• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

MysteryMen23bcGA.jpg

I just can't understand how Fox didn't become the industry leader with a line up like this. All of these characters are so new and original! D-12 should still be coming out and challenging the X-Men for monthly sales supremacy. Spark Stevens and Marga could be an item. And the great Super Squad team book with Yarko as the leader, the Dart coming out of the closet, and Samson as the Lothario constantly pawing at Patty O'Day. Can you imagine the big annual Fox cross-over Crisis maxi-series and the ....ah, never mind.

I just can't understand how Fox didn't become the industry leader

Could it be because they allowed the artwork on their covers to deteriorate to this?

MysteryMen23GA.jpg

I know that with MLJ, many of their top artist went into the service after Pearl Harbor. I'm sure it was true for most other companies. The good artist who weren't able to serve due to age or medical reasons were stretched pretty thin and had to work faster than usual.

I just can't understand how Fox didn't become the industry leader with a line up like this. All of these characters are so new and original! D-12 should still be coming out and challenging the X-Men for monthly sales supremacy. Spark Stevens and Marga could be an item. And the great Super Squad team book with Yarko as the leader, the Dart coming out of the closet, and Samson as the Lothario constantly pawing at Patty O'Day. Can you imagine the big annual Fox cross-over Crisis maxi-series and the ....ah, never mind.

ROFL!....great stuff.... grin.gif

I know that with MLJ, many of their top artist went into the service after Pearl Harbor. I'm sure it was true for most other companies. The good artist who weren't able to serve due to age or medical reasons were stretched pretty thin and had to work faster than usual.

Well, in fairness -- and I say this as a rabid Fox collector! -- the drop in the Fox titles' art quality started in 1940, after the Eisner/Iger shop parted ways with Victor Fox over work not paid for. Fox rehired a few of the Eisner/Iger artists directly, but mostly brought in a bunch of second-stringers to crank out stories. There was still some good stuff scattered around, but that's when the slide in quality started.

MysteryMen23bcGA.jpg

my fave is the Green Mask. certainly the cornerstone of any "superheroes named after a part of their own costume" collection, along with Purple Boots Man, and The Shiny Buckle

MysteryMen23bcGA.jpg

my fave is the Green Mask. certainly the cornerstone of any "superheroes named after a part of their own costume" collection, along with Purple Boots Man, and The Shiny Buckle

The hue adjective was obviously such a good idea that it was used four times here; blue green, black and the ever popular golden. Thirty percent of the fox line was color coded!

I would actually love to read a Purple Boots Man adventure! And with a Lou Fine cover to boot!

MysteryMen05GA.jpg

On these boards, is it proper etiquettte to quote a scan just so you can see on a different page? That's the case here...what a book!

Rex is only on the cover of #2 and #9, but both are classics.

Rex is only on the cover of #2 and #9, but both are classics.

They sure are. Wish I owned both of them.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You have!