• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Take a look under the table...I'm pretty sure that's the lost arc of the covenant.

I thought Indiana Jones found that? confused-smiley-013.gif

He did, back in the 1940s. But then Bangzoom bought it from him in 1965 for ten bucks.

Which at the time was actually over guide for the Arc, I believe...

Truly astounding accumulation, Mr. Bang... I am humbled yet inspired at the same time crazy.gif

What's the rush??

disapear.gif

Funnies45GA.jpg

I truly love this one... I'll admit to never having heard of or seen "Phantasmo" before as best I can recall... who's the artist on this?

I'm bemused by the scene depicted: I'm guessing that since it's the character's first appearance, they purposely left it ambiguous as to whether he's saving or attacking people here... I mean, looking at it objectively, it appears that Phantasmo is ripping a building in half, perhaps with the intention of hurling it on the people in the street? Regardless, it's wonderful stuff.

Thanks again for sharing, BZ - you've reminded me of why I got into collecting comics in the first place: the sheer wonder of it all... I think to some extent, seeing any obviously old comic for the first time brings back a bit of that sensation that used to strike me regularly in the early days of collecting...I think that's why so many long-time collectors on these boards, most of us jaded to a fair extent by now, are loving this thread. Sure, it's incredible to see the nicest, or one of the nicest, extant examples of a Supes 2 or etc., but seeing books I either never knew existed, or have never seen before, is an uncommon experience for many of us these days. And then to see them in such pristine shape, to boot!

BTW, I didn't see a Tarzan and the Golden Lion in there. That is the one I'm missing. Is it hidden in a pile? If you could put it front and center I will trade you a post of my favorite Tarzan piece. I think you will like it. (And it ain't a funnybook!)

Richard, I have a copy of the book, but it's without the dust jacket.

The best I can do is offer up a picture of the BLB or the serialized version which ran in Argosy All-Story 12/9/22 to 1/20/23.

bigoltarzan.jpg

BZ, please ignore the goofy looking guy at left but keep in mind I, er, he is 6 ft. 5 in.

This is a HUGE Jeff Jones Tarzan painting done as a commission after he did a calendar of Tarzan images in the late '90s. I got it indirectly through Heritage a few years back. Before getting it I thought comics were the be all and end all. But now I get to wake up every day and stare at this! So there you go....some All-Story please!

Here's a shot of the All-Story. ArgosyGA.jpg

BTW, I didn't see a Tarzan and the Golden Lion in there. That is the one I'm missing. Is it hidden in a pile? If you could put it front and center I will trade you a post of my favorite Tarzan piece. I think you will like it. (And it ain't a funnybook!)

Richard, I have a copy of the book, but it's without the dust jacket.

The best I can do is offer up a picture of the BLB or the serialized version which ran in Argosy All-Story 12/9/22 to 1/20/23.

bigoltarzan.jpg

BZ, please ignore the goofy looking guy at left but keep in mind I, er, he is 6 ft. 5 in.

This is a HUGE Jeff Jones Tarzan painting done as a commission after he did a calendar of Tarzan images in the late '90s. I got it indirectly through Heritage a few years back. Before getting it I thought comics were the be all and end all. But now I get to wake up every day and stare at this! So there you go....some All-Story please!

Wow December 9th, the date of the Tarzan, is my birthday! You know, I collect book that are in my birth month and year, but to actually see one on the day of my birthday. What a great present that would be. cloud9.gif

Funnies45GA.jpg

I truly love this one... I'll admit to never having heard of or seen "Phantasmo" before as best I can recall... who's the artist on this?

I'm bemused by the scene depicted: I'm guessing that since it's the character's first appearance, they purposely left it ambiguous as to whether he's saving or attacking people here... I mean, looking at it objectively, it appears that Phantasmo is ripping a building in half, perhaps with the intention of hurling it on the people in the street? Regardless, it's wonderful stuff.

Thanks again for sharing, BZ - you've reminded me of why I got into collecting comics in the first place: the sheer wonder of it all... I think to some extent, seeing any obviously old comic for the first time brings back a bit of that sensation that used to strike me regularly in the early days of collecting...I think that's why so many long-time collectors on these boards, most of us jaded to a fair extent by now, are loving this thread. Sure, it's incredible to see the nicest, or one of the nicest, extant examples of a Supes 2 or etc., but seeing books I either never knew existed, or have never seen before, is an uncommon experience for many of us these days. And then to see them in such pristine shape, to boot!

Thanks. I enjoy this website for the same reasons you do. I'm constantly seeing comics I've never seen before and that always comes as something of a surprise to me.

Phantasmo: What a unique character. His covers are like no others.

The artist is E.C. Stoner. According to Jerry Bails Who's Who in American Comic Books, Stoner was an African-American artist who lived from 1897-1969. His artistic credits are impressive. He was the creator of Mr. Peanut for Planters [at age 15]; painted murals for hotels and restaurants; worked for DC, Dell, EC, Fawcett, Fox, Harvey, Marvel, Street & Smith, and more.

Check this link for a full listing of his credits.

http://bailsprojects.com/(S(db5v5bbj0g053n45ank0qy2m))/whoswho.aspx

And ArgosyTarzanInsidePg2GA.jpg the 1st page to the Tarzan and the Golden Lion story.

Toys too?

I have no idea what that toy is, but seems likely its one of a kind, impossible to find, in perfect condition, and will blow the socks off some toy collectors on the boards. insane.gif

Yeah, that might be a good idea. I know, I have cut into a comic with mylar(good thing it was a Bronze Age book!). I am sure there are other forms of damage, if not properly inserted.

Again, I am a believer that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Quite a few forumites have posited this philosophy in the first hundred pages of this thread...at the risk of both sounding like a fool (always a first time for everything wink.gif) and perhaps repeating something said in the next 100 pages of the thread... isn't it possible that these books would be in even better shape if they'd been stored in mylars/boards/boxes for the past 30+ years? Hard to imagine, I realize... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll take you, Rick. Imagine our collection if we were a couple! cloud9.gif

(Only my second use of a graemlin!)

Well, I gave it my best shot...but I couldn't get past the imagining you and Rick as a couple...your "love-child pedigree collection" never even made it onstage... 893whatthe.gif

Well, I gave it my best shot...but I couldn't get past the imagining you and Rick as a couple...your "love-child pedigree collection" never even made it onstage... 893whatthe.gif

at least our towels could be monogramed the same smile.gif

Thanks for this, BZ. You are a true prince among men!

And ArgosyTarzanInsidePg2GA.jpg the 1st page to the Tarzan and the Golden Lion story.

And with this, you are now KING!!!!!!

Sorry about that Garth. Was it the coupling, or the birth that blew it for you?