• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,321 posts in this topic

Wonder how hard this one is to find

hulk.jpg

Pinballs from the seventies and later are surprisingly common - but the trick is to find one locally because they're enormously expensive to ship.

The other problem of course is finding a spot for them in the house.

;)

Is that yours, Hepcat? Looks like it may be even nicer than mine. If so, congrats.

Unfortunately no. I really love seventies pinball machines but I'd need to do some serious rearranging of my house to find room for one. At present I have to content myself with large encyclopaedic books on pinball machines. Here are the three I have:

61EFY7F8J1L._SS500_.jpg

615JM8X8VDL._SS500_.jpg

51FXH51CZBL._SS500_.jpg

:(

Edited by Hepcat

I just got some frames from gweedo's comic book heaven. I think they look great

So do the books that are in them :applause:

Well, I know it doesn't look like much now, but here is my future comic room. That's my 8 yr old son trying to provide perspective and showing off for the camera. They just finished the 1st set of fill on the drywall. We expect to move in around the end of July. I am excited because it will be the 1st time I have had a dedicated comic room in 10 years :o

comic_room1.jpg

Edited by batman_fan

Well, I know it doesn't look like much now, but here is my future comic room. That's my 8 yr old son trying to provide perspective and showing off for the camera. They just finished the 1st set of fill on the drywall. We expect to move in around the end of July. I am excited because it will be the 1st time I have had a dedicated comic room in 10 years :o

:popcorn::popcorn:

I can't wait to see it when it's finished, Greg. I know you have some great stuff to put in it.

I love living vicariously through other board members projects,can't wait to see it when it's done. :applause:

One thing I didn't see - and expected to - were Wacky Packages, considering you have a heavy non-sports collection. I grew up collecting the O-Pee-Chee ones, printed in London, Ontario - not the Topps ones from the US. They are scarcer than hen's teeth.

I'll post some scans of the wonderful 1960 Leaf Foney Ads set that was a precursor to the Wacky Ads though.

Here are scans of the precursor sets to the Topps Wacky Packages. The first is the Leaf Foney Ads set that came out in 1960:

FoneyAds1.jpg

FoneyAds2.jpg

FoneyAdswrapper.jpg

The second is the Goodies Baloney Ads set which was a Canadian issue shortly thereafter:

BaloneyAds1.jpg

BaloneyAds2.jpg

BaloneyAdswrapper.jpg

The Baloney Ads set was a blatant rip-off of the Foney Ads set. It includes a lot of the very same imagery found in the Foney Ads set but rather sloppily redrawn .

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

Here are scans of some of my Topps Space cards from 1957 showing more of the detail:

Spacecards1.jpg

SpaceCards2.jpg\

Spacewrapper.jpg

And here are scans of some of my Topps Outer Limits cards:

OuterLimitscards1.jpg

OuterLimits2.jpg

OuterLimitswrappers.jpg

:juggle:

Here are scans of some of my Spook Theatre/Stories cards, stickers and wrappers:

Spooktheatrefront.jpg

SpookTheatreback.jpg

SpookTheatrestickers.jpg

SpookTheatrewrappers.jpg

SonofSpookwrapper.jpg

The Spook Stories were the first non-sport cards I collected aggressively as a kid.

:luhv:

Edited by Hepcat

Here are some closeup scans of my 1967 Topps Terror Tales cards:

TerrorTalesfront.jpg

TerrorTalesback.jpg

TerrorTaleswrapper.jpg

I love the contrast between the fronts with their sickly greenish tinge and the bright pink backs. It's a very tough set to complete though.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

And here are scans of some of my Topps Outer Limits cards:

OuterLimitscards1.jpg

I distinctly remember having the first card at upper left back in the day! Like with comic books I read at the time, certain images are burned into longterm memory even after nearly 50 years! But my memory wouldn't have been jogged without your post. Thanks Hepcat!

There's an interesting background story to the following cards from my collection. The cards were based on Hammer Horror Films and first released under the name Shock Theater when test marketed in the States in 1975:

ShockTheaterfront.jpg

Shocktheaterback.jpg

The set had two number 17 cards but no number 47 card. Some of the images were changed and most of the captions ended up being altered and the set was then released in the U.K. in 1976 under the name Shock Theatre. Both number 17 cards were changed to number 47.

doh!

Shocktheatrefront.jpg

ShockTheatreback.jpg

ShockTheatrewrapper.jpg

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat