• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCS Profiteering S.O.B.s

123 posts in this topic

I went to local comic shop to inquire about , what else, Cap 25.

Yes they have some.

Yes they are for sale.

They want 150.00 each!!!

I walked out in digust after cancelling my comic file.

No I didnt buy the stuff that was in it.

15 bucks, well I can understand, 20 bucks, wow that is alot for a comic that just came out.

150?

You just lost a customer.

IMHO that's the wrong approach...

If they are charging $150 for the issue (which is entirely their right)... ask them what they are paying for it.

If the answer is $75, then sell them as many copies as you can as quickly as you can.

If the answer is $10 (or we're not buying them at all), ask them why they aren't interested in making some quick cash by selling some copies at a huge profit.

Force them to explain to you why they are passing up quick profits...

In my opinion, it's not profiteering if you back up your sale price with your buy price... when Ultimate Spider-Man 1 had been out about 5 days, I was charging $25 a copy in my store, and I had a sign right below the wall copy saying I was buying them for $15 each. Most folks thought I was crazy (with both prices frankly). But I backed up my predictions with my cash...

See if your store will do the same... confused-smiley-013.gif

Have an LCS in portland (excalibur) that gouges just about every USM or variant when it comes out, so I pick them up at the crappy dirty looking store down the street. (things from another world)

Charging a premium on 1:25 or 1:50 variants doesn't bother me, it's the fact that he offers cover for them to people looking to sell bothers me.

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ethics and taking a stand. I would do exactly the same in that situation. Fortunately the LCS guy here isn't money hungry and actually looks after his long term investment (me) and not short term gain while screwing people over. screwy.gif I know.

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ethics and taking a stand. I would do exactly the same in that situation. Fortunately the LCS guy here isn't money hungry and actually looks after his long term investment (me) and not short term gain while screwing people over. screwy.gif I know.

I am going to dis agree and say that it is incorrect to say that the seller is doing something wrong in this free capatalist society. He is free to ask what he wants and people are free to pay what they want. Sale price and buying price are personal choice and there are no rules that can be applied. In this economy the FMV is made by supply/demand. His price WILL be adjusted when he sees it is no longer selling. He has just as much right to ask $150 as we do to offer $3 for it knowing full well that he can get more. It's just like a very hi grade book selling for stupid money, and then people come on here and bash the transaction. Freedom of choice. In the symbiotic relationship between supply and demand there is no right and wrong. Only sale or no sale. People need to get over what other people ask for a book and either buy or don't buy. End of story. sign-rantpost.gif

R.

Charging a premium on 1:25 or 1:50 variants doesn't bother me, it's the fact that he offers cover for them to people looking to sell bothers me.

And that's the part that should bother you... Firms should price based on their replacement cost, not their sunk cost... The fact that they paid $1.79 for an issue that books at $20 in guide is just as irrelevant as the fact that they may have paid $15 for a back issue that is now worth $0.75... Their price should be based on what it currently costs them to replace it.

A store that bases all their prices on their original cost will be a ghost town filled with back issues nobody wants any more. There will be Harbinger 1s priced at $200, VF copies of Amazing Spider-Man 149 priced at $250, and a bunch of Crossgen books on the wall at $10 each. You can't price based on original cost.

But to charge $60 for an item and only be willing to pay $3 for a replacement is a travesty... and it's true of every dealer, not just LCS dealers. If the guy selling you a high grade Spidey for $2200 is only willing to pay $300 for the same book, there is something wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am going to dis agree and say that it is incorrect to say that the seller is doing something wrong in this free capatalist society. He is free to ask what he wants and people are free to pay what they want. Sale price and buying price are personal choice and there are no rules that can be applied. In this economy the FMV is made by supply/demand. His price WILL be adjusted when he sees it is no longer selling. He has just as much right to ask $150 as we do to offer $3 for it knowing full well that he can get more. It's just like a very hi grade book selling for stupid money, and then people come on here and bash the transaction. Freedom of choice. In the symbiotic relationship between supply and demand there is no right and wrong. Only sale or no sale. People need to get over what other people ask for a book and either buy or don't buy. End of story. sign-rantpost.gif

R.

How can you say it's incorrect to give an opinion confused.gif, I'm saying my feelings tell me it's unethical and I would take a stand just as the original poster did. I'm not bashing the seller or a buyer, and as you said just won't buy, that was "taking the stand" portion of my comment. I agree that bashing any seller or buyer for paying stupid price is undeserved, but to comment on the practice knowing FMV (which is NOT $150 and hasn't been since the first few hours) is not undeserved. I guess I didn't see me "bashing" anyone. confused-smiley-013.gif But then again I'm just a novice so hail.gif

I am going to dis agree and say that it is incorrect to say that the seller is doing something wrong in this free capatalist society.

I'm reminded of all the price gougers down in New Orleans after Katrina.

Price gouging or free capitalist society?

I'm just saying pay 10-15 bucks for a 1:50 variant isn't that bad, because to get it myself, I would have to presumably pay roughly 90 bucks to diamond. (Not that I could get a 1:5 variant from excalibur for under 35 bucks, but still...)

Yes, people who were charging any more than 3 bucks for the Flash: The Fastest Man Alive variant bothered me, but mainly because the variant was way ugly in comparison 27_laughing.gif.

But I digress... I always figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to pay the same percentage of whatever you're charging before dealer markup is. I.E, using the 1.79 figure for a 2.99 book, that means roughly a 40% markup, which isn't that bad. Then again I haven't owned my own store yet, so 40% could be quite low for all I know.

I am going to dis agree and say that it is incorrect to say that the seller is doing something wrong in this free capatalist society.

I'm reminded of an outdoor concert we had here a few years ago. It was sooo hot that people were dropping like flies from being dehydrated. Many were taken away in ambulances.

Vendors were charging like $20 per bottle of water.

Price gouging is price gouging. No rationalizing it.

Same exact thing happened with the Death of Superman. Different decade, same result.

Same thing happened at Saturn dealerships when the 2-seater Sky came out. You know, Saturn, fixed price, no mark-up, 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

All of a sudden, the car was a hit, and jeez, I'm sorry, but's there's a 5K additional dealer markup on the price tag of this one.

I say vote with your wallet and if your LCS wants top dollar give them the big F U !!

makepoint.gif

Done with my sign-rantpost.gif

Sid, I'm not coming down on you, just saying that people are free to ask whatever they want. He will find out very quickly that his price is not within FMV (or maybe he sold a few copies at that price, more power to him). Look up the work symbiotic (not meaning to be condecsending, just not sure if everyone knows what it means). It's a relationship between two entities. Relationship. That means if there is no buyer at that price, then he will drop the price eventually. Actually, he is only making a fool of himself because when the overprint arrives, those books will be selling for cover price again, so he should have set a reasonable price and sold them for a much lower price and blown them out the door when he got the chance.

flowerred.gif

I'm reminded of an outdoor concert we had here a few years ago. It was sooo hot that people were dropping like flies from being dehydrated. Many were taken away in ambulances.

Vendors were charging like $20 per bottle of water.

And there is a difference between price gouging for a necessity (which human life depends on) and a luxury. I mean who is going to suffer if they don't get their issue of Cap #25. Not me. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd have no problem helping a brother out in a pinch for something serious and yet getting top doller for a hot comic. I just wouldn't be selling the Cap #25 at NO if you catch my meaning. thumbsup2.gif

I put one set on ebay for 50 and got it 20 minutes later. does that make me bad no. I supplied my suscribers with their copies at cover minus 10 % with a bag and board. then I sold a few to non suscribers who were good customers and put 2 sets on ebay for 9.99 with a 50.00 buy it now does that make me bad or a profiteer no. It makes me a smart businessman. I think it is wrong for a dealer to sell the item in his shop for 150 when it just came out the other day but if he wants to put it on ebay an it recieves a bid like that then OK.

Sid, I'm not coming down on you, just saying that people are free to ask whatever they want. He will find out very quickly that his price is not within FMV (or maybe he sold a few copies at that price, more power to him). Look up the work symbiotic (not meaning to be condecsending, just not sure if everyone knows what it means). It's a relationship between two entities. Relationship. That means if there is no buyer at that price, then he will drop the price eventually. Actually, he is only making a fool of himself because when the overprint arrives, those books will be selling for cover price again, so he should have set a reasonable price and sold them for a much lower price and blown them out the door when he got the chance.

flowerred.gif

flowerred.gif I agree with you and have voiced my opinion on this issue many times, even on the forum, reminds me of the esquire comics discussion on the Action Comics sale. But the scenarios are so different which is why I think we're at odds. The dealer has the _right_ to charge but it's not right. tongue.gif

I put one set on ebay for 50 and got it 20 minutes later. does that make me bad no. I supplied my suscribers with their copies at cover minus 10 % with a bag and board. then I sold a few to non suscribers who were good customers and put 2 sets on ebay for 9.99 with a 50.00 buy it now does that make me bad or a profiteer no. It makes me a smart businessman. I think it is wrong for a dealer to sell the item in his shop for 150 when it just came out the other day but if he wants to put it on ebay an it recieves a bid like that then OK.

I personally think it's ok to charge whatever he wants as long as his regulars got a copy at cover price. Just my 2 cents. I missed the boat on buying an Action #1 for $1000 in NM, should I be peeved at all dealers for asking much more now, because that is how the price increase happens. People are willing to pay more, so dealers continue ask for more...pushing the envelope until they hit a wall and then reduce their prices. I'm ok with that.

And before someone gets into it with me, yes I do understand there is a significance between an Action #1 and a Cap #23 or whatever issue it is...but the supply/demand relationship is 100% the same. The FMV is determined by what the buyer will pay.

R.

flowerred.gif

flowerred.gif I agree with you and have voiced my opinion on this issue many times, even on the forum, reminds me of the esquire comics discussion on the Action Comics sale. But the scenarios are so different which is why I think we're at odds. The dealer has the _right_ to charge but it's not right. tongue.gif

It not wrong either, bud....just silly to overprice and not sell your product. poke2.gif

Hey, does the guy have the book on his wall with a visible price tag? You need to get a photo so you can show the guy in a few years when it's back down in price, say right about when they reveal it was an android instead of Cap.

$150? Please. It was stunts like that which kept me from picking up Longbow Hunters back in the day. Sure they can charge what they want but customers have a right to laugh in their faces and find a more resonable supplier too.