• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCS Profiteering S.O.B.s

123 posts in this topic

A question that I have for you or anyone else is. What if you walked into this LCS and they had 100 copies sitting there for $2.95 each no limit and they have no idea that this book is so hot. Would you just buy one and leave some for the other customers, or would you buy them all and try to profit from them?

Buy one and leave the rest. Anyone who lived through the 90s boom would probably do the same...

And far as this thread, I really can't fathom how people can defend this dealer... screwy.gif

Jim

My problem is the LCS is supposed to sell them for the price on the cover. Marvel sells them to the LCS below sticker, and the LCS sells them at sticker. Cut and dry. After it leaves the LCS, whole nother story (as seen on feebay). If the comic was brand new and a complete piece of *spoon* would the LCS just give it to you for 25% of sticker? I think not.

If all new issues were sold on a supply/demand scenario, why would there be prices on the cover at all???????

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

Actually that's not true...

If Marvel required LCSs to charge a set price they would be in violation of a number of federal laws... The cover price is a "suggested retail price" and nothing more.

I'm not aware of these federal laws, please let me know what they are.

My problem is the LCS is supposed to sell them for the price on the cover. Marvel sells them to the LCS below sticker, and the LCS sells them at sticker. Cut and dry. After it leaves the LCS, whole nother story (as seen on feebay). If the comic was brand new and a complete piece of *spoon* would the LCS just give it to you for 25% of sticker? I think not.

If all new issues were sold on a supply/demand scenario, why would there be prices on the cover at all???????

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

If Marvel required LCSs to charge a set price they would be in violation of a number of federal laws... The cover price is a "suggested retail price" and nothing more.

To me it's no different then a scalper selling tickets above list price...and that's illegal

the biggest issue I see here with a dealer charging $150 is that he most likely knows they will be available in a few days for cover price, so he is basically mugging whoever buys it... unless he lets them know the price will be going down, but what are the chances of that.

Maybe it is irrational for a customer to cancel a subscription based just on one book's price. But customers are irrational sometimes. King, I think you have great potential with a store but please see that many customers are offput by this action, whether you think it small or not. Even if it doesn't make sense to you, sometimes a lesser short term gain can lead to longer term gains.

-Bob

Well, if that is how most customers in the comic industry react to something they don't like then customers need to calm down. I think customers need to learn that nobody OWES them anything. It seems to me like customers feel like they have been dealt a card of injustice when prices are not to their liking. If you don't like the price then don't buy it. After a long enough period of nobody buying his Cap #25 for $150 he might realize that he should lower the price. It seems like a simply concept to me. That's how the rest of the world works... juggle.gif Will you die if you don't get a Cap #25? insane.gif

I went to local comic shop to inquire about , what else, Cap 25.

Yes they have some.

Yes they are for sale.

They want 150.00 each!!!

I walked out in digust after cancelling my comic file.

No I didnt buy the stuff that was in it.

15 bucks, well I can understand, 20 bucks, wow that is alot for a comic that just came out.

150?

You just lost a customer.

I applaud your efforts!

I beleive it's insane like this that kills the hobby.

I have nothing wrong with a business making a buck or two

But Damn, there have to be others that feel this type of behavior

isn't good for the future of comic collecting.

Once this crashes (and you know it will) - there will be a backlash wave

of modern buyers that get burned out and frustrated enough to

tell comics to stick it...

I for one like the idea of bring people to the hobby

like free comic day for instance...

why we have to kill off characters and start all this

nutweed slop is beyond me.

Christo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Maybe it is irrational for a customer to cancel a subscription based just on one book's price. But customers are irrational sometimes. King, I think you have great potential with a store but please see that many customers are offput by this action, whether you think it small or not. Even if it doesn't make sense to you, sometimes a lesser short term gain can lead to longer term gains.

-Bob

Well, if that is how most customers in the comic industry react to something they don't like then customers need to calm down. I think customers need to learn that nobody OWES them anything. It seems to me like customers feel like they have been dealt a card of injustice when prices are not to their liking. If you don't like the price then don't buy it. It seems like a simply concept to me. That's how the rest of the world works... juggle.gif Will you die if you don't get a Cap #25? insane.gif

And I think the store owners need to learn that nobody OWES them anything, either.

Certainly not loyalty, if they insist on making anything between 4,000 and 7,000% profit on an item that's (a) three days old and (b) worth next to nothing this time next week.

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ethics and taking a stand. I would do exactly the same in that situation. Fortunately the LCS guy here isn't money hungry and actually looks after his long term investment (me) and not short term gain while screwing people over. screwy.gif I know.

Ethics??? He's not doing anything uneithical 27_laughing.gif He's just asking a freakin' insane price for a comic book. foreheadslap.gif He's not screwing other people over, he's screwing himself over because nobody will buy the book.

-Bob

Well, if that is how most customers in the comic industry react to something they don't like then customers need to calm down. I think customers need to learn that nobody OWES them anything. It seems to me like customers feel like they have been dealt a card of injustice when prices are not to their liking. If you don't like the price then don't buy it. It seems like a simply concept to me. That's how the rest of the world works... juggle.gif Will you die if you don't get a Cap #25? insane.gif

And I think the store owners need to learn that nobody OWES them anything, either.

Certainly not loyalty, if they insist on making anything between 4,000 and 7,000% profit on an item that's (a) three days old and (b) worth next to nothing this time next week.

You're right nobody owes store owners anything either. This is a BUSINESS. Neither side is naturally in debt to the other. They have the God given natural right to ask whatever they want for a comic book, just as every other man has the God given right to not buy it.

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

To me it's no different then a scalper selling tickets above list price...and that's illegal

I just want to know what these federal laws are as they are supposed to

pertain to publishing prices.

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

You are welcome to peruse the New York Attorney General web page where they discuss such things:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/business/antitrust.html

And far as this thread, I really can't fathom how people can defend this dealer...

Jim

After hearing that this dealer is jerking his subscribers around and selling copies they should have received, I am certainly not defending him either. Any self-respecting LCS fills their pull-list customers before even considering what to price the "extra" copies at... I defend the dealer's right to set his own price for his extras, but there is no defense for violating the contract between retailer and subscriber. mad.gif

Have to disagree here for a moment.

I owe everything to my customers. If it wasnt for my customers,

1. I would not own my home

2. Would not have met my second wife and my kids today.

3. Would be finacially limited to what I wear, where I eat and things I have bought/own etc... etc.. etc

Do I have opportunaties to gouge my customers on billing or price my repairs as high as a dealership? Absolutely.

Honesty keeps customers loyal, period. If not for my customers, I would not be in the situation/lifestyle I have today.

So do I owe my customers anything? Without a friggen doubt, I sure do.

-Bob

You're right nobody owes store owners anything either. This is a BUSINESS. Neither side is naturally in debt to the other. They have the God given natural right to ask whatever they want for a comic book, just as every other man has the God given right to not buy it.

Not only that...I have the right to tell him to shove the comic up his 893censored-thumb.gif

Isn't life swell.... cloud9.gif

Not that this is helping the arguement in any way I would like to state that my LCS refuses to sell the book above cover price for the very reason that have been stated above (they bought at below cover, etc.).

Then why does it say $2.95 on the cover????????

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Have to disagree here for a moment.

I owe everything to my customers. If it wasnt for my customers,

1. I would not own my home

2. Would not have met my second wife and my kids today.

3. Would be finacially limited to what I wear, where I eat and things I have bought/own etc... etc.. etc

Do I have opportunaties to gouge my customers on billing or price my repairs as high as a dealership? Absolutely.

Honesty keeps customers loyal, period. If not for my customers, I would not be in the situation/lifestyle I have today.

So do I owe my customers anything? Without a friggen doubt, I sure do.

On a personal standpoint I would agree. On a personal level help your customers out. But on a basic business standpoint I believe that neither owes the other anything. Nobody should be getting upset because the business hasn't given them the deal they want on something. If the store decides to offer the book to the customer for a price the customer is happy with then , right on...but if they don't then that's okay too.