• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Does this conversation about original art and it exploding value, vindicate such original art proponents as Krazykat? I missed a lot of his posts, but it seemed like that was all he talked about. Also, are there special needs for the preservation of original artwork? The appeal of original art for me, other than it's historical significance, is that it could be treated as artwork and displayed.

my opinion is that the core of what Brad Savage (KK) talks about has some merit, but this is obscured by his hyperbole and myopism.

KK wasn't banned because he promotes the collecting of OA. he was banned because he claims, and continues to claim, that buying comics is a waste of time and only a fool would "invest" in comics. it's all about the $$$$ for KK

Ahh, now I remember. I would tend to avoid his post because there was always a lot of fighting.

Does this conversation about original art and it exploding value, vindicate such original art proponents as Krazykat? I missed a lot of his posts, but it seemed like that was all he talked about. Also, are there special needs for the preservation of original artwork? The appeal of original art for me, other than it's historical significance, is that it could be treated as artwork and displayed.

my opinion is that the core of what Brad Savage (KK) talks about has some merit, but this is obscured by his hyperbole and myopism.

KK wasn't banned because he promotes the collecting of OA. he was banned because he claims, and continues to claim, that buying comics is a waste of time and only a fool would "invest" in comics. it's all about the $$$$ for KK

this person krazykat (who, in reality, is mild-mannered mortgage lender St....., whoops) was merely expressing first ammendment rights and got banned? Why?

this person krazykat (who, in reality, is mild-mannered mortgage lender St....., whoops) was merely expressing first ammendment rights and got banned? Why?

I seem to recall the ban being based on his constant attempts to bait other members into arguments. I don't recall anyone having a problem with his opinions about collecting original art but they did have a problem with what seemed like personal attacks on others who didn't share the same opinion.

Free speech has a lot to do not only with expressing your own opinion but allowing others to express theirs, even if it's contrary to your own, without the threat of attack or reprisal.

I seem to recall the ban being based on his constant attempts to bait other members into arguments. I don't recall anyone having a problem with his opinions about collecting original art but they did have a problem with what seemed like personal attacks on others who didn't share the same opinion.

Free speech has a lot to do not only with expressing your own opinion but allowing others to express theirs, even if it's contrary to your own, without the threat of attack or reprisal.

Evidently he also sent some very derogatory PMs so what you saw in the posts was just the tip of the tip of the issues with him.

Thanks for the heads up - i saw maybe half a dozen KK posts, and could never figure out why some of the listers here thought KK was Showcase-04 last year, which baffled me, cuz i know S-4 as well as BZ, or any number of other listers here, so, if what said be true, and i have no doubt, based on some of the ad hominum thrusts & parries sent my way on occasion re my comic book history research into the earlier 1800s, i can believe there might be a lunatic fringe who partake of these chat boards some times.

My recollection of the OA market is that it has always been pretty expensive and tracked comic prices fairly closely but I believe comics have recently far outpaced it. Back in the 80s you could get panel pages for $2 to $8. You could also get Avengers in the 20s for the same price. Covers were hundreds but Spiderman 1 was hundreds (maybe $800) as well.

Still, an 11/3/51 Peanuts strip. Oh wow. Where did you get it? Is there a cool story behind it?

I looked up the strip at Border's today - it's awesome! There is no text so it has not only timeless but also international appeal. It starts with Linus assembling a jigsaw puzzle on the floor with Snoopy completely absorbed watching his progress.

It is interesting that the following strip (11-5) sold at Heritage last August. I like this one a lot better!

...Still, an 11/3/51 Peanuts strip. Oh wow. Where did you get it? Is there a cool story behind it?

I guess the only cool story about it is that there was nothing memorable about its purchase. According to my record book, it was purchased from another collector (a long time ago) for $5.

However, here's something of a cool story. I have a 1967 Peanuts that was given to us free back in the 1960's, simply because we wrote to Schulz and asked for an original. laugh.gif

I looked up the strip at Border's today - it's awesome! There is no text so it has not only timeless but also international appeal. It starts with Linus assembling a jigsaw puzzle on the floor with Snoopy completely absorbed watching his progress.

It is interesting that the following strip (11-5) sold at Heritage last August. I like this one a lot better!

Thanks.

I didn't realize Peanuts strips were going for that much. crazy.gif

Thanks.

Pretty crazy right now.

BTW, your avatar is just... ducky!

Thanks.

Pretty crazy right now.

Hasn't the price of Peanuts OA gone up significantly because his estate is trying to buy them back up?

I know it is in the spirit of the times, Dena and all. But I gotta say I liked the old one better.

I know it is in the spirit of the times, Dena and all. But I gotta say I liked the old one better.

It's the lure of the cult. insane.gif

tongue.gif

Stepford Avatars

tongue.gif

Speaking of cults....there are many of us on these boards who belong to the Batman Cult, specifically the Detective 27 faction of the Batman cult....

So are you going to:

Show us the funny!!!!! ?? yay.gifpoke2.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

tongue.gif

Speaking of cults....there are many of us on these boards who belong to the Batman Cult, specifically the Detective 27 faction of the Batman cult....

So are you going to:

hi.gif

tongue.gif

So are you going to:

Wasn't it already mentioned that BZ didn't have a Suspense 3 an Action 1 and Detective 27? I can't quite remember. Still an amazing collection as it is, with very nice colors on the covers. If he did have any of those and they were from that original owner collection, I bet they are dazzling.

tongue.gif

So are you going to:

Wasn't it already mentioned that BZ didn't have a Suspense 3 an Action 1 and Detective 27? I can't quite remember. Still an amazing collection as it is, with very nice colors on the covers. If he did have any of those and they were from that original owner collection, I bet they are dazzling.

I recall him saying no action 1 (don't mean to speak for you BZ!)...but, fairly certain somewhere it was confirmed he has a tec 27...it was one of those :

"do you have action 1, tec 27, and something else" and his response was "no, yes, no"...

would have to search, but BZ can chime in, he ain't shy!

gator

ok, found it, march 17th

Re: " was there an Action #1 and/or Detective #1 and/or Detective #27 in the collection?"

In answer to your question: No, No, and Yes

so, that only means in this Washington DC collection...doesn't nec mean he didn't pick them up along the way elsewhere...

what say you BZ?....seems lots of folks are looking to know if

1) you still have a Tec 27

2) you have an Action 1

3) you have a Suspense 3

just paraphrasing for the hungry and underpriveledged (doesn't include you bedrock!)

personally, I will answer for me...

1-yes

2-sold it in 1995

3-never

gator

Edited by Detective27Kid