• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,321 posts in this topic

Another wide view.

IMG_0724.JPG

That is one awesome room RedFury!!!!!! It looks like you have a great wealth of back issue reading to be had in that office. I really enjoy how you separated the Marvels and the DC Archives but kept them close. Nice bookshelves man!! I know that this is about the comics but I wanted to comment on you having some really elegant furniture as well...looks AMAZING-MAN (homage to the slabbed book on the desk wink) I also have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the framed More Fun #54 that you have above the desk. Did you have that professionally framed? Is it a print and if it is where did you obtain it? Awesome :applause:

Thanks! Yeah, I put the Amazing Man on the desk as an Easter egg for you guys to find. :)

The More Fun 54 is actually an original art re-creation done by Shelly Moldoff. So is the All-Star 3. They are both professionally framed, yes.

Super Awersome!!!!! :cloud9:

Another wide view.

IMG_0724.JPG

That is one awesome room RedFury!!!!!! It looks like you have a great wealth of back issue reading to be had in that office. I really enjoy how you separated the Marvels and the DC Archives but kept them close. Nice bookshelves man!! I know that this is about the comics but I wanted to comment on you having some really elegant furniture as well...looks AMAZING-MAN (homage to the slabbed book on the desk wink) I also have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the framed More Fun #54 that you have above the desk. Did you have that professionally framed? Is it a print and if it is where did you obtain it? Awesome :applause:

Thanks! Yeah, I put the Amazing Man on the desk as an Easter egg for you guys to find. :)

The More Fun 54 is actually an original art re-creation done by Shelly Moldoff. So is the All-Star 3. They are both professionally framed, yes.

are they model kits on the top shelf or toys?

Thanks Mark1. I greatly appreciate it man!! I figured as long as they were not going to be hit by the sun in ANY way it would be ok as I believe even in a slab fading would be an issue. At least I dont have to to worry about spine-roll!!!! My 2 year old daughter and her friends were the only thing holding me back so I installed a Schlage keypad lock for when my wife does her play-dates at my house. Maybe a little over the top, maybe not!! lol

Edited by gino2paulus2

Another wide view.

IMG_0724.JPG

are they model kits on the top shelf or toys?

Legos!

Not much of a room...

Started out in the smallest spare bedroom. Then graduated to the larger room, now taking over the basement! My wife says I have issues...

First pic is just my desk area, kinda taken over by my superhero/Star Trek oddities, while the other two are the nice spinner rack I just found on Craigslist for $50.00. Decided to fill it up with the few Dells I have.

137248.jpg.4fbc5657012c077d051fb80c104f46bf.jpg

137249.jpg.27ffdfed5b22cfca3409a534a754d240.jpg

137250.jpg.8316fe4aae76c0a9f51a161816642920.jpg

Not much of a room...

Started out in the smallest spare bedroom. Then graduated to the larger room, now taking over the basement! My wife says I have issues...

First pic is just my desk area, kinda taken over by my superhero/Star Trek oddities, while the other two are the nice spinner rack I just found on Craigslist for $50.00. Decided to fill it up with the few Dells I have.

Nice spinners and a cool room :applause:

Not much of a room...

Congrats & looks great! By the way, you do have issues, and they look good on the rack! (thumbs u

That wall of slabs is awesome. Any issues with the lighitng fading the books though? I wanted to do something similar.

Thanks Man!!! I think it is very important to plan prior to any kind of undertaking with your collectables. When my wife and I built our home about a year ago I knew going into the build which room was going to be for, "my stuff" and I actually had them remove one of the windows that was on the original plan so I would not have to worry about natural light coming close to my comics. The other thing to take into consideration (NOTE- I am by NO means any kind of expert in this) is that I believe any kind of unnatural light whether it be fluorescent, halogen, or simply a regular yellow bulb may also fade your books as well. I am not sure as to what the degree is but it is probably best to minimize this as much as possible. We have an understanding in our house not to turn the lights on this room if not need be :) I did for the pics just so you guys could get a better idea of the room. This room however is not to be confused with a dungeon by any stretch of the imagination. I mean the whole reason I put the books up in the first place was so I could enjoy them without having to pull them out of a box all the time. To answer your question, I have had NO issues with fading whatsoever and I have been displaying my books since 2005 when I bought my first home. The setup was quite a bit different but my though process about the safety of the books was the same. I do have a couple really dark books too (ex. Batman 227) Anyways I wish you nothing but the best as you move forward with displaying, "your stuff" It puts a huge smile on my face every time I come in here (like right now ;) and I really get a kick out of my friends and families faces when they come in here and see what I have done. It is always a work in progress but it is a labor of pride and joy!! Thanks again, good luck, and take care!!!!

Thanks, great info. My man cave only has one window which is shut 99% of the time, and I mainly use a desk lamp, so I think I might be safe. Definitely going to keep this in mind as my slab collection grows.

That wall of slabs is awesome. Any issues with the lighitng fading the books though? I wanted to do something similar.

Thanks Man!!! I think it is very important to plan prior to any kind of undertaking with your collectables. When my wife and I built our home about a year ago I knew going into the build which room was going to be for, "my stuff" and I actually had them remove one of the windows that was on the original plan so I would not have to worry about natural light coming close to my comics. The other thing to take into consideration (NOTE- I am by NO means any kind of expert in this) is that I believe any kind of unnatural light whether it be fluorescent, halogen, or simply a regular yellow bulb may also fade your books as well. I am not sure as to what the degree is but it is probably best to minimize this as much as possible. We have an understanding in our house not to turn the lights on this room if not need be :) I did for the pics just so you guys could get a better idea of the room. This room however is not to be confused with a dungeon by any stretch of the imagination. I mean the whole reason I put the books up in the first place was so I could enjoy them without having to pull them out of a box all the time. To answer your question, I have had NO issues with fading whatsoever and I have been displaying my books since 2005 when I bought my first home. The setup was quite a bit different but my though process about the safety of the books was the same. I do have a couple really dark books too (ex. Batman 227) Anyways I wish you nothing but the best as you move forward with displaying, "your stuff" It puts a huge smile on my face every time I come in here (like right now ;) and I really get a kick out of my friends and families faces when they come in here and see what I have done. It is always a work in progress but it is a labor of pride and joy!! Thanks again, good luck, and take care!!!!

Cool advice :applause:

I believe fluorescent bulbs are the worse type for fading book.

No.

different light sources accelerate fading at different rates. It depends on the amount of ultraviolet (UV) light each particular light source produces. The worst culprit is natural daylight, followed at a distant second by incandescent and finally fluorescent. ESL (electron stimulated luminescence) bulbs are still close cousins to fluorescents in the way that they create light. These bulbs produce close to the same amount of UV as other fluorescent bulbs. Their main advantage over other fluorescents is that they contain no mercury. Fluorescent bulbs produce a small amount of UV, and until LEDs came on the market, they were the best bet. Only LEDs, which produce no ultraviolet light, completely protect fabrics and art from fading.

Not much of a room...

Nice spinners and a cool room :applause:

+1, very cool.