I purchased a different item from the same seller instead, who took no offense.
  • In one case I paid all eBay fees plus an extra $20 to back out of a sale that I didn't want an hour later. (I was bidding on a 9.4 and a 9.6 and won the 9.6 unexpectedly cheap. The 9.4 seller relisted his book and actually got more than what I had bid plus got my $20.)
  • And in seventeen cases I have not paid for auctions of "CGC 9.4 Amazing Fantasy 15", "Mint Action Comics 1", "One human kidney", "Three hours alone with my pet sheep", "One-week stay on the International Space Station - Airfare not included" and a few that I can't recall...

So lest you think our entire group is full of saints who pay for every auction, I give you myself, bonds25, and the poster formerly known as rickdogg... Model citizens all...

I don't know why you guys are replying with " you should pay for it"...I don't think he is going to,besides...have any of you paid for every single auction you have won? Kevin

Pay for it. I've paid for every item I've won on eBay even if it is a "mistake" - there are no mistakes, you thought you were getting a deal and were so excited that you couldn't wait to make sure your computer cleared up and bid on it again when all conditions were ideal. As for what can he do? I've had local police involved and getting compensation and I've personally tracked down some local NPB's ana "made them pay" - I think I've posted that experience for a NPB on and ASM 31 CGC I sold to some guy in Reston VA - he sent me a letter similar to yours. I found all that I could on the guy and with a little help and persevereance from those who could provide the info, I found out where he lived and his parents' address - all types of other "private" info about him. Eventually he paid. smile.gif Never know who you are screwing with at the other end. It doesn't matter who you perceive eBay is siding with, the seller or the buyer. one can argue for either side on any given day. But the whole thing about bidding on eBay as legally binding is for real and if the person is determined enough, they can call you on it.

I agree with that, diceX..... I've personally never been burned because I always read the description.

The seller has to be responsible for his auction listing, though. If the item wasn't listed as qualified, you've got yourself a misleading auction listing.

Here's the link to the auction! Link to the Flash 175 auction 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is still a gorgeous book and I'm sure with a little perseverance, one could EASILY fix that Qualified flaw wink.gif

The reason I don't think you should buy the book is simply, HE NEVER SAID QUALIFIED IN THE TITLE. That's one of the problems with the BIN idea. The first to push the button, wins. In this case, the seller was trying to be smart by making the BIN and starting price the same (if I remember correctly). He was hoping someone would see a decent price and hit the BIN quickly. If he had been totally honest, he would have put the (Q) in the main title after the grade. He did not.

893frustrated.gif

that's what i was going to post in mike's defense, but he's not going to pay for the auction anyways as he clearly stated. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sellers never put qualified or restored, or reprint in the title for any key CGC'd books, and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as there is full disclosure and a scan in the description. There is already limited 80 character space in the title - why use that space to post negative (or perceived negative) aspects of your items?

You offfered to cover listing fees, and promptly addressed the situation. You clearly did the right thing, but you (generally speaking) can't expect everyone to be as reasonable as you have been. There are some sellers out there that are quite simply dumber than a bag of rocks.

Not to turn this into a pee-ing contest, but a few years back, I may well have read an email from one of the most ruthless eBay sellers EVER. I was working at a tech firm, and I was the IT/Network admin. One of the workers in the company had passed-on during a camping trip in a tragic canoeing accident. It turned out that this person had an interest in comics, and had placed a bid for a comic (for the life of me now, I cannot recall if it was a spidey 1 or not).

While addressing a blocked email que on the exchange server, I noticed a few emails that had been sent to this individual who was deceased. Some of the angriest, and most threatening emails I had ever read. No joke. So I politely emailed the seller and explained that the buyer had passed-on. CAN YOU BELIEVE THE GUY WANTED A DEATH CERTIFICATE AS PROOF?!?!?!?!?! I don't remember if I responded or not, but I can tell you that I had never been so angry with any emails I had ever recieved as I had been with this sellers email. I vaguely recall him making a plea for any proof -- newspaper article, whatever. His rationale was that eBay wouldn't believe him. Right! Since when does eBay care about WHY a buyer doesn't complete a transaction?

I disagree that he shouldn't have to put Qualified in the Title.

He put Flash #175 NM (9.4)

That's exactly what CGC's label says except they add (9.4)(Q).

Just because other people don't do it, DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT.

How many times have I seen CGC NM, then you read the description and it's a NM-. That's a crock of !@#$%.

The seller was trying to pull a fast one.

Once you click the Title, he's got a huge description, and the first thing he say's is how hard it is to find the book in NM (and then says two are Qualified). THEN, he says HIS is Qualified.

I didn't like the auction when I saw it.

And what happens if someone did list a book with a BIN for $25, instead of $250. And you hit the BIN and the seller refuses to sell. The only thing you can do is give him a Neg. eBay's not going to go to his house and demand the book. You get screwed.

Still, the seller is due some compensation.

Oh, and I guess I was wrong. My fake ID, didn't pay for any books I won from Great_Comics or SecretWars9. Of course, they were selling books they didn't have so I guess we're even.

Here's the answer to this:

If CGCFAN had hit a BIN for a Spider-Man 6 CGC NM+ 9.4 that was listed at $2300, Overstreet Guide, and the buyer then emailed CGCFAN and said "I'm sorry, I can't do it for that price because I made a mistake on the BIN," what would all of we have said?

I'll tell you - we would have gone nuts, the same way we did on Ankur when he hosed CGCMINT on the Detective.

You bought it, you pay for it. There's NO DISCUSSION here. You can offer the guy anything you want - a restocking fee, whatever. But, if he says no, sack up and send the guy the $250.

Love that I get to block another deadbeat bidder from my auctions. mad.gif

Well my 2 cents its ultiimately up to CGCFan to pay or not but I do agree he should paid in full because the seller did say it was qualified in description. I do not think that sellers that do not list the qualified slab in title are trying to scam u. Buyers need to be precautious in buying everything and not be hasty in buying because it looks like a quick deal. If you cannot make payment because it was a error then some sort of resonable compensation that you two agree on should be worked out. I, as well as Lighthouse, do not mind getting a reasonable % payment of the auction amount for errors on the buyers side and still get to keep the book. Its better than risking getting kicked off eBay as a buyer for 3 reported non payments and a seller paying another $20.00 to Sqauretrade as a seller trying to get negatives removed which by the way takes 3 months to get them completely removed if approved.... 893frustrated.gif.

I disagree that he shouldn't have to put Qualified in the Title.

He put Flash #175 NM (9.4)

That's exactly what CGC's label says except they add (9.4)(Q).

Just because other people don't do it, DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT.

Even if it is Qualified or Restored or a reprint, it is STILL a CGC NM 9.4. Just because it is Qualified doesn't take away that FACT. THEREFORE listing it as a 9.4 in the title is FINE. He also makes full disclosure and includes a scan with a clearly green label in the description. I had no QUALMS whatsoever with what the seller did. I both buy and sell on eBay. I buy and bid AFTER I look carefully at the description. I TAKE MY TIME and don't let $$$ blind me to the fact that this deal is too good to be true. A quick trigger finger can make a happy flipper SOME OF THE TIME, but Patience makes a happy bidder EVERYTIME...

As a seller, I'm not going to waste valuable title space telling you whatm a POS I'm selling. I'll show you the item and be accurate in the description and let you decide whther or not to bid. It is not my problem if you don't take the time to read. Other bidders do, what prevents you from taking a little extra care in your bidding.

How many times have I seen CGC NM, then you read the description and it's a NM-. That's a crock of !@#$%.

The seller was trying to pull a fast one.

How is this relevant to cgcfan deciding to renege on his legally binding "contract" with the seller? I may agree with with your statement about "NM" BS but it still has nothing to do with CGCfan's reprehensible decision. You don't like how things are listed as "NM" by sellers, then don't bid on those sellers' items and go with sellers, like several forum members, who can grade and offer their goods up for great deals in the marketplace or on eBay. I don't agree that the seller was trying to pull a fast one. IT IS a NM 9.4 book according to CGC. I'm surprised that it got a QUALIFIED as well. My ASM 326 had a centerfold detached and it was knocked down to a 6.5 though the rest of the book was NM 9.4 calber. However, I read the auction DESCRIPTIOn and looked at the photo and I knew exactly what I was going to get if

I bid on it. Seller's descriptions to me take a lower priority to a high res scan of front and back nowadays, especially for that reason you stated. Unless I trust the seller or know them, or of them from a reliable source, I would not bid on their books unless I had a scan.

Once you click the Title, he's got a huge description, and the first thing he say's is how hard it is to find the book in NM (and then says two are Qualified). THEN, he says HIS is Qualified.

He is accurate and he is trying to promote his book. How can you fault him for this statement of fact, backed up with references from the CGC census? That book is hard to find in NM. I have only owned 2 of those books and both were reader copies. One was slightly better in FN condition.

I didn't like the auction when I saw it.

I didn't care for it either, probably why I wouldn't have hit the BIN after I read all that JAZZ

And what happens if someone did list a book with a BIN for $25, instead of $250. And you hit the BIN and the seller refuses to sell. The only thing you can do is give him a Neg. eBay's not going to go to his house and demand the book. You get screwed.

You follow eBay rules and report him and get the neg. If this person does business regularly through eBay or is his only means of revenue, then you are not the only one getting screwed. Have faith in the system, man - without it, there is only chaos (no not Khaos tongue.gif )

Still, the seller is due some compensation.

Yes I agree with you here. That would be the full BIN price plus shipping please... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh, and I guess I was wrong. My fake ID, didn't pay for any books I won from Great_Comics or SecretWars9. Of course, they were selling books they didn't have so I guess we're even.

What you do with your shill IDs I have no problem with wink.gif Just don't pop my auctions BIN cherries (If I ever find time to list again frown.gif )