• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCS Profiteering S.O.B.s

123 posts in this topic

I am going to dis agree and say that it is incorrect to say that the seller is doing something wrong in this free capatalist society.

I'm reminded of all the price gougers down in New Orleans after Katrina.

Price gouging or free capitalist society?

I'm reminded of an outdoor concert we had here a few years ago. It was sooo hot that people were dropping like flies from being dehydrated. Many were taken away in ambulances.

Vendors were charging like $20 per bottle of water.

Isn't that the going rate for water at some concerts these days?

That's Canadian, it doesn't count. poke2.gif

One LCS I go to (the one I have been using for over 10 years) sold them at cover. The other one I go to sold at cover to pull customers and $10 for issues that he put to the stands. One store in town was selling them at $100 a pop.

The first store I mentioned has a reorder coming which I decided to see if he could set aside a copy for me just so I can avoid having to pay alot of money later on when people try dumping their copies for too much money to try and atone for their stupidity. I know I will eventually seek out the back issues on this book so I figure it would be better to grab this book cheap now rather than wait several months.

I was ten years old in 1966. After school I rode my bike to the drugstore where I happily bought the newest arrivals from the comic spinner rack. I was looking forward to the latest Fantastic Four as the previous month introduced this cool guy called the Silver Surfer and some big mean guy called Galactus. I had waited all month to see what was going to happen in the next issue.

I went with four comics that I had picked out and laid two quarters on the counter, excited once again to sit on the curb outside the store and enter the marvelous world of Spidey, the FF, the X-Men and Thor. The druggist who always cheerfully sold me my precious comics started ringing up my order on the cash register. When he reached the FF #49, a slight frown came to his face and he set it aside from the other three books. He finished ringing up the order, then walked from around the counter and bent down so he could talk to me eye-to-eye.

“Son, I can’t sell you the Fantastic Four book, because last month I sold out all of that title within a few days. People kept coming in and asking me if I had any more copies left, and I didn’t. It’s so popular that this month I’m charging $2.50 a copy and people are buying it anyway. You don’t have enough money to purchase this book.”

I couldn’t believe it. No way I could come up with that kind of money; why $2.00 bought me every Marvel title each month. “But Mr. Haskens, I got all the issues from #41 on up, and I have to find out what happens to the Thing and the Torch this month!!”

Mr. Haskens went on to explain about supply and demand, fair market value, personal choice, and a bunch of other stuff I didn’t understand. He seemed a little sad. But he wouldn’t sell me the book for 12 cents like always. I went outside and read my Spider-Man and the other two books.

I didn’t have a pull-list to reserve books each month, just walked in and bought them. Didn’t take them home and store them in mylars, just stacked them in my bottom dresser drawer. They weren’t investments, they were entertainment.

And of course this never really happened. I did buy my comics from the local drugstore spinner rack. I was 10 in 1966. And I’m glad I ‘m not a 10 year old boy now.

I was ten years old in 1966. After school I rode my bike to the drugstore where I happily bought the newest arrivals from the comic spinner rack. I was looking forward to the latest Fantastic Four as the previous month introduced this cool guy called the Silver Surfer and some big mean guy called Galactus. I had waited all month to see what was going to happen in the next issue.

I went with four comics that I had picked out and laid two quarters on the counter, excited once again to sit on the curb outside the store and enter the marvelous world of Spidey, the FF, the X-Men and Thor. The druggist who always cheerfully sold me my precious comics started ringing up my order on the cash register. When he reached the FF #49, a slight frown came to his face and he set it aside from the other three books. He finished ringing up the order, then walked from around the counter and bent down so he could talk to me eye-to-eye.

“Son, I can’t sell you the Fantastic Four book, because last month I sold out all of that title within a few days. People kept coming in and asking me if I had any more copies left, and I didn’t. It’s so popular that this month I’m charging $2.50 a copy and people are buying it anyway. You don’t have enough money to purchase this book.”

I couldn’t believe it. No way I could come up with that kind of money; why $2.00 bought me every Marvel title each month. “But Mr. Haskens, I got all the issues from #41 on up, and I have to find out what happens to the Thing and the Torch this month!!”

Mr. Haskens went on to explain about supply and demand, fair market value, personal choice, and a bunch of other stuff I didn’t understand. He seemed a little sad. But he wouldn’t sell me the book for 12 cents like always. I went outside and read my Spider-Man and the other two books.

I didn’t have a pull-list to reserve books each month, just walked in and bought them. Didn’t take them home and store them in mylars, just stacked them in my bottom dresser drawer. They weren’t investments, they were entertainment.

And of course this never really happened. I did buy my comics from the local drugstore spinner rack. I was 10 in 1966. And I’m glad I ‘m not a 10 year old boy now.

I still remember the death of superman fiasco...........I don't buy new comics today due to the way the "collector" was treated in the 90's....and I'm sure it's been my loss as much as anyone's. I hope you had a chance to read your 12 cent issue poke2.gif

Best first post ever! Thank you. And welcome to the boards.

I think it's insane the LCS is charging 150. However, it's his right to charge it and get a temporary sale and lose his customer base. If he took it out of someone's box, he deserves to lose customers. I wouldn't cancel my subscription if I had my book at cover price in my box. I would probably sell my copy to him for $75 if he were getting that price and pick up another copy later.

Best first post ever! Thank you. And welcome to the boards.

See - that is whole point is that I don't feel that the people that are

flipping at riddiculious $$$$$ are getting.

Not all people are looking to "get rich" with the purchase of this comic

(sounds totally insane applying that logic to a modern)

many want to read it and not all modern readers are adults.

I'm sure kids want to know what happened to Cap as well, but can't afford to.

tongue.gif

One LCS I go to (the one I have been using for over 10 years) sold them at cover. The other one I go to sold at cover to pull customers and $10 for issues that he put to the stands . One store in town was selling them at $100 a pop.

Sounds reasonable.

I went to my LCS to pick up my weekly books and in my pull stack was Cap#25. Bought it for cover price. They had a list of people that could sign up to buy the issue at cover price, when they received their second supply in.

cloud9.gif

You pay full cover price for your new books? Even here in the Land of Entrapment I get 10% off (both covers waiting in my box). cloud9.gif

As a long time supporter of my LCS and someone who buys Captain America each month I would be pissed if he charged me more then cover price. I would walk out the door and never go back....really I would. I have noticed that my LCS is selling some issues on ebay at huge $$, there better be one sitting in my box at regular price. On a side note my LCS is a really cool guy who has always looked after his regular customers, I would be shocked if I don't get it for cover price and a cheap price on the variant. I always get 1st shot at most issues and variants, if its a tough incentive cover then he will tell me what he wants for it and I decide if I want it.

I can understand them trying to make a quick buck on a hot book, most comic shops could use the boost in cash. If a common Joe walks in off the street and the shop owner wants to elevate the price then thats his choice, he risk not selling it and getting stuck with the issue. When you have customers who buy comics off you every week for years (10+) they deserve a little respect back. They are your long term money and the people who pay your salary.

One LCS I go to (the one I have been using for over 10 years) sold them at cover. The other one I go to sold at cover to pull customers and $10 for issues that he put to the stands . One store in town was selling them at $100 a pop.

Sounds reasonable.

Yeah I thought so too. He figured that he didn't have much going to the shelf anyway and most of the people coming in were people that wanted only that issue and they would never come back so he may as well take advantage of the demand. He is a new store and when something like this comes along it is hard not to try and take advantage of it. He didn't mention any complaints.

It is a tough spot to be in for a new store and I really think he compromised in a fair manner. The other store that was selling them at $100 a pop though ..... ALWAYS brings in lots of copies, doesn't discount to pull customers, etc. That is the way he does business and why many around here don't like him (though people oddly enough still buy from him even though they know his prices are sky high)

i picked up both covers yesterday at a LCS for cover. first time buying a book off the shelf in over 20 years. didnt know moderns are $4.75 a book now tonofbricks.gif

$4.75 for a brand new funnybook? Now that's price-gouging!

Sounds like another manufactured 'collectible' to me - anyone know what the print run is for this book? Any chance it will be worth more than cover price in less than 9.6 ten years from now?

Sounds like another manufactured 'collectible' to me - anyone know what the print run is for this book? Any chance it will be worth more than cover price in less than 9.6 ten years from now?

I think the 1st print run was around 150K...

Jim

Jim

Watching that Ebay price whackiness I wondered about the 1st print run numbers. There's this statement :

"NRAMA: Obviously, you’re not going to give numbers, but just in terms of a ballpark - how large was the overprint on Captain America #25 compared to its initial orders?

David Gabriel:: Let's just say we did the largest ever."

The numbers for other Civil War issues look fairly significant. ICv2's Top 300 Comics Index

CIVIL WAR #6 (Of 7)* 259,264

CIVIL WAR #5 (Of 7)* 272,603

CIVIL WAR #4 (Of 7)* 272,573

So, depending on what "largest ever" means, wouldn't the 1st print run be huge? Maybe not Turok #1 huge, but certainly a modern day chart topper?

Jim

Watching that Ebay price whackiness I wondered about the 1st print run numbers. There's this statement :

"NRAMA: Obviously, you’re not going to give numbers, but just in terms of a ballpark - how large was the overprint on Captain America #25 compared to its initial orders?

The numbers for other Civil War issues look fairly significant. ICv2's Top 300 Comics Index

So, depending on what "largest ever" means, wouldn't the 1st print run be huge? Maybe not Turok #1 huge, but certainly a modern day chart topper?

If I remember correctly...someone here stated the initial distro was 90K+ with 66K+ left at Diamond for release the 2nd week... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Jim

I think you missed one key word in that quote...

Largest overprint is by no means largest print run...

I think you missed one key word in that quote...

Largest overprint is by no means largest print run...

No, I got that...initial orders plus "largest ever" overrun. But in the context of Marvel knowing that inital orders didn't reflect it's soon-to-be-known "media event" status, combined with typical numbers Civil War was doing, makes me wonder how many they'd produce.

Cap 24 shows about 80K: CAPTAIN AMERICA #24 CW 79,885. And they know Civil War does over 250K. So how many for a Media Event? 300K? 400K? More?

It will be interesting to see when the numbers come out.