• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anti-Paypal Campaign...

16 posts in this topic

Is it just me or are more sellers refusing to use Paypal...it use to be that 99 44/110% of auctions allowed Paypal payments now it seems more like 50-75%... 893frustrated.gif

I must admit...it causes me spend less... crazy.gif

I'm not sure I understand your figures?

It may be people trying to avoid fees and/or a growing realization that sellers are more vulnerable than they thought... UNLESS they take certain steps to limit their exposure to the "Paypal Grab" as explained in previous threads.

I've noticed this too - and took a break from celebrating this fact to respond to your post. Paypal is utterly ridiculous. Not only do they basically act as a money-laundering service for various overseas criminal operations, they make the honest "little guy" bend over for every little thing.

I stopped using Paypal more than a year ago, and can't express the joy this brought to my life. In addition to spending less money, I have the knowledge that Paypal has no access to my bank account, credit card account, blood bank account, etc. etc.

I'm not sure I understand your figures?

My figures were completely arbitrary..I just know that less sellers seem to accept Paypal thus causing me (and I am sure others) to pass over the auction...

Athough I can understand the problems people have stated with Paypal I think the positives of the service should be considered also...the biggest being more bidders thus a higher end price...

I happen to like Paypal and it's conveniance and find it cumbersome and basically a "pain in the azz" to have to pay via M.O. ...JMO...

Doesn't anyone realize that when you pay with a credit card at a retail store, they lose 3% of the sale price to the credit card company.

It's the cost of doing business.

Yes, no one wants to give away 3%, but you will be surpirsed how many bidders won't bid if you don't take it. I won't bid on any "Common" book if the seller doesn't take it. Plus using PayPal is added protection for me against Fraud.

I pay with cash most of the time - no one ever complains, and no one's ever ripped me off by claiming not to have received payment. Of course, for purchases over $100 or so, cash is pretty risky. Money Orders and Cashier's Checks take what, three minutes to obtain at a bank? And in some cases, certain types of checking accounts come with free money orders or CCs.

I think the biggest benefit of Paypal, from a buyer's perspective, is the instant gratification of buying something almost instantly online...getting your books faster, not having to worry about payment being rec'd, etc.

Still, to me, the negs outweigh the positives, big time.

My two cents:

Cashiers Checks or Money Orders only take three minutes to get, but its the 15-20 mintues waiting in line to get the C/C or Money Order. Especially postal money orders, severly long lines. Not to mention the time taken to drive to and from the bank or post office.

Paypal is much easier to just click and pay. Instantly.

Plus using PayPal is added protection for me against Fraud.

Yeah, right. I could sell you a X-Men #1, you pay me via Paypal, and I send out a box of rolled-up newspapers only (via registered mail, of course) and you couldn't recoup your losses. You'd be stuck holding the bag. Period. It's your word against mine, and I've spoken to Paypal about it before. Word for word, the rep told me "Well, Paypal wasn't present when you opened the box, so we cannot guarantee quality of items". They basically rely on shipping receipts to prove/disprove claims, thus the "rolled-up newspaper" reference. I could send you a X-Factor #88 and get away with it, from a Paypal point of view.

Sad, but very true. I still use Paypal myself as well.

My two cents:

Cashiers Checks or Money Orders only take three minutes to get, but its the 15-20 mintues waiting in line to get the C/C or Money Order. Especially postal money orders, severly long lines. Not to mention the time taken to drive to and from the bank or post office.

Paypal is much easier to just click and pay. Instantly.

Add to that the time it takes for a M.O. to be sent and recieved...

Also ponder this..

[*]M.O. = $1.00

[*]Stamp = $.37

[*]Envelope = $.05

[*]Time spent processing & dilly-dallying = $1.00 - $5.00 (this depends on how you value your time)

If you factor in these rough figures it seems that you are spending much more money by not being able to use Paypal... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For me PayPal is the only way to go. It severely limits turnaround time and is a huge hassle saver for international orders especially from the US where a lot of my customers are based. I use Paypal to buy and sell, Money Orders cost $$ and US currency money orders cost even more for Canadians. As a seller I love it, Ebay keeps track of people who have paid buy paypal in your sellers list. You can create packing slips so you dont ship out the wrong items to the wrong people. Most of all it saves a lot of hassle and I'm happy to pay the Fees associated with it to save the hassles to me and my customers.

Personally I'm turned off buy sellers who don't offer it, or worse expect you the buyer to pay for a service that saves them time and hassle. I mean they are already 893censored-thumb.gif people on shipping half the time I'm sure they could recoup the fees there.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your data. 95% of all of my payments are through Paypal, and this number has been steadily increasing. I used to deposit maybe 40 checks/money orders a week, now I'm at max 5.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your data. 95% of all of my payments are through Paypal, and this number has been steadily increasing. I used to deposit maybe 40 checks/money orders a week, now I'm at max 5.

That's info/data I would take to the bank.

I have no idea what the figures are/were... only offerieng a POV why they could be lower... if they were. I use Paypal almost exclusively, BUT I make sure i cover my arse.

It's been my experience that a Paypal account connected to a credit card is the best form of protection against fraud(unless of course the dealer accepts credit cards directly). I say this not because Paypal is receptive to fraud claims, but because credit card companies are. A few years ago I exercised the BIN on a Superman #14. I paid via Paypal, and the Seller never shipped the book. I contacted MasterCard, filled out a simple form on the back of my monthly statement, and was released of any responsibility for the payment. Since then I've used a credit card, either directly or through Paypal, for every eBay purchase I've made.

I have only used Paypal as a credit card for that precise reason...

Does Paypal now protect sellers with purchases made from international buyers? I know for a long time, they didn't and that is the main reason why I don't do international orders.

My opinion of PayPal is mixed. I wrote on this forum some time ago about PayPal screwing me over for a payment that was made to me using a stolen credit card. In the end, it is a valuable lesson, but really -- it ought not take a company 3 months to figure out "G's" got a stolen card, and is going on a shopping spree!!

On the flipside, PayPal does offer one of the most convenient online payment systems in the world. I recently installed an accounting system with a PayPal backend, and it was something of real beauty. If utitlized properly, their accounting and selling tools can be integrated easily, and can singlehandidly procure an entire point-of-sale payment sytem for any sized company looking to explore online opportunities.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they seem to be doing everything right, and it doesn't look like they are going to go away anytime soon.

On a related matter, doesn't ebay frown upon any sellers trying to claim additional fees for accepting payment through PayPal? The auction below is just an example, but I see this more and more -- how is it that sellers continue to get away with it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2185417972&category=74 (read "Sellers payment Instructions")