• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I've got a lot going on this week so I'll be posting scans only if time permits. I've pulled the following Mystery Men for possible action.

# 1 (August 1939)

# 2 (September 1939)

# 3 (October 1939)

# 4 (November 1939)

# 5 (December 1939)

# 8 (March 1940)

# 9 (April 1940)

# 10 (May 1940)

# 11 (June 1940)

# 12 (July 1940)

# 13 (August 1940)

# 14 (September 1940)

# 16 (November 1940)

# 17 (December 1940)

# 18 (January 1941)

# 21 (April 1941)

# 23 (June 1941)

# 24 (July 1941)

# 27 (October 1941)

# 30 (January 1942)

hungover.gif

Reminds me of Eddie Murphy in Trading Places.

Sweet books BZ, I have never seen any of those. I like 'em!

I'd laugh but my comments are......(pending Bedrock) shy.gif

"Once you have a man with no legs you never go back, baby!". tongue.gif

MysteryMen10GA.jpg

This is still my favorite Fox book. Unfortunately, it is also on my want-list. Someday one will come my way. 'Til then, I'm gonna be staring at this one!

"Once you have a man with no legs you never go back, baby!". tongue.gif

Once a train runs over a man with no legs, he never comes back!

This is still my favorite Fox book. Unfortunately, it is also on my want-list. Someday one will come my way. 'Til then, I'm gonna be staring at this one!

Allow me to digress for a moment here. As a dealer, it's surprising to hear that there are books on your want-list you don't have. I suspect you have it easier than us in finding books, right? I have then to assume that you meant you haven't found the "right" copy for your collection as I guess you want a HG copy? This is something I haven't given a lot of thoughts but collecting when you're dealer gotta be easier than otherwise. Richard, could you highlight some differences you've noticed over the years? popcorn.gif

BoyComics19GA.jpg

You can laugh, don't be shy! I went of a little spree with Richard, he just kept showing me more, and more.....I am weak, couldn't say no. Besides they all are not from Bedrock, 2 from ebay, and one from Gator! cloud9.gif

Allow me to digress for a moment here. As a dealer, it's surprising to hear that there are books on your want-list you don't have. I suspect you have it easier than us in finding books, right? I have then to assume that you meant you haven't found the "right" copy for your collection as I guess you want a HG copy? This is something I haven't given a lot of thoughts but collecting when you're dealer gotta be easier than otherwise. Richard, could you highlight some differences you've noticed over the years? popcorn.gif

In some ways it is easier to collect as a dealer because so many things pass through your fingers. It can also be a curse because so many things pass through your fingers. I am going to tell you a sad story. At one time I had the Larson copy of Mystery Men 10, as well as the Mile High copies of Wonderworld 7, 8, 11,12,13 and Science 3,6. Today, I would kill for that batch of books. In 1986, before I had my own store, I was offered the opportunity to manage a store in Houston. I was living in Austin at the time and needed money. I got offered the whopping total of $3500. FOR ALL OF THEM. In 1986 that was 3X guide! What fool wouldn't take it. I took it. I've regretted it ever since. We all have those books that we have passed on, or had and sold, or let slip away. As a dealer/collector that is magnified. I still am on a budget, and I vowed long ago never to do anything that directly competes with the store (I can't collect Silver Age Marvel because they sell too well). So I collect kinda like a sports team approaches a draft. When I have some extra dough I look for the best available talent. And now, once something is paid for and firmly in my collection I rarely even consider letting go of it (unless the price is right!)

I could burn Mr. Blondie to a crisp -- nah, I'll just flatten him with an All-American roundhouse punch while the fuse of that bomb next to my ankle burns down to a few millimeters!

Jack

WonderWorld22GA.jpg