• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know someone who has just inherited 1,500 comics

43 posts in this topic

Since most are probably not worth much money, I'd sell them in bulk on ebay. If they are bagged and boarded and have even just a few minor keys, some folks can get excited thinking that there might be some gems. Take digi pictures of 20 comics at a time and sell them as a lot. He'll get $600 for 1800 books which

...$3.00 a piece for 80's drek!!!,...c'mon,.... yeahok.gif

Ummm, $600 divided by 1,800 = $0.33 each.

(The old, "3 for a $1" estimate) confused-smiley-013.gif

ooops,..nevermind,...yeah,..that sounds about right,.... sorry.gif

27_laughing.gif

Since most are probably not worth much money, I'd sell them in bulk on ebay. If they are bagged and boarded and have even just a few minor keys, some folks can get excited thinking that there might be some gems. Take digi pictures of 20 comics at a time and sell them as a lot. He'll get $600 for 1800 books which

It's true - we arent as sharp as the coinees! 27_laughing.gif

Anyway, the problem with a novice using Overstreet is that the poor sap might think he can get at least cover price for all those issues. Frankly, he'd be better off insulating his attic with most of them.

I thought you were like the guy in matrix, how come you can't pull up a thread......my confidence is shaken..is this really happening?

But none of this really looked like the kind of comprehensive treatment that might be most helpful.

I was looking for a comics version of this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0#Post1408886

We're not as sharp as coinees . . . 27_laughing.gif

yeahok.gif

My suggestion Arch, is for him to pull all of the valuable books from the collection (Wolvie Limited #1, Dark Knight Returns #1 etc) and sell them them on ebay or a consignment site. Then wholesale out the rest.

If he has more time on his hands, he can sell runs of books on ebay for 50 cents to $1.00 a book depending on the run.

Also, if the books are ultra high grade (9.8), then he might consider slabbing, if he has the time and someone who knows how to grade to look them over. All of the Spideys are worth slabbing in that era in 9.8. However, don't forget to prescreen them if you do that.

27_laughing.gif

kinda rings like pupil schooling teacher here... very good grasshopper .. 27_laughing.gif

I thought you were like the guy in matrix, how come you can't pull up a thread......my confidence is shaken..is this really happening?

But none of this really looked like the kind of comprehensive treatment that might be most helpful.

I was looking for a comics version of this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0#Post1408886

We're not as sharp as coinees . . . 27_laughing.gif

Coinees are round, we get the sharp ends. wink.gif

Unless of course you didn't check for blunt ends poke2.gif

Can you guys offer any advice on valuation and selling?

It's mostly 1980's era stuff ...

Pick out all of the indy titles, load the rest in the pick-up, and dump it into the Chicago River . . . 27_laughing.gif

hi.gif

I think this is the best advice I've read so far, except for the picking out the indy titles part. Mid-80s is likely to be a bunch of grief for not much return.

Maybe if we knew where he's located, you could hook him up with a trusty boardie that could meet him and the collection, and give him some soudn advice.

Can you guys offer any advice on valuation and selling?

I swear there were previous threads on this, but I can't find them at the moment.

It's mostly 1980's era stuff, all in bags and boards. He's not able to judge the condition yet, so he kind of needs start to finish advice on taking steps to catalog, get a sense of condition, get a sense of rarity, find a good appraisal service, get some second opinions, etc..

Thanks in advance! I'll just point him at this thread to see what you guys come up with.

Krazy Kollection. poke2.gif

Were the 1980's really such a vast wasteland? BTW, he mentioned that they're mostly Marvel.

Not all of the 80s, just the later part of the decade. Most of the comics were overproduced, overhyped, and underdeveloped.

Were the 1980's really such a vast wasteland? BTW, he mentioned that they're mostly Marvel.

OK, the serious answer is some very very good books were produced in the 1980s, but their value as collectibles is marginal, with the occasional exceptions like ASM 300 or Dark Knight Returns #1 first print. Prior to the late 1970s, comics were largely disposable entertainment found on the newstands, so surviving copies-- especially in nice condition-- are relatively* rare. And, unsold copies from the newstand distribution era were shredded (at least in theory). Beginning in the late 1970s, comics began to be largely sold on a non-returnable basis through specialty shops to collectors. So, a much higher percentage of books from the 1980s were kept as collectibles, and a much much higher percentage of the unsold stock of the 1980s was warehoused in some manner rather than being shredded.

It is no accident that CGC starts their lower-priced "Modern" grading tier with books published in the mid-1970s. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

* "relatively" rare compared to what came after, i.e. the 1980s. thumbsup2.gif

Lets just say that Marvel titles came out twice a month for time in the 90's. It must be easy to write comics if they can come up with worthwile plots and drawings in 2 weeks.

Everyone's always quick to say 80's books are junk, but the real answer is that it depends on title/issue and condition. There are lots of NM/M early 80's books that I'd happily buy for a buck or two or more - how much effort the new owner wants to put into it sorting out the drek from the gems will determine if he can get more than wholesale for the bunch.

Here's what I'd suggest:

1. Create an inventory

2. Identify title, issue #, condition in 3 categories:

"Nothing special" i.e. GD

"Looks new to me" i.e. FN

:Looks completely flawless" i.e. VF/NM or maybe better if the owner is really critical

3. Post inventory here asking for readers to identify anything worthwhile

4. Scan and sell those that are worthwhile here or on ebay 1 or 2 at a time

5. Sell the rest in bunches of 20-40 in a lot on ebay OR donate them to a local school, library, children's hospital or other charity! thumbsup2.gif

Here's my advice:

1. Purchase or borrow an OSPG

2. Register with these boards

3. Pick out the most valuable books

4. Post them in the grading section

5. Offer them FS to board Members

5. Try to sell less valuable books in bulk to board members

Actually, there's a bunch of books in there, IF they are mostly Marvel, that aren't bad. If he can come up with a general list - don't worry about condition yet - that would be a start.

I'd love to get cheap 80s Spider-Mans, etc. etc.

I know, I know, there are indeed tons of good stuff from that era.

Five long boxes ? I know how many boxes I have, and I think I know

how many you probably have poke2.gif I gave up the battle, you still do it.

It's just that until we see a list, it's 3/$1 stuff.